ADVERTISEMENT

Setting up for the Virginia Tech (VT) game

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
So I know a lot of us aren't happy about the Howard game being moved to a Thursday night. BUT.....the timing turns out to be very interesting as far as preparation for the VT game. Currently now, the team plays Howard on August 29th, has 9 days to prepare for Akron on Sept. 7th, then has 2 weeks to prepare for traveling down to VT on the 21st. And given how weak the Howard and Akron teams are (FYI: Akron went 2-10 last year), we can basically win those games with vanilla offense and defense. So not only will our team be well rested and hopefully injury free, Tech will have no meaningful game tape for our schemes.

Conversely, VT opens with 3 straight games, 1 against Vanderbilt, a weak team that is still a part of a P5 conference, and 2 against G5 teams, Marshall and Old Dominion. And they lost to Marshall last year 24-17. In addition, both those G5 teams were 6-6 during the regular season, so they aren't bottom of the barrel teams. They'll have to play to win without holding back, at least in the first half of all of those games. So they'll come in with the strain of playing 3 straight games, and we will have tape from all 3 of those games to help us scheme against them.

To add insult to injury, after our game VT will be traveling down to play Miami on a short week, as that game has been moved to Friday, Sept. 27th. And then they fly out to the west coast the following week to play Stanford on Oct. 5th before finally getting a bye week.

So despite having to work out the logistics for playing a Thursday night game before LDW, the schedule really sets up nice for us coming into the VT game. I expect them to be favored in this game, which is fine by me. Hopefully we can repeat last year's performance and walk out of there with a win.

I absolutely LOVE how our schedule is set up. For example:

Washington plays 4-straight at home to start prior to us. ZERO on the road. Then - THEN - a rematch with Michigan back at home. Could not have asked for a better time to play The Huskies in my humble opinion.

Old Dominion is not a pushover, and they will be amped to play an in state purported rival. Ricky Rahne, former OC at Penn State, is their HC. He took them bowling last year.

Joe Moorhead is the HC of Akron. Look out!

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
In my opinion the Va Tech is the 3rd toughest game on the schedule, maybe even 2nd only behind USC. A few projections have them Top 25. They return the most starters in P4. Drones has experience at QB now and most of all it's down there at night.

Not saying RU can't win. I am saying it'll be really tough.

In my opinion the Va Tech is the 3rd toughest game on the schedule, maybe even 2nd only behind USC. A few projections have them Top 25. They return the most starters in P4. Drones has experience at QB now and most of all it's down there at night.

I'd put Wisconsin ahead of USC, but I'm biased against USC and Lincoln Riley (however you spell his last name).

I don’t really think the Howard game moving has any on-field relevance.
If 9 days vs. 7 days prep is even the slightest difference maker for beating Akron then we have bigger problems.

Hopefully, we aren’t running (pun intended) the same schemes as last year.

If we are just going to run it 60% of the time like last year, then VT (and everyone else) has all the game tape they need to advance scout us.
And I fear we won’t be nearly as successful IF we are “running” the same offensive philosophy.

VT will won't be as bad as they were when we played them last year. And it is such a hostile place to play. They beat 11-2 Tulane 41-20 in their bowl game. It will be a tough game and really the first time we will see what Kaliakmanis is made of. I've been watching Kaliakmanis' games from last year, I am gaining a little more confidence in him.

Reactions: DirtyRU
I’m not sure I understand the strategy of not showing your offense. Before you head into a big game don’t you want your new players to get good at your scheme? Confirm it works?
Offenses don't change a whole lot from the end of one season to the next. The difference in our offense is we now have a pocket passer. Opposing teams will still concentrate on stopping our run game, that is our bread and butter. Try and stop the run and try to get an int or two.

I’m not sure I understand the strategy of not showing your offense. Before you head into a big game don’t you want your new players to get good at your scheme? Confirm it works?
You test your play book against your own team in scrimmages. If you have to go into actual games to get answers you have bad coaches.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze

Most returning Offensive producing players of any team in the country.

I don’t really think the Howard game moving has any on-field relevance.
If 9 days vs. 7 days prep is even the slightest difference maker for beating Akron then we have bigger problems.
Me neither. Anyone can look at the schedule and create a narrative that's favorable to the team they root for. It will be hard to judge much of anything from Howard but if we struggle offensively vs. Akron, that will be a big early sign of concern. My guess is that we'll win the first two, lose the second two, and then claw our way back to a bowl on the strength of the defense and the running game. I do think the team will be better overall, mainly because of experience and having a quarterback that can actually throw the football. But some of the New Year's Day bowl predictions around here are WAY over the top and pretty ridiculous given the 4-game losing streak we had to end last regular season. It will be a struggle.

A

I’m pretty sure Akron beat Indiana last year or if not the game went to like 4OT. Joe Morehead is the coach. If we’re not careful anything can happen.
Akron has been getting pieces to make a good team. I have to believe that RU's oline can make the running game work.

Reactions: RutgersStadium
Interesting take on first two games not revealing anything.. but we have a new QB and new skill players who will need to be tested in game conditions... even against weaker competition. We cannot hold them back and then expect them to come out and execute a real game plan never having done so for us before.

We could try for that and hope for the best, I guess. But from season "story" perspective.. I say let's get Monangai every headline he can get with some gaudy numbers. And that might mean allowing the QB to temper teh run-blitz with some timely passing.

A

I’m pretty sure Akron beat Indiana last year or if not the game went to like 4OT. Joe Morehead is the coach. If we’re not careful anything can happen.
Akron lost in 4OT, that said Indiana's defense is nowhere near the quality of RU's defense. Akron will have significantly more trouble moving the ball against RU.

I can guarantee that Lane Stadium will be a very hostile environment. Their fans are crazy loud and will be expecting victory against us. They'll want revenge for last year's loss in NJ. We'll have to hit them hard and keep our foot on the gas to quiet them.

Hopefully, we aren’t running (pun intended) the same schemes as last year.

If we are just going to run it 60% of the time like last year, then VT (and everyone else) has all the game tape they need to advance scout us.
And I fear we won’t be nearly as successful IF we are “running” the same offensive philosophy.

If we were going to stick with the running game we had last year, we wouldn't have named AK the starter and let GW walk. Heck, we're not looking for a huge improvement in the passing game, we just need to open up the whole field. Last year we seemed to barely use the middle of the field: I don't know if that was due to GW's inaccuracy or the WR's inability to get separation. Regardless, supposedly this upgrade at QB was aimed at specifically doing this.

I absolutely LOVE how our schedule is set up. For example:

Washington plays 4-straight at home to start prior to us. ZERO on the road. Then - THEN - a rematch with Michigan back at home. Could not have asked for a better time to play The Huskies in my humble opinion.
Agreed. I like the way our schedule is set up. Now we have to go out and execute to plan. Va Tech is a much different team than we played them early in the season. They finished very strong. Playing them at their place will be a tremendous test. I put Va Tech as the second best team on our schedule, behind Wisky. Wisky gives us fits. The Pac teams are still unknowns. As you say I like where we have UW. UW is not the same team and USC and UCLA have to prove themselves at this point. I know USC has talent, but they consistently underachieved last year with their all world QB.

I really don’t get the hype around VT. They closed the year with a few wins to finish 6-6, but against a very weak ACC schedule. We should be able to manhandle them on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we punch them in the mouth early and they realize we are not an ACC cupcake.
On3 Sports seems to really like their QB. We got him in his 1st start last year.

Reactions: RutgersStadium
17 TD with 3 Int.

Rushed for 176 yards vs Tulane in the Bowl Game and 135 vs BC. Only team that shut him down was #13 Louisville where he had nowhere to go and was getting harrassed all game.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
I really don’t get the hype around VT. They closed the year with a few wins to finish 6-6, but against a very weak ACC schedule. We should be able to manhandle them on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we punch them in the mouth early and they realize we are not an ACC cupcake.

Neither do I. Heck, some preseason polls have them ranked in the Top 25, one even has them at #20.

As for last season, look at the rogue's gallery they beat during the regular season:

Old Dominion (6-6)
Pitt (3-9)
Wake Forest (4-8)
Syracuse (6-6)
BC (6-6)
Virginia (3-9)

And in the bowl game they faced a Tulane team that had lost its head coach and part of the staff, plus had 8 players choose to sit out the game including their starting QB and their top WR.

If we were going to stick with the running game we had last year, we wouldn't have named AK the starter and let GW walk. Heck, we're not looking for a huge improvement in the passing game, we just need to open up the whole field. Last year we seemed to barely use the middle of the field: I don't know if that was due to GW's inaccuracy or the WR's inability to get separation. Regardless, supposedly this upgrade at QB was aimed at specifically doing this.
Yes, not looking for much. It would be nice to have the passing game be reasonably competent enough to pick up a 3rd and 5 or 6 when needed.

Neither do I. Heck, some preseason polls have them ranked in the Top 25, one even has them at #20.

As for last season, look at the rogue's gallery they beat during the regular season:

Old Dominion (6-6)
Pitt (3-9)
Wake Forest (4-8)
Syracuse (6-6)
BC (6-6)
Virginia (3-9)

And in the bowl game they faced a Tulane team that had lost its head coach and part of the staff, plus had 8 players choose to sit out the game including their starting QB and their top WR.
True and that bowl game was a huge letdown for Tulane coming off the loss in the AAC Championship Game. So much of the lesser bowl games is about which team cares more and wants to be there more. I think VT is getting some mileage out of that game, maybe a little too much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT