ADVERTISEMENT

Football Schiano has changed

“You know, I always tell parents when we recruit their sons, your job's not done, but we are going to help you finish the process and the only reason we are recruiting your son is we believe in him as a young man, so we are going to make sure that he finishes his development and we are going to be the parents away from home."

He should have credited my wife for this quote...hahaha it was her question to each coach that came through the door. Took him a couple of minutes to think about it before answering but that was basically it after he told he that it was a great question that he hadnt been asked previously.
He finished this quote by telling her that is why he always felt it important to meet a recruit in their home environment along with their parent or gaurdian. So he could see the roots already ingrained in the player. Told us he was not perfect and sometimes he may make a mistake on a kid, He would give a kid a second chance unless what they are doing or did affected another parent's child who was there under his protection.

You would think all HC's would have a similar answer but believe me, many fail to answer this simple question so honestly and clear.

Very important quote and if he sticks to it.....I think he's got a chance.

“There's a saying that I've really tried to stick to in the last five years or so, and that's keep the main thing the main thing,” Schiano said. “I think a lot of times you can get worried about every single thing, and yeah, sure, everything's important, but if everything's important, nothing's important. I think I've learned that I'm in charge of the main thing and I've got to keep focused on the main thing. There are going to be other people that can take care of other stuff, but when someone trusts their son with me, I've got four kids; anybody messes with my kids, that's going to be a bad day, right. But when they trust their kid with me, I've got a big, big responsibility and I've got to make sure I keep my focus on them.

Very important quote and if he sticks to it.....I think he's got a chance.

“There's a saying that I've really tried to stick to in the last five years or so, and that's keep the main thing the main thing,” Schiano said. “I think a lot of times you can get worried about every single thing, and yeah, sure, everything's important, but if everything's important, nothing's important. I think I've learned that I'm in charge of the main thing and I've got to keep focused on the main thing. There are going to be other people that can take care of other stuff, but when someone trusts their son with me, I've got four kids; anybody messes with my kids, that's going to be a bad day, right. But when they trust their kid with me, I've got a big, big responsibility and I've got to make sure I keep my focus on them.
Love the quote and all that but Schiano has always focused on the kids hasn't he? I've read the stories about being in the hospital next to Legrand and the kids who were in the car crash? He's always been great in that sense hasn't he?

Love the quote and all that but Schiano has always focused on the kids hasn't he? I've read the stories about being in the hospital next to Legrand and the kids who were in the car crash? He's always been great in that sense hasn't he?
Yea but that’s not part I’m talking about I’m talking about delegation and focusing on the big picture.

Yes but you missed the point, he was saying all that micro management he was doing was hurting his recruiting and he wasn’t all focused on his players, not that he wasn’t doing a bad job , but he could have done better. He learned from Urban Myer recruiting methods that he wasn’t all that great at what he was doing the first time around, even dealing with his own two sons recruitment was humbling for him .

Reactions: hiwater
Sounds like the same ole Father Greg/FAMILY stuff. I imagine Urban was more focused on football and less on Boy's Town. Could be worse I suppose.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
No , Greg is different than his first time here. If you have learned anything regarding Meyers and Schiano it is they are both firm in their faith based lives.

Reactions: ashokan and jeffro5
No , Greg is different than his first time here. If you have learned anything regarding Meyers and Schiano it is they are both firm in their faith based lives.

Yes and I admire that. I just hope Greg does more on the football side and less on the social worker. He cant be 3rd parent to 100 guys. I'm sure Meyers knows that because nobody accuses him of being a "bad game day coach" because he was not all together on Saturdays. Greg was a great "game day" coach for bowls. During the season he could be ragged. As he himself has said, If you want to be the best coach you can be, coach in the NFL, because recruiting HS players while you are playing your games adds other responsibilities

We all need to agree once and for all ... it is about the quality of the players we recruit ...90 % of players rated at 4-5 * levels have a greater chance of success under good coaching...2 and 3* players either improve or get lost in the equation...we now have an opportunity with top level staff and better athletes to actually become the program NJ deserves.

“You know, I always tell parents when we recruit their sons, your job's not done, but we are going to help you finish the process and the only reason we are recruiting your son is we believe in him as a young man, so we are going to make sure that he finishes his development and we are going to be the parents away from home."

He should have credited my wife for this quote...hahaha it was her question to each coach that came through the door. Took him a couple of minutes to think about it before answering but that was basically it after he told he that it was a great question that he hadnt been asked previously.
He finished this quote by telling her that is why he always felt it important to meet a recruit in their home environment along with their parent or gaurdian. So he could see the roots already ingrained in the player. Told us he was not perfect and sometimes he may make a mistake on a kid, He would give a kid a second chance unless what they are doing or did affected another parent's child who was there under his protection.

You would think all HC's would have a similar answer but believe me, many fail to answer this simple question so honestly and clear.
Doubt very much your wife was the first Mom to ask this question. Good question though.

We all need to agree once and for all ... it is about the quality of the players we recruit ...90 % of players rated at 4-5 * levels have a greater chance of success under good coaching...2 and 3* players either improve or get lost in the equation...we now have an opportunity with top level staff and better athletes to actually become the program NJ deserves.
Physically yes but my math tells me your math is wrong. I think what you mean, and I agree, is the teams that recruit only 4s and 5s have a higher chance of success. Some of those kids are game ready. Some are great kids but some are poison. So we did well with the 2s and 3s who had heart. Tough to do it every year and depth can be a concern with that formula as we have seen. But not every highly rated kid has success and it’s much lower than 90%. Much lower.

heln9BY2-dxU_tYfJk44lWA-ZfWiHv08Cgvk7wvfBDU.gif

Did Kev clean the kitchen to Jackie's satisfaction before said meeting took place? ;-)

Reactions: MrsScrew
Did Kev clean the kitchen to Jackie's satisfaction before said meeting took place? ;-)
Hahaha and his room...Greg and Rizzi sat nice and quiet, shoes off and hand in lap as they waited. She did let them have a piece of her mind for ignoring him for so long and then showing up unannounced.

As one would say, she set the tone as to who was in charge...lol

Everyone laughing and having a great time at the end but that is how my wife rolls,?as you know.

You know that’s not true , star rating don’t mean much and if you look at other teams in the big , some of those 2 and 3 stare rated athletes are better than some of those 4 or 5 star . Tracy Mcsorley , ray rice and Brian Leonard were 3 stare athletes, not saying we can’t use 4 or 5 stare but it not necessary to get there and beat the best , Michigan State is a prime example of this and it pretty much falls on good development of of the players

You know that’s not true , star rating don’t mean much and if you look at other teams in the big , some of those 2 and 3 stare rated athletes are better than some of those 4 or 5 star . Tracy Mcsorley , ray rice and Brian Leonard were 3 stare athletes, not saying we can’t use 4 or 5 stare but it not necessary to get there and beat the best , Michigan State is a prime example of this and it pretty much falls on good development of of the players
Always a better hit rate with 4/5 stars but I would take this 2/3 star offense all day long - Haslam, Sosa, Fladell, Stapleton, Stephenson Kroft, Underwood, Sanu, (Sr Teel/Nova) Rice, Leonard All day long even in the B1G East. Give me the Twins, Greenes, Gerualt, Ryan D's and many other DB's and LB's we have had. DL is the only area of concern. We had some really good 2/3 star DL that played for us but usually undersized and in the B1G, that would really hurt.

Always a better hit rate with 4/5 stars but I would take this 2/3 star offense all day long - Haslam, Sosa, Fladell, Stapleton, Stephenson Kroft, Underwood, Sanu, (Sr Teel/Nova) Rice, Leonard All day long even in the B1G East. Give me the Twins, Greenes, Gerualt, Ryan D's and many other DB's and LB's we have had. DL is the only area of concern. We had some really good 2/3 star DL that played for us but usually undersized and in the B1G, that would really hurt.

RU had a functional offense with that level of recruiting about 4 out of the last 20 years, and that was playing against, mostly, worse defenses than they will see in the Big Ten. Yes, for a period of time the talent all came together and was top notch. That was a very short period of time and it fell apart well before Schiano left.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Yeah but nobody is thinking we win the division with that. They are just hoping for 6 wins and a bowl.

The defense in 2013 was great. You could see that again in a few years.

Win a couple bowls and see where it goes.

He seems happy to be at RU. He's a smart guy. No doubt he learned a lot since 2012.

RU had a functional offense with that level of recruiting about 4 out of the last 20 years, and that was playing against, mostly, worse defenses than they will see in the Big Ten. Yes, for a period of time the talent all came together and was top notch. That was a very short period of time and it fell apart well before Schiano left.
Yes, I was very selective...lol which is why I started with my first line. Throw 4 stars like Davis, Zuttah, Britt, Carroo into the mix and you improve upon the team of 2/3 star all stars I built. Add in the 4/5 stars we missed out on and we are even better.
We are not going to be a .500+ team consistantly with just 2/3 star players. We just can't just look down on every 2/3 star that does commit to us.

Reactions: MoobyCow
We are not going to be a .500+ team consistantly with just 2/3 star players. We just can't just look down on every 2/3 star that does commit to us.

No, we can't, but we can be concerned if it turns out that we're filling up with just 2/3 star recruits at the current rate. The last two coaches did that, and for the first couple years they were here we had a bunch of people telling us why OUR 2/3* recruits were underrated and would get the job done. Eventually, the law of averages catches up to almost everyone.

That said, this year is what it is. It's the next one that counts. If we don't have a couple of 4* and a good amount of high 3* things won't end well.

IMO, his "experience" at Tampa Bay brought his ego and self worth back to reality.

Maybe giving him that land to built his house was the wrong move. Did his "head" get to Joe Pathetic size ?

Not everyone gets a second chance. This is/can be his. He's still a relatively young man in the coaching profession.

Urbana's Assistants spend about 90 % of their time recruiting and 10 % of their time coaching 'em up. (This told me from an ex Ohio Status Assistant under Urbana.) That won't work at RU at this time.

He evolved as a HC the first time. I was in the meeting where Bob Mul 'advised' him to get the team's GPA into acceptable ranges. From then on every player had to report to his position coach on a weekly basis, EVERYTHING, that was happening academically that week. GA's were sent out to check for attendance and even where the player's sat in class.
Soon the team was first in the country in graduating kids/men.

I am very interested in what Greg get's done in a very short time frame, 2-3 years.

As I said, I look forward to hearing the squawks from faculty when he wants and gets 200 million from Donations, etc to build a new 100,000 seat Stadium at the current site.

IMO, his "experience" at Tampa Bay brought his ego and self worth back to reality.

Maybe giving him that land to built his house was the wrong move. Did his "head" get to Joe Pathetic size ?

Not everyone gets a second chance. This is/can be his. He's still a relatively young man in the coaching profession.

Urbana's Assistants spend about 90 % of their time recruiting and 10 % of their time coaching 'em up. (This told me from an ex Ohio Status Assistant under Urbana.) That won't work at RU at this time.

He evolved as a HC the first time. I was in the meeting where Bob Mul 'advised' him to get the team's GPA into acceptable ranges. From then on every player had to report to his position coach on a weekly basis, EVERYTHING, that was happening academically that week. GA's were sent out to check for attendance and even where the player's sat in class.

I am very interested in what Greg get's done in a very short time frame, 2-3 years.

As I said, I look forward to hearing the squawks from faculty when he wants and gets 200 million from Donations, etc to build a new 100,000 seat Stadium at the current site.

Glad to see you back on the board.

As for the last part, the faculty already "squawked" as loudly as they could when GS was just hired. It made news for about a day. So long as the administration (AD, President) and governor are on board, there will not be a problem with building the contemplated facility.

I'm not sure there will be a need for stadium expansion. Live event attendance is shrinking in general, and in college football even with the best teams. And, Rutgers is in the Big Ten so there is nothing to "prove" this time around. No reason to run anything like that again. The stadium needs should be limited to maintenance and whatever they decide on luxury boxes.

Agree but the undersize theory is a problem in the big and that’s why it’s important to mix it up , some of those undersized D linemen can come in handy because of the speed for example Eric foster , Eric Legrand , Ramel Meeks who were quick enough to beat blocks. It’s going to be interesting because this roster only problem is some size and speed

I'm not sure there will be a need for stadium expansion. Live event attendance is shrinking in general, and in college football even with the best teams. And, Rutgers is in the Big Ten so there is nothing to "prove" this time around. No reason to run anything like that again. The stadium needs should be limited to maintenance and whatever they decide on luxury boxes.
Agree with this.

Get all the other bells and whistles for the players first and then as you said work on the Stadium.

Hey you can dream.

I'm just spit balling on if they could do what Cuse did with tearing down Archbold and building Carrier Dome on the same footprint.

Dig deep down into the hill for the height required for an surrounding upper deck. Multi=level parking structures instead of lots and buses.

Play games at Giants/Jets/Eagles for a year on the build.

Eventually the BTN multi-millions may disappear and then you will need fannies in the seat income.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Agree with this.

Get all the other bells and whistles for the players first and then as you said work on the Stadium.
I actually think it can be an advantage if we can get back to a full crazy crowd and keep the stadium the same size. I have heard from many opposing players that our “little” stadium was as disruptive as a lot of the 100k places. Even more so because it was coming from 50k on top of the stadium not 100kna mile away...

He has 8 yrs and if he delivers, the donors will help with that and big ten revenue will be coming in so I don’t think it will be a problem .

I actually think it can be an advantage if we can get back to a full crazy crowd and keep the stadium the same size. I have heard from many opposing players that our “little” stadium was as disruptive as a lot of the 100k places. Even more so because it was coming from 50k on top of the stadium not 100kna mile away...
That was my point without even saying it. And Kirbie and Fowler on ESPN agree.

Some examples...

- Little old lady Michigan fan at the Dragon game in a slightly scared/nervous voice...”Is it always this loud?”

- WVU snow game, Jamison scores on 4th down. I was on the concourse because my two boys who were much younger at the time got soaked from playing in the snow at our seats so I was warming them up and didn’t see what happened...but I heard it. Not even a full house and I thought a bomb went off.

There’s loud and there is our loud, which I call the Jersey Roar. We get that back...:pimp:

Go back to '06 Louisville game and listen to Herbstreit. He couldn't believe how loud it was. And that was with an open south end and only what 49,000? Linemen were jumping offside because they couldn't hear the snap count. 1st Penn State and Michigan games were equally crazy. Nobody makes noise like New Jersey.

Go back to '06 Louisville game and listen to Herbstreit. He couldn't believe how loud it was. And that was with an open south end and only what 49,000? Linemen were jumping offside because they couldn't hear the snap count. 1st Penn State and Michigan games were equally crazy. Nobody makes noise like New Jersey.
You get the glory eyed disbelief in teams and their fans the first time they come in and experience it. I don’t care who the player or coach is, they just don’t believe it until it is happening to them. They really can’t believe they should have needed to prepare for it coming here. Can’t wait to have this again.

It was officially even less than that but who knows how many people were actually inside.

Almost as many who say they were at the Temple game in the rain. Almost.

You get the glory eyed disbelief in teams and their fans the first time they come in and experience it. I don’t care who the player or coach is, they just don’t believe it until it is happening to them. They really can’t believe they should have needed to prepare for it coming here. Can’t wait to have this again.
Shoe’s Willard said it was his fault for not preparing his players for what they experienced at the RAC on Saturday.

And this is a guy who understands it. Imagine those who don’t? LOL

Again, there is loud and there is our loud.

Last edited:

$200 mil does not build a 100,000 seat stadium in Jersey. It cost us $100 mil to expand current stadium by 10,000 seats.

It was officially even less than that but who knows how many people were actually inside.

Almost as many who say they were at the Temple game in the rain. Almost.
I actually think there were more than the announced number to be honest. As player parents we were moved into the corner near the temp stands where we were always pretty much mid field or 35-40 us line.
Can say never been to a sporting event that load from beginning to end including most late 90’s Yankee WS, Mets in 86 and the Knick/Heat playoffs

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Not what that NC State coach you, huh? :-)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT