ADVERTISEMENT

Football Sean Gleeson to Rutgers as OC/QB coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great hire. Now go out and get one of these guys as DC to show the world we're serious about winning

ap_colts_bills_football_84235274-e1482860976739.jpg

Yup I like the hire...first OC in quite awhile I've felt good about. Not sure if home run like some think hard to say since not a lot of time at the P5 level but I like his potential and think we might finally see the kind of offense I think can help us be more productive. Might be some growing pains at first but then after that let's see.
R Guy football is football at any level. Only difference is talent levels. What makes a good coach is how he game plans for next opponent be it at Princeton Ok State and now RU. Time at P5 level should not have you worried. Seemed to have a good year at Ok State

Andrew Aurich has been bandied about for that position...he's the current OC at Princeton and was OL coach before that and worked with GS in TB too.

Matt Limegrover was also let go at PSU and he's been a good OL coach in his career at Minny and PSU too.

PSU is going after the BC OL coach.
Rumor from source is Aurich strong possibility and a lot depended on if Gleason was hired. Draw your own conclusions

Reactions: Block R
Rumor from source is Aurich strong possibility and a lot depended on if Gleason was hired. Draw your own conclusions
I figured. Kendal Briles has brought Randy Clements the OL coach with him to couple stops and now Jeff Lebby another former Baylor guy added Clements when he got the Ole Miss job moving from UCF.

Lashlee is bringing some SMU QC guy with him to Miami now that he’s the OC there.

So Aurich seems very logical especially with the previous GS connection and on top of it being currently in state doesn’t hurt either.

R Guy football is football at any level. Only difference is talent levels. What makes a good coach is how he game plans for next opponent be it at Princeton Ok State and now RU. Time at P5 level should not have you worried. Seemed to have a good year at Ok State
I take it like anything else be it HC or player what have you when you step up a level do you still have it consistently. Hard to know for sure until you actually see it. The level of competition and capability of coaches on the other sideline gets better every time you step up a level.

Take for example Beau Baldwin. He was lighting up scoreboards as the HC of EWU in the FCS. He was Wilcox' OC at Cal, now since moved on to HC at Cal Poly, but they didn't come close to that productivity he had at EWU. One of the exceptions I'd say that was actually showing results on the back of their defense rather than offense. Regardless that offensive output never materialized for Baldwin there, not even close...kinda wonder if he was politely shown the door this offseason because of that. Kerwin Bell at USF this year from Leach's old stomping ground at Valdosta State is another example although he was at USF only for a year and now Strong has been fired.

Phil Longo is another coming from the FCS but much better than those 2 and illustrating the same point a little differently. NJ guy, Leach disciple and a coach that I think is a solid good coach and a name I like. Highest scoring offense in the FCS and he did a nice job at Ole Miss and now UNC...his offenses have been ranked pretty well in the P5. But even for him at Ole Miss one of the critiques was they would put up gaudy numbers against the weaker competition and flop against the top of the SEC. So again that sort of step up in level, 1/2 step if you will, against the top of the P5 in the SEC can you still perform. Every time you step up in competition is another proving ground IMO.

Gleeson had a solid year at Ok. State no doubt about, Chubba Hubbard certainly helps but luckily one thing we're not usually short of is quality RBs....who are capable maybe not lead the country types but more than capable. But he was under Gundy there and running things in the constructs of Gundy's offense. Here hopefully he's going to have free rein but that's a double edged sword. So it's great for him and you can do what you see fit but then it's also all on you and that part we don't know until we see it on this level. It's not a worry that's specifically related to Gleeson, who as I said I like, it's a concern for any coach who hasn't done it yet "all on their own" consistently at the P5 level, including some Leach tree coaches who everyone knows I like.

Much as I’ve been critical of schiano I feel the opposite about the Gleason hire. He’s a tremendous pickup and who cares if he’s only had one year in the P5? The guys track record shows exciting and effective offenses which is something I haven’t seen from this team since 2014. This is the kind of hire we need to make, the up and comer with a track record of success at lower levels just waiting for his shot!

Much as I’ve been critical of schiano I feel the opposite about the Gleason hire. He’s a tremendous pickup and who cares if he’s only had one year in the P5? The guys track record shows exciting and effective offenses which is something I haven’t seen from this team since 2014. This is the kind of hire we need to make, the up and comer with a track record of success at lower levels just waiting for his shot!
That's the thing I like the hire and mentioned his name right from the start of our search and in the past before probably some even knew who he was. But I never go to the proclamations of home run, tremendous etc...until it's proven on this level consistently. You don't know what you don't know.

There's a tendency to go to manic extremes from awesome awesome to absolutely atrocious etc...For me it's the reverse of the last 3 hires. I didn't like any of them but did I say this guy sucks so bad....nope....I said not enthused but hopefully it works it out? Why? Cause there's no way to know for sure.. in this case I like hire a lot think he's got good potential let's see where it goes. I keep my feet on the ground for the ones I like and above the ground for the ones I don't.

On top of the examples I gave above, how about Chip Kelly. I mean that's a guy when he first got hired I would have said tremendous and home run and so would have this whole board and how has he done not just the team as a whole, but the offense...his specialty. It's shown flashes at times but still nothing consistent like he did at Oregon and he had done it at the P5 before at a high level. So you never know...I feel good I feel optimistic about the offense more than I have in a long time predating Ash even but I still have my feet on the ground. If others want to levitate that's their prerogative lol.

Reactions: Block R and Dpgru
He is coming over from OSU, not Princeton.

I figured. Kendal Briles has brought Randy Clements the OL coach with him to couple stops and now Jeff Lebby another former Baylor guy added Clements when he got the Ole Miss job moving from UCF.

Lashlee is bringing some SMU QC guy with him to Miami now that he’s the OC there.

So Aurich seems very logical especially with the previous GS connection and on top of it being currently in state doesn’t hurt either.
another possibility would be Darnell Stapleton, who is currently the OL coach for Sam Houston State.

He is coming over from OSU, not Princeton.
He was at Princeton before osu, he only coached at OSU for one year where he did an admirable job but what excites me more is that at Princeton he was a coach there for 5 years so was able to recruit his guys in and by the time he had an offense of his recruits they were among the best statistical offenses in the country, regardless of the competition he was playing against

He was at Princeton before osu, he only coached at OSU for one year where he did an admirable job but what excites me more is that at Princeton he was a coach there for 5 years so was able to recruit his guys in and by the time he had an offense of his recruits they were among the best statistical offenses in the country, regardless of the competition he was playing against
Just to clarify he was coach there for 5 but iirc he was OC there for two. I think the guy before him moved on to be HC at Cornell or Dartmouth.

Just to clarify he was coach there for 5 but iirc he was OC there for two. I think the guy before him moved on to be HC at Cornell or Dartmouth.
He was a position coach sure but he still was out recruiting primarily their skill position players. We haven’t had a good WR since Carroo (had some serviceable guys and others with potential but no one ‘good’ imo) so the fact that this guy was able to go out and identify hidden talent that will work with his system is what excites me the most. Rarely do you see 2000 yard rushers in CFB and the fact that he was able to do that this year with Chuba Hubbard is extremely encouraging. That’s how we’re going to be able to compete in this conference is keeping opposing offenses off the field and controlling the clock with the running game.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
I haven't been this excited about Rutgers football since 2006!
I’m more excited and interested in signing day for 2021. Our staff are not miracle workers and the talent discrepancy between us and the rest of our conference is tremendous. That said though if we can establish ourselves as a program that features RB’s well and gets them drafted then all the sudden we will start landing the Berger’s of the world. Not to mention big ugly offensive lineman who like to run block.

now if only Gleeson could bring with him a couple of decent DT’s lol

I’m more excited and interested in signing day for 2021. Our staff are not miracle workers and the talent discrepancy between us and the rest of our conference is tremendous. That said though if we can establish ourselves as a program that features RB’s well and gets them drafted then all the sudden we will start landing the Berger’s of the world. Not to mention big ugly offensive lineman who like to run block.

now if only Gleeson could bring with him a couple of decent DT’s lol
And some OL.

Is it possible that the RU offense will have a decided schematic advantage over the competition? Oh wait, don’t go there, ha.

I like the fact that Gleeson is also a QB coach, something we really need. Hope that Greg gives him full control of the offense.

Last edited:
He was a position coach sure but he still was out recruiting primarily their skill position players. We haven’t had a good WR since Carroo (had some serviceable guys and others with potential but no one ‘good’ imo) so the fact that this guy was able to go out and identify hidden talent that will work with his system is what excites me the most. Rarely do you see 2000 yard rushers in CFB and the fact that he was able to do that this year with Chuba Hubbard is extremely encouraging. That’s how we’re going to be able to compete in this conference is keeping opposing offenses off the field and controlling the clock with the running game.

Not exactly accurate.
Hopefully Gleeson finally puts to bed the false narrative of “control the clock = Rutgers success”.

Rutgers “controlled the clock” better in 2019.

2019 Average Time of Possession
OSU - 28:50 (#94)
Rutgers - 30:02 (#66 - best of the Ash Era. More evidence that TOP is a poor predictor of offensive success)

2019 Total Plays (rankings not adjusted for games played - couldn’t find that info easily)
OSU - 924 plays (#39)
Rutgers - 735 plays (#128)

OSU +189 plays (note - they played one extra game but the difference is evident.)

http://www.cfbstats.com/2019/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category15/sort01.html

His predecessor at Oklahoma State, Yurcich, was hired directly from Division II Shippensburg University and that seemed to work out. After a stint this season at Ohio State passing game coach, Yurcich was just hired as OC at Texas. Gleeson sounds like a good pickup for you guys, especially with the Jersey connection. At any rate, it certainly should be more interesting to watch Rutgers for the next few years.

His predecessor at Oklahoma State, Yurcich, was hired directly from Division II Shippensburg University and that seemed to work out. After a stint this season at Ohio State passing game coach, Yurcich was just hired as OC at Texas. Gleeson sounds like a good pickup for you guys, especially with the Jersey connection. At any rate, it certainly should be more interesting to watch Rutgers for the next few years.
Moorhead was hired from Fordham to be OC at psu, teams go to lesser divisions for coordinators all the time

😃
Turns out we were all wrong.
Not all of us.

I try to avoid making statements about the future with any degree of certainty which helps me avoid looking too dumb later on. I don't want to add crystal-balling to all the other stuff I already do to look dumb on an every day basis.

OTOH, I did post this prophetic thought, back in 2020, in this thread:

"I was actually wondering if Nunzio will wind up replacing Gleeson in 2-3 years.".

Turns out that actually happened, albeit not in the manner in which I was probably thinking it would. Who's the Plum now, @Plum Street? 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT