ADVERTISEMENT

Shades of 2008

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
that year, we started out 1-5, despite having a 5th year senior in Mike Teel, who later got drafted, and Kenny Britt. The offense struggled mightily that first half of the season, with the low point being Mike Teel having an altercation with Glen Lee after a Navy loss. But somewhere along the line, a light bulb went off in Mike Teels head, and the offense became unstoppable, and we closed out that season with 6 straight Wins, including a huge win over a ranked Pitt team.

I see the same potential here. The offense seems grounded. But the last 1:34 of the game gives me hope, since we were able to move the ball well, from the our 12 to the opponents 25, though it's a shame we couldn't finish as we ran out of time. I'm hopeful that the series is a harbinger of things to come.

Going forward, we need to show a greater sense of urgency on offense. Too many wasted series, and we didn't score a TD till the second half. If guys aren't catching the ball, then we have to play the freshman. #88 is a BEAST, so we must feed the beast every once in a while. Have to get the ball to our playmakers in space and let them make a play. Bolin needs to better recognize open receivers and stop forcing the ball. This offense needs a spark, and then it will explode, just like in 2008. Hopefully we get it Saturday, and it continues the balance of the season.

Reactions: ScarletDave
You know, I was thinking something similar because of the early-season results (that squad was more talented). RU was pretty bad that September, culminating in the meltdown at Navy.

At 0-3, Rutgers hosted Morgan State and shut out the Bears. To me, that sparked the defense, which held the team together through the middle part of the season before the offense clicked around Game 8.

Reactions: rutgersal
This team has no one that has had any success on the field. That team went to a bowl the year before. This team won 2 games last year. There is no comparison.

Let's match the 2008 opponents with 2017 and see how realistic this is. Here's the best shot. Disclaimer: not putting each team on par with the other. For example, Michigan 2017 is not equal to Navy 2008, but it is figured as a loss. Same for Michigan State. The analysis breaks down with trying to fit Ohio State and Purdue to teams we played in 2008.

Based on this exercise, I see 5-7 as possible and 6-6 as remotely possible, but we really need to get our sheet together on offense and start opening it up.

2008 // 2017

Fresno (7-6) Lost 24-7 // Ohio State (Really Stretching it Here, but it is a win for tOSU)
UNC (8-5) Lost 44-12 // EMU Lost
Navy (8-5) Lost 23-21 /// Michigan (not saying they are on par, but probably a loss)
Morgan State Won 38-0 // Morgan State
WVU (9-4) Lost 24-17 // UW Lost
Cincinatti (11-3) Lost 13-10 // Penn State
UConn (8-5) Won 12-10 // Maryland (rivalry game, hopefully hard fought, but their offense looks real good)
Pitt (9-4) Won 54-34 // Michigan State (maybe we can take them at home but not 54 points--60!!!)
Cuse (3-9) Won 35-17 // Illinois (probably fair)
USF (8-5) Won 49-16 /// Nebraska (stretch)
Army (3-9) Won 30-3 /// Purdue (another stretch)
Louisville (5-7) Won 63-14 // Indiana (probably fair)
-------------------------------
NCState (6-7) Won 29-23

This team has no one that has had any success on the field. That team went to a bowl the year before. This team won 2 games last year. There is no comparison.

This team went bowling in 2014, so it has had many who have had success on the field. This team is deeper and more talented than the team we fielded in 2008. we just have to get them to play to their potential.

that year, we started out 1-5, despite having a 5th year senior in Mike Teel, who later got drafted, and Kenny Britt. The offense struggled mightily that first half of the season, with the low point being Mike Teel having an altercation with Glen Lee after a Navy loss. But somewhere along the line, a light bulb went off in Mike Teels head, and the offense became unstoppable, and we closed out that season with 6 straight Wins, including a huge win over a ranked Pitt team.

I see the same potential here. The offense seems grounded. But the last 1:34 of the game gives me hope, since we were able to move the ball well, from the our 12 to the opponents 25, though it's a shame we couldn't finish as we ran out of time. I'm hopeful that the series is a harbinger of things to come.

Going forward, we need to show a greater sense of urgency on offense. Too many wasted series, and we didn't score a TD till the second half. If guys aren't catching the ball, then we have to play the freshman. #88 is a BEAST, so we must feed the beast every once in a while. Have to get the ball to our playmakers in space and let them make a play. Bolin needs to better recognize open receivers and stop forcing the ball. This offense needs a spark, and then it will explode, just like in 2008. Hopefully we get it Saturday, and it continues the balance of the season.
Love the optimism but the B1G East is not the Big East. Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan are ways ahead and Maryland is closer to them than us. We still are about 2 years away from this optimism.

Shades of 2008
No, it isn't. Teel played in the NFL, albeit only briefly. Bolin never will. Teel also had Kenny Britt, Tim Brown and Tiquan Underwood as WR's, all of whom are in the RU record books. Britt and Underwood were NFL caliber receivers; both are still playing.

Love the optimism but the B1G East is not the Big East. Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan are ways ahead and Maryland is closer to them than us. We still are about 2 years away from this optimism.

I think this is a fair comparison from where we MIGHT see a chance of winning between 2008 and 2017:
UConn (8-5) Won 12-10 // Maryland (rivalry game, hopefully hard fought, but their offense looks real good)
Pitt (9-4) Won 54-34 // Michigan State (maybe we can take them at home but not 54 points--60!!!)
Cuse (3-9) Won 35-17 // Illinois (probably fair)
USF (8-5) Won 49-16 /// Nebraska (stretch)
Army (3-9) Won 30-3 /// Purdue (another stretch)
Louisville (5-7) Won 63-14 // Indiana (probably fair)

However, as others pointed out above, the talent level and experience is very different, not only for the players, but for the head coach. By 2008, Schiano hit his stride. Ash is still taking baby steps, and that is not meant as any kind of sleight. The last game was evidence of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT