ADVERTISEMENT

Should Blackshear be kicked off team?

Should Bksckshear be kicked off team?

• Yes

Votes: 127 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 67 34.5%

• Total voters
OR wait until game 9 or 10 of the current season.

In football firing a coach is ending the season. Why would Hobbs do that to the players?

My guess is that it was all about $$$. If boosters/etc were showing the financials rapidly falling off a cliff, and he knew that he couldn't get the BoG to move if Ash managed to eke out a win over Maryland or Indiana, he might have had to go when there was an opportunity.

An October firing isn't unprecedented, though. Here's an article from 2017 outlining 18 other coaches that were fired before November.

My guess is that it was all about $$$. If boosters/etc were showing the financials rapidly falling off a cliff, and he knew that he couldn't get the BoG to move if Ash managed to eke out a win over Maryland or Indiana, he might have had to go when there was an opportunity.

An October firing isn't unprecedented, though. Here's an article from 2017 outlining 18 other coaches that were fired before November.

If the Ash regime is the imfamous Rutgers-Louisville basketball game......down 50 everything OK, down 60 time to make a change.

Reactions: Knightmoves
And just for the record, I don't feel that Blackshear should be kicked off the team. Stripped of his captaincy, yes. Suspended in some way, also probably yes - just for the ultra-late notice.

If his intention is really to return and play two seasons for the new coach, that's within the current rules and at least well intended. It's the lack of communication and game day surprise that would warrant some form of consequence.

Reactions: shields
No, he didn’t do anything against the rules. Any punitive damage sends a bad taste to recruits. This board needs to be shut down til the end of the season, before all the boomers lose their minds.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Campy said in his presser that the Blackshear issue would be worked out before Tuesday practice.

I can’t see him continuing to practice with the team. No hard feelings but it’s time to move on imo.

Sitoutski is another matter. Can’t see why he should practice if he’s not willing to play the rest of the season.

Neither one is coming back. Cut the cord now and circle the wagons.

No, he didn’t do anything against the rules. Any punitive damage sends a bad taste to recruits. This board needs to be shut down til the end of the season, before all the boomers lose their minds.

I think that's questionable, and requires a loose interpretation of the rules. If he took off his helmet before the first snap and refused to go on the field, I can't see how that doesn't warrant a consequence. Because he tied that to a redshirt request, it doesn't somehow change the detrimental impact to the team for that game.

Reactions: Knightmoves
And just for the record, I don't feel that Blackshear should be kicked off the team. Stripped of his captaincy, yes. Suspended in some way, also probably yes - just for the ultra-late notice.

If his intention is really to return and play two seasons for the new coach, that's within the current rules and at least well intended. It's the lack of communication and game day surprise that would warrant some form of consequence.

The question is do you want him on the team next year. If so, anything above stripping the captaincy I don’t agree with.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
The best thing for the Rutgers program is for these 2 guys to redshirt and come back and play the rest of their career here

The worst thing for the new head coach is for these guys to red shirt.

Change the damn redshirt rule. It should only apply during the freshmen year. That would eliminate things like this happening.
You get to play only 4 games your FRESHMEN year. Not Sophmore, Junior or Senior year.
God point.

The question is do you want him on the team next year. If so, anything above stripping the captaincy I don’t agree with.

Well, if he's already redshirting the rest of the season, a suspension doesn't really do much, anyway, to be honest. I'm not sure what other levers coaches have available to pull within the program, but if any player just decided on game day that he'd refuse to run out on the field, there should be some consequence attached - whether it's Blackshear, or a 3rd string freshman.

And you can't compromise on that just because a player might transfer if they face a consequence.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Didn't want to start an entirely new thread on this, particularly since it was mentioned above that this whole situation will be worked out by Tuesday...but here's Coach Nunz's exact quote:

Earlier today during his weekly press conference, interim head coach Nunzio Campanile updated how the Blackshear situation will play out moving forward.

“We'll have it all resolved by the time we hit the field tomorrow, and you know, once it is resolved, I'll be glad to discuss it. Just still kind of working through all the information and things like that. Obviously the most important thing for me is what -- doing what's best for the team and best for the 100-plus guys that we have out there every day".

-Have no idea what the result of this will be, but going by that last sentence it appears it'll be a team first, not an individual player first, solution.

Last edited:
If player is redshirting, remove the C, make him show up to all practices, meetings, workouts to maintain good standing. Any thing short and remove hime from team like you would any other player

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT