ADVERTISEMENT

Season tickets sales stagnant? Bloom off the rose?

Even if true, it's obnoxious that NJ.com and the SL put these pieces out during opening week every year. Beyond the fact that no one should be surprised given the stagnation the last 2 years, how does this help anything? Does pointing out that Rutgers Football games aren't a destination get people to games? Or is that the point?
I wouldn’t give nj.com or the SL a cent of my hard earned money. They constantly bash Rutgers, F’ em!

Is seems season ticket sales have leveled off?
According to the article they are even down slightly from last year.

Is the bloom off the HC Schiano rose?

(Note - no idea how I read the article. The link in the tweet to NJ.com is paywall. But if you search Google I got it through that weird AMP thing that I don't understand.)

Not shocked by stagnant sales

I imagine we had a minor bump when Greg was hired, had we had success thereafter,
sales would have crept up

Just out of curiosity, how many of the people in this thread who have trashed Fonseca are actual season ticket holders?

Does the article acknowledge the broader economic challenges? There's just less disposable income available right now for things like this.

Reactions: bac2therac
Does the article acknowledge the broader economic challenges? There's just less disposable income available right now for things like this.
But if this was a Top 25 team the stadium would be sold out every week. There are 52K people in the area that have a lot of disposable income. Ticket prices are reasonable. It just come down to value/worth.

Reactions: FastMJ
Same story as Mike Marc...first time in 18 yrs I didn't get tix...will still be at the game for tailgating/bonding...other than the Louisville game there has never been a game where u couldn't pick up tix in the lot for face or less than face value. They need to WIN me back. Like some of previous posters I want to see something akin to the 2005-10 era...ill even settle for the Kyle Flood teams. I want to be entertained and have something to cheer for and not just the punter...lol....for the record I'm a GS guy, so I'm hoping for measurable progress this yr...
Don't you guys lose your points for bowing out? If you re-up you start from scratch no? Things are gonna turn better very soon and when we turn the corner games will be enjoyable again. I still go to most games just to hang in the lots for the day. I go into most games but don't stay if it's ugly.

I had a high of a dozen tix bought as a way to support and donate. Now down to 4 last few years. Couldn't give them away.😂😂

Don't you guys lose your points for bowing out? If you re-up you start from scratch no? Things are gonna turn better very soon and when we turn the corner games will be enjoyable again. I still go to most games just to hang in the lots for the day. I go into most games but don't stay if it's ugly.

I had a high of a dozen tix bought as a way to support and donate. Now down to 4 last few years. Couldn't give them away.😂😂
I thought about keeping my ticket for the points. But then I thought, who needs points? There's no one fighting for tickets or parking. If I jump back in line at zero someday, I think I'll be fine.

I thought about keeping my ticket for the points. But then I thought, who needs points? There's no one fighting for tickets or parking. If I jump back in line at zero someday, I think I'll be fine.
Only problem is that in my experience band wagoneers usually have $ and will manipulate their position. I know quite a few personally.

Sustained winning and competitive will make tix hard and expensive. I'd buy one just to keep the account active.

Or you could bank all the $ you're saving and make a hefty donation when they get good again!😂😂😂😂😂

Only problem is that in my experience band wagoneers usually have $ and will manipulate their position. I know quite a few personally.

Sustained winning and competitive will make tix hard and expensive. I'd buy one just to keep the account active.

Or you could bank all the $ you're saving and make a hefty donation when they get good again!😂😂😂😂😂
Don't need points...I park in someone's backyard on Golf links road and my tailgate is in green lot adjacent to stadium (actual stones throw)...been doing this for 15 yrs...

Don't need points...I park in someone's backyard on Golf links road and my tailgate is in green lot adjacent to stadium (actual stones throw)...been doing this for 15 yrs...
It's all about the tailgate and the family of the group. I'm with the Pickled Knights and even back in 2018 when we went 1-11...we still made the best if it. We won tailgate of the yr and even won the 50/50 ...whats better than splitting up 40K+ with your tailgate peeps

There is currently little benefit to being a STH. Parking and tix can be purchased for less on the market. Rutgers dumps stuff there so they can talk about "sellouts" and partly its own fault.
Should charge say $25 extra and put those seat backs in for every STH as a thank you and a source of pride for those sitting in them.

And what has our coach done to embrace the fans and create excitement. Little to nothing. The difference between him and Pike is extreme..WAY before things got good.

Hey Fonseca since I know you’ll read this - you’re a giant dweeb and can go pound sand!

It’s reallllly pathetic that your livelihood is now down to pumping out stupid articles such as this one.

My group actually kept 2. I couldn't convince them to buy everything on stub hub for $8 each.

Reactions: MoreCowbellRU
You will love their latest RU Football Headline:

Why can’t Rutgers develop a QB?​

No, we do not expect the press corps to be cheerleaders or apologists for Rutgers football. But what NJ.COM editors do regularly is negative framing. It's the same type of crap other media outlets pull with certain people in the news when they want to push a narrative. Maybe NJ.COM will write a story on how their negative press is negatively impacting season ticket sales?

As a comparison, here are the latest headlines from Gannett NJ (app.com/northjersey.commycentraljersey.com):

Rutgers vs. Northwestern: How to watch, radio and info to know for opener

What Greg Schiano is saying ahead of Rutgers' season opener vs. Northwestern

What Greg Schiano is saying ahead of Rutgers' season opener vs. Northwestern

Predicting Rutgers football's top performers for 2023 season

Here's the state of Rutgers' offensive line with season set to begin

How good can Rutgers football's defense be this season?

21k is not bad for how bad we've been tbh 🤷
How many of that 21k are actual buyers? Take a guy like “Jerry”. He buys 8 ST every year and uses them to bring friends and family. Those other 7 are considered “season ticket holders” but it’s only Jerry spending the dough. Jerry croaks down the road and there goes 8 “season ticket holders” (when there’s actually only one) because the 7 really had no interest in the games but rather wanted to spend time with Jerry. I figure there’s a lot of Jerry’s in the RU ticket base. Actual buyers of ST is probably around 7,8k

How many of that 21k are actual buyers? Take a guy like “Jerry”. He buys 8 ST every year and uses them to bring friends and family. Those other 7 are considered “season ticket holders” but it’s only Jerry spending the dough. Jerry croaks down the road and there goes 8 “season ticket holders” (when there’s actually only one) because the 7 really had no interest in the games but rather wanted to spend time with Jerry. I figure there’s a lot of Jerry’s in the RU ticket base. Actual buyers of ST is probably around 7,8k

Those numbers are in the article.

BTW, speaking of nj.com what ever happened to all those puff pieces they were running on American Dream? It was like three, four a week then suddenly poof, they’re completely gone. I guess all that back door cash stopped coming.

The simple answer is once the team starts winning, all signs point to the fan base rising to the occasion. But being so bad for so long takes its toll. The silver lining is that there is still a huge opportunity to rebuild what was lost. Some folks don't mind the losing (myself included, I'm used to it, have seen losing teams my whole life lol) but for the casual fan it's a dealbreaker. Who cares about a team that sucks? Apparently a core 21,000 but... beyond that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT