ADVERTISEMENT

Football Sean Gleeson officially out as OC; Nunz Campanile as interim OC

Back to the hs coach that called the plays in 2019. Not progress
That "HS coach" will have the guys ready to play when they hit the field with a chance to make plays if they execute. Won't be the ridiculous chaos and indecision we've been witness to. If the guys don't make plays, it's on them. That's all you can ask.
Games are hard enough without shooting yourself in the foot on a regular basis.

Needed to happen, but I'm not sure anyone could've done better this year with the injuries and the way the roster is constructed.
Maybe. Maybe not. But I’m unbelievably sick and tired of an OC taking 25-30 seconds to decide what play he wants and then watching the offense scramble to beat the play clock only to see Gleeson looking completely puzzled and unsure of himself on the sideline. If nothing else, give me somebody who won’t be overwhelmed and at the very least look the part. A coach with no confidence will lead an offense with no confidence. F that.

Sooooo Schiano wasn’t controlling the offense?

Of course he had input, he's the head coach. Was he calling all the plays. No way.. Did you ever see Schiano publicly go off on an assistant coach on the sidelines as much as he did with Gleeson? If Gleeson was his lapdog, he'd still be our OC.

Last edited:
Most likely a move made to try to help us in recruiting (or at least not destroy us). It’s been getting harder and harder to get offensive recruits here….at least this has an unknown element of maybe the next guy will be better.

For those wondering....

Gleeson makes $1,025,000 in 2022 and $1,050,000 in 2023. Gleeson would have owed Rutgers a $1 million buyout penalty if he left prior to Feb. 28, 2022; the buyout dropped to $350,000 after that and to $250,000 in March 2023. There is no penalty if Gleeson leaves after the final regular season game in 2023, and any penalty will be waived if he becomes an FBS or NFL head coach.
This will get glossed over by many who just want to see change, but the sunk cost of over $1.5MM to get rid of an OC is an issue that no one will be held accountable for. Will be interesting to see how much we are willing to spend on a replacement. I don't recall Nunzio doing anything special offensively when he took over for Ash a few years ago. Again IMHO the issue is a lack of talent as much as coaching.

A change was needed. At least we won't have to continue read his name being misspelled.

the-honeymooners-homina.gif

DONzn7BX0AAdpw5.jpg

That "HS coach" will have the guys ready to play when they hit the field with a chance to make plays if they execute. Won't be the ridiculous chaos and indecision we've been witness to. If the guys don't make plays, it's on them. That's all you can ask.
Games are hard enough without shooting yourself in the foot on a regular basis.
Sure . Gleeson needed to go . But no one can be happy that the hs coach that called plays on the woeful 2019 team and part of the ash disaster, is where we are in October2022. Not exactly what we hoped greg would have accomplished by now

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
"Gleeson is a New Jersey native who came to Rutgers after spending the 2019 season as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Oklahoma State. He arrived there after a successful stint at Princeton, where he earned a reputation for explosive and creative offenses."

So much for that.
The King Is Dead - Long Live The King!

ZLxX93m.jpg

Sure . Gleeson needed to go . But no one can be happy that the hs coach that called plays on the woeful 2019 team and part of the ash disaster, is where we are in October2022. Not exactly what we hoped greg would have accomplished by now
Who else did Greg have a choice of? No one hires a brand new OC in the middle of a season.

I felt like Lebron winning his first championship when I saw the news.... " IT'S ABOUT D*MN TIME!"

It had to be done no question

Whether the problems still exist because of Schiano is up in the air
This we can agree on.
My opinion is when a cordonator is fired for his responsibilty not preforming it's best, sometimes the HC bears a lot of responsibility for that failure because of the restrictions placed on how that part of the team is run.

I don’t see things going much better. Maybe even more conservative.
Hmmm... The team doesn't have a strong throwing game now, and I can't help but remember our passing attack in the 2019 Indiana game that Coach Campanile planned and orchestrated... 5-13 passing, for 1 yard total. That's an average yards per attempt of 0.077 yards (2.77 inches)..... Hopefully the RU passing attack will be somewhat better under Coach Campanile against Indiana this time.. I think even Noah with his injury should be able to average better than 2.77 inches per attempt... 😉

Seriously though, hopefully this change will result in some noticeable improvement on offense during the rest of the season, and Coach Gleeson won't turn out to be a sacrificial lamb who wasn't the person most responsible for the problems after all.

I am not saying it shouldn’t be nunzio . I am saying we expected better by this point , right ?
Wanted better yes. No hire is automatic home run ( at least with our budget). I'm pleasantly surprised the trigger was pulled now and not later for cost savings. Nunzio has bye week to game plan & hope we get 1 healthy QB to go with. Nothing to lose with Nunzio. If he pulls out Ws he may win the job, if not, we have a head start finding a good OC.

Reactions: RW90 and KevH
Gleeson struggled to successfully utilize an admittedly limited roster. But the fact is that in college, if you're the OC and you don't have to personnel to run your offense, that means you're not recruiting on the level you need to and that's still on you.

Plus, there was clearly limited creativity here; we were sitting in the upper deck and calling the plays nearly every down.

Noah Vedral up the middle.

I hate to see anybody get fired, but this was justified. Gleeson's offense is not the style of offense Schiano prefers (he clearly wants a Norv Turner clone with elements of the wildcat splashed in). And Gleeson's offense can't function at all with a bad QB and below average (for the Big Ten) offensive line; the plays take waaaayyyy to long to develop.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I was told Gleeson was OC at OSU in name only on game days.
There are articles on Gundy giving up duties many years ago. If you look at Ok St games he doesn’t have a play sheet or anything. Yurcich went on to get jobs after time there and Kasey Dunn now is getting some play as an up and coming name.

Gundy might be involved somewhat in game planning like any head coach but don’t think he’s deeply involved in calling plays.

Leach calls plays, Kelly calls plays, Day calls plays, Riley calls plays and I’m sure there are some others I’m forgetting but many don’t. I don’t think Heupel does nor Dykes. Riley’s younger brother is calling plays from the sideline for Dykes and Golesh is up in the booth for Heupel.

So GS let SG go because he didn’t like the offense that SG was running even though GS was actually the one controlling the offense?

I’m just trying to make sure I’m following everyone’s logic.
I think you can follow, it’s not that tough.
Haven’t you seen enough OC’s and DC’s get fired in your life.
I’m sure you know head coaches have a huge input into the game plan and can over rule or ask for what they want, whenever they want.
It’s not rocket science.
How about what do you think?
Personally I think GS has a huge influence on the offense and personnel

Gleason was supposed to be this QB whisperer. I don’t see one bit of improvement in any of our QB’s. He also supposedly had good connections in Texas and was going to recruit a good QB

Of course he had input, he's the head coach. Was he calling all the plays. No way.. Did you ever see Schiano publicly go off on an assistant coach on the sidelines as much as he did with Gleeson? If Gleeson was his lapdog, he'd still be our OC.
Could someone post the sideline video of GS going at SG?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT