ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano for Temple Head Coach?

Perfect example of why everyone obsessing over recruiting rankings and average stars is useless.

Its coaching. It will also be coaching.
Recruiting rankings are meaningless at our level.
If giving out stars is more based on your camp performance measurables than actually dominating your opponent and success on the field... I agree with you.

As a matter of fact, I’d take the dominating, damn good football player over measurables and potential every time.

Knight Shift,

AG was what we needed in a HC at that time. Someone to destroy the cancer in our program and rebuild it from scratch. He was that guy. He instilled the discipline that was also missing but thankfully our program today is past that stage.

Can’t even begin to tell you how refreshing it is to have an AD that’s on the ball. He’s know from the day he hired GC that he wouldn’t be in Philly long if he had success so he’s more than prepared to line up viable candidates for the gig.

GC did a solid job and I thank him for keeping the train chugging along. Only demerit he had in my book was the lack of connections in the Northeast. That’s the one major thing I hope the successor will bring with him.

Definitely looking forward to next Sept 19 when we play GT at home.

Greg Schiano is to Rutgers, as Billy Martin was to the Yankees.

Both brought their teams back from irrelevance , and both always in the conversation for being the Skipper again.

Both Charismatic, media savvy, got the good players to come play for them. Both control freaks, both fan favorites, but both sometimes got more attention than their own teams.

Billy a bit crazier than Greg, though.

Not sure about the Billy Martin/Greg analogy.

Zap would be the guy who can comment on that one.

Temple is not a rebuild

Somehow given we were moving to the B1G and have a fanbase many multiples the size of Temple's, RU managed to fall behind them

It goes to show what good coaches and good leaders can do versus the slew of incompetence that has been in place since GS was here.

Man, when was the last year that Schiano coached at Rutgers? Because, his name comes up in every other thread on this message board. LOL
If you understood what this program was like before Schiano got here and what it has become since he left you'd understand why his name comes up so often.
It's entirely possible that the Rutgers football program peaked during the Schiano Era.

You know if Greg was hired to coach here again, fine, but the sheer lust – yes, LUST – some of you guys have for him, and getting him back here ,is kind of scary
Exactly how I feel. He would certainly be a huge upgrade over who we have now, but then again who wouldn't be?

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
You know if Greg was hired to coach here again, fine, but the sheer lust – yes, LUST – some of you guys have for him, and getting him back here ,is kind of scary
Maybe the lust you see is just desperation and knowing Rutgers probably won't spend what it takes to get someone better.

He might not be the best choice , if we could pick, but more than likely the best in the price range Rutgers is willing to pay.
I'm sure there are good candidates out there that would work in the price range RU would be willing to pay them, but would they be willing to jeopardize their coaching future at a school not fully committed to improving its football program financially.

Exactly how I feel. He would certainly be a huge upgrade over who we have now, but then again who wouldn't be?
101714-FSO-CFB-Kyle-Flood.vadapt.620.high.41.jpg

Maybe the lust you see is just desperation and knowing Rutgers probably won't spend what it takes to get someone better.

He might not be the best choice , if we could pick, but more than likely the best in the price range Rutgers is willing to pay.
I'm sure there are good candidates out there that would work in the price range RU would be willing to pay them, but would they be willing to jeopardize their coaching future at a school not fully committed to improving its football program financially.

What exactly do you think our price range would be?

Exactly and it is scary. And what is funny, there is zero chance that he will return to Rutgers, zero.
To answer your question, 7 years ago was the last time he coached here.

And you’re incorrect that there’s zero chance he’d return... from his end anyway.

Sorry but you do not have a clue if you think Schiano would return & agree to be paid in our price range, Schiano would demand over $4 million per, since we are now in the B1G, & that is NOT what RU will be willing to pay.

Sorry but you do not have a clue if you think Schiano would return & agree to be paid in our price range, Schiano would demand over $4 million per, since we are now in the B1G, & that is NOT what RU will be willing to pay.

Never said he would take an on the cheap salary, just said he'd be the best option for the money RU would be willing to pay .
Also ( in my opinion) Greg might not have many P-5 programs knocking at his door, but that doesn't mean he won't get a P-5 HC .

This is just speculation on who would be a good fit, not whose going to accept the job.

I Could have said Meyer would be a great option if RU was willing to pay big bucks, but that doesn't mean I'd expect Meyer to become RU's HC if they were willing to pay top dollar .

could happen... and wouldn't help RU.....

though, Ciarrocca seems like a natural fit... but, I'm probably forgetting something.......

You must have missed the Shea, Flood and Ash years. Also guessing GS blew you off at some point.

What exactly do you think our price range would be?
Around $2.5 mil , but remember properly funding his staff would be needed along with the cost of living in NJ being considered when talking a HC's salary.
Don't think Barchi would let Hobbs be too generous right after paying Ash off. :p

Perfect example of why everyone obsessing over recruiting rankings and average stars is useless.

Its coaching. It will also be coaching.
Recruiting rankings are meaningless at our level.

Are you kidding me? Legitimately are you actually serious that at our level, playing in the Big 10 east that recruiting rankings don't matter???

OK, so if you look at the past 4 seasons the three top recruiting teams in the Big 10 have been OSU, PSU and Michigan... But hey don't let on field results sway you from your conclusions!

Exactly, why would Schiano stoop to a non-power 5 job? Not gonna happen. I guess it’s funny to think that. The odds are ridiculous

Maybe because he might not get a p5 job. He goes to Temple and he gets a chance to hit the reset button. He knows the area and the area knows him. He will recruit south Jersey heavy as well as Penn. Temple is certainly not a rebuild so he can start winning right away. If he goes to three bowl games in four years he just might resurface as a hot p5 candidate.

Reactions: Abro1975
Are you kidding me? Legitimately are you actually serious that at our level, playing in the Big 10 east that recruiting rankings don't matter???

OK, so if you look at the past 4 seasons the three top recruiting teams in the Big 10 have been OSU, PSU and Michigan... But hey don't let on field results sway you from your conclusions!

We aren't recruiting at the level of OSU/PSU/UM.
I was referring to recruiting catergories - not conference affiliation.

Apparently we are #68 currently and Temple is #56. So Temple is better?

But then someone provided feedback that our average stars is 2.64 while Temple is only 2.25.

So we have a better class or do we have a worse class?
Do rankings matter or average stars?

Doesnt seem like the difference between the classes is very significant.

#25 class is clearly different than a #50 class.
But is #25 much different than #20 or #30?

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I get your point. With what happened at Tennessee. Do you think he would waste 3 years at a lower echelon school and not wait for an opportunity at any power 5? If that opportunity ever came knocking. Just wait another year, make the OSU defense better then pounce. But not Temple, really?

If giving out stars is more based on your camp performance measurables than actually dominating your opponent and success on the field... I agree with you.

As a matter of fact, I’d take the dominating, damn good football player over measurables and potential every time.

Great points! But do we know without extreme research?
I cant remeber who the coach was but they valued being a "hs team captain" highly.
I could also be misremebering and making that up

This is why I dont worry or get worked up over recruiting.

Every fanbase justifies why they arent ranked higher (our players didnt attend camps, rivals hates us, etc...) or why the ranking doesnt matter (remeber that 2 star from 7 yeara ago? He turned out great!).

A good coach can overcome lesser talent.
A bad coach can sink supreme talent.

Just give me competitive games and signs of progress on the field.

We aren't recruiting at the level of OSU/PSU/UM.
I was referring to recruiting catergories - not conference affiliation.

Apparently we are #68 currently and Temple is #56. So Temple is better?

But then someone provided feedback that our average stars is 2.64 while Temple is only 2.25.

So we have a better class or do we have a worse class?
Do rankings matter or average stars?

Doesnt seem like the difference between the classes is very signifiMayvcant.

#25 class is clearly different than a #50 class.
But is #25 much different than #20 or #30?
I've said similar forever. I've always said I view recruiting as tiered pyramid with the tiers getting wider as you go down. Arbitrarily say 1-10, 11-30, 31-70, etc.....Identifying and developing players that fit your system is very important especially the lower down the college status totem pole you are.

IIRC Mike Leach is 2-2 in his last 4 meetings vs USC....wanna compare their recruiting rankings?

Maybe now with USC's KK hire that might change and they may have finally found a guy who can identify and develop players that fit a system and will also be quite talented physically....teacher vs. pupil in the PAC12.

Geez Nuts, don’t you miss all those bowl parties you planned.
Without GS around your festivities are missed by all of us

Which has ZERO to do with the fact that others can get us back there. [thumb2]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT