ADVERTISEMENT

Skillethead, how did you vote?

They spent over $17 million for that? Sheeze!

Sounds like PM really wants to push this through - bet he tries to do it again some time in the future.

They spent over $17 million for that? Sheeze!

Sounds like PM really wants to push this through - bet he tries to do it again some time in the future.
We spent $26 million on this! The Kiwis are NOT HAPPY with this process. Some people wanted the old union jack flag and some wanted the new one with the silver fern, but most people agree this was a dumb move by the PM.

My position on the flag was what I think most NZ'ers thought: Don't like the old flag as it was imposed on us and looks too much like the Aussie flag. Don't like the new flag option because it looks more like a tea towel than a flag. I think Kiwis would like a new flag, but only if we can get a really cool one.

I would like to say I didn't vote out of protest for the choices and the system, but the fact of the matter is that I didn't vote because I lost my ballot. Would have voted for the new flag. It didn't have a chance to win (lost 56-44 which was closer than folks thought it would be), but I wanted to register that I don't like the current flag.

The PM did it as a kind of "feel good" thing that everybody would have fun with. Somebody in his marketing office is looking for new work now.

Reactions: RUChoppin
We spent $26 million on this! The Kiwis are NOT HAPPY with this process. Some people wanted the old union jack flag and some wanted the new one with the silver fern, but most people agree this was a dumb move by the PM.

My position on the flag was what I think most NZ'ers thought: Don't like the old flag as it was imposed on us and looks too much like the Aussie flag. Don't like the new flag option because it looks more like a tea towel than a flag. I think Kiwis would like a new flag, but only if we can get a really cool one.

I would like to say I didn't vote out of protest for the choices and the system, but the fact of the matter is that I didn't vote because I lost my ballot. Would have voted for the new flag. It didn't have a chance to win (lost 56-44 which was closer than folks thought it would be), but I wanted to register that I don't like the current flag.

The PM did it as a kind of "feel good" thing that everybody would have fun with. Somebody in his marketing office is looking for new work now.
I thought a couple of the new flags were pretty nice.

I'd have voted for the Kiwi with laser beams shooting out it's eyes. No one would screw with NZ if they knew even their birds were packing heat. Besides, Dr Evil would love it.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Any flag with another country's flag on it is pretty lame.
Weirdly enough, lots still do. Hawaii has the union jack as well.

But which flag has the flags of three countries on it?

Answer Below:

The Union Jack itself, which contains the flags of England, Ireland, and Scotland. That is what that pattern is.

Answer Below:

The Union Jack itself, which contains the flags of England, Ireland, and Scotland. That is what that pattern is.
I get the English and Scottish part but don't see the Irish connection?

Answer Below:

I was referring to countries, but Hawaii should change its flag. Commonwealth countries need to get away from ole Mother England.

I get the English and Scottish part but don't see the Irish connection?
A red X used to be the flag of Ireland. So if you combine the English red cross on white with the Scottish white X on blue and the Irish red X on white, you get the Union Jack. Most of the Commonwealth countries and related countries really don't like England at all, yet retain the Union Jack.

Answer Below:

Funny, that's one of those irrelevant pieces of information that I had in the back of my head.

A red X used to be the flag of Ireland. So if you combine the English red cross on white with the Scottish white X on blue and the Irish red X on white, you get the Union Jack. Most of the Commonwealth countries and related countries really don't like England at all, yet retain the Union Jack.
If you mean the St. Patrick saltire, I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT