ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Scott Vallone promoted to TEs coach

Scott Vallone is not only a good recruiter, a former RU player and loyal son he can actually coach offense and defense. Great move coach Schiano.
I read a profile about former Eagles WR Todd Pinkston who is now a RB coach for the KC Chiefs under Reid. He said that if you want to coach at the next level, you need to have knowledge to coach at all positions.

I read a profile about former Eagles WR Todd Pinkston who is now a RB coach for the KC Chiefs under Reid. He said that if you want to coach at the next level, you need to have knowledge to coach at all positions.
100% makes sense.

A defensive tackle - coaching tight ends? Yea that group should be electric

Agreed.
I'm not a fan of "hires for recruiting".
We already have limited offensive coaches.
I'd rather a coach with a history of coaching the position.

The big upgrade from the first staff to the current staff was replacing the offensive coaches with veterans coaches and not prioritizing recruiting.

I think he will likely focus on OL and blocking schemes with them. It’s not as if the offensive coaches will be prevented from coaching the TEs. That said, Scott could’ve picked up broader knowledge and has evolved over his coaching career. Let’s face it, can we do worse? I also didn’t expect Mark Bavaro to come out of retirement to take the position.

Agreed.

The big upgrade from the first staff to the current staff was replacing the offensive coaches with veterans coaches and not prioritizing recruiting.
Scott has experience at this point.

Scott has experience at this point.

Agree to disagree.
We only get 10 coaching positions.
I've long advocated offense should have 6 positions to 4 for defense (why does OC have to cover a position but DC never does? Until this year where we incredibly need 2 different DL coaches - I'm getting off topic).

With only 5, every position needs to provide maximum coaching impact.
Literally look at the OL once we hired a real coach and not a recruiter.

Resume:
DL in college
Multiple years coaching DL/LB prior to Rutgers
Then various 5 years of Offensive/Defensive analyst roles at Rutgers.

Reactions: RUShea
Agree to disagree.
I've long advocated offense should have 6 positions to 4 for defense (why does OC have to cover a position but DC never does? Until this year where we incredibly need 2 different DL coaches - I'm getting off topic).

Resume:
DL in college
Who was on your hot list for the job?

Who was on your hot list for the job?

That's not my job.
But my requirement would have been at least 1 year as an offensive position coach - let alone TE coach.

This isn't a new argument and has nothing to do with Vallone personally.
It's why I think Syracuse made a terrible hire with HC Brown.

I don't really care about recruiting.
Get the best players all you want.
You can't just roll the ball out.
Need coaches to actually develop players and put them in positions to succeed.

Reactions: RUShea
That's not my job.
But my requirement would have been at least 1 year as an offensive position coach - let alone TE coach.

Fair enough. But do you really feel that GS is just rolling the ball out with Vallone? The guy has experience at lower levels where he had to teach and develop. I think it’s important that coaches understand how everything fits together.

And the other thing is how much do you want to spend on a position coach in a NIL world?

Did Miami rollout the ball when Schiano at age 30 years old became their DC ? Relax he’s going to do fine.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
That's not my job.

If you had half a brain you would be dangerous. Vallone played DL and coached Oline under Flats… coached at Fordham …. Was an analyst… he has earned the shot . He is a very good rep of what a Rutgers guy is.

Someone has to throw the ball in their general vicinity and call plays in which they are participants for them to be electric. If you want the appliances to work, they have to be plugged in and turned on.

Reactions: RUNVA
I also find it interesting that prior to returning to Rutgers, Vallone spent two years at Fordham with his second year as Associate Head Coach. It's the Patriot League, but he certainly seemed to make a decent impression in his short time there.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Agree to disagree.

Resume:
DL in college

I'm going to guess that Schiano knows if he will be a good fit which is why he hired him. To say he can't coach TE's because he didn't play the position is just silly.

I thought I always read the TE coach is more of a recruiter anyway. Blocking can be taught by the OL coach and passing game by WR coach. I think Scott will be fine.

Agreed.

Hmmm…. You wouldn’t take fran brown if he wanted to come here? I would in a heart beat.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I trust Schiano and feel like Scott is a rising star in the profession. Also, you can't put a $1M guy at every coaching position. There has to be a budget.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Masterful....2.0 figured out a way to be even more defense-oriented. By 2025 we'll be punting on 3rd down.

Vallone has always risen to the occasion and performed well at his job. I suspect he has the same vision as his HC since he first came to Rutgers as a player back in 2008. He is well versed in developing a player … doesn’t matter to me or most whether he played that position.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
The lack of knowledge on this board is beyond dangerous. Just because a guy played one position doesn't mean he can't coach another. When you play a sport like football at a high level, you are exposed to details of almost every position. Most coaches don't coach the position they played. Also, coaches attend clinics to learn the newest techniques in the sport. I wish some posters learn a few things other than speaking with little to no knowledge of what it takes to be a coach

Vallone has always risen to the occasion and performed well at his job. I suspect he has the same vision as his HC since he first came to Rutgers as a player back in 2008. He is well versed in developing a player … doesn’t matter to me or most whether he played that position.
Exactly
He has been coaching the o-line the past few years and what do the TE’s mostly do in this offense?

Block

And for those who day that one can’t coach a position if they didn’t play it….really need to get a clue

Agree to disagree.

Resume:
DL in college
Isn't our DC also handling the linebackers?

The lack of knowledge on this board is beyond dangerous. Just because a guy played one position doesn't mean he can't coach another. When you play a sport like football at a high level, you are exposed to details of almost every position. Most coaches don't coach the position they played. Also, coaches attend clinics to learn the newest techniques in the sport. I wish some posters learn a few things other than speaking with little to no knowledge of what it takes to be a coach
Thank You cubuffdoug and who would know better than a former player like you. There are many Rutgers board members who understand multiple sports, coaching and athletic abilities. I have found several who no matter what are only posting to knock Rutgers in most sports. The Vallone hire for me is solid all around . Schiano could have gone several different routes …he chose Scott Vallone who embodies Rutgers values and who projects to a hire level someday.

Isn't our DC also handling the linebackers?

Correct - this year.
Previously the staff broke down:
OC/QB, RB, TE, WR, OL (5)
DC, DL, LB, S, CB (5)

While we fixed my common complaint of "why does the OC have to cover a position group but the DC doesn't?"
We fixed it in the opposite way I would have liked.
My point was assign the DC to a position to allow for a specific-designated QB coach to take that staff spot.
Especially since we have a career defensive HC who could help with coverage on coaching the defense..

Instead we assigned the DC to a position group to hire a 2nd DL coach (apparently to prioritize recruiting):
OC/QB, RB, WR, TE, OL (5)
DC/LB, DL, DE, CB, S (5)

If the DC can also cover LB, then I would have preferred we prioritize a coach for the most important position on the team.

Blocking TE U

As you say, and also intimated on TKR podcast that Vallone is basically an OL coach in training - why bother with a TE coach at all?
If the philosophy under OC KC is TEs are just another blocker, go all the way and have OL Flaherty in charge of them.

Use that coaching spot for a dedicated QB coach to work with Wimsatt, AK, Surace etc.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT