ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ignoring jury duty summons

Anyone ever do this ? I always responded and showed up. But …never had a real good experience!
Does the old adage , “did you send it certified apply” ? Asking for a friend!
I served on jury duty last year in Somerset County. Here is what they told me. 1400 cards were sent out, and 700 were returned and considered valid. Of those 700, 300 people were told to report to the online jury training (about 2 hours). Of those 300, 90 were asked to report to the courthouse in Somerville. Of those 90, 50 were asked to come to the courtroom. 14 names were randomly asked to sit in the jury box. The judge questioned them one-by-one for conflicts or inability to serve, probably 2/3 were excused, and replaced one-by-one until 14 were chosen. Then the lawyers from both sides asked questions, and probably 1/2 were excused and replaced. Finally 14 of 1400 remained, I was one of the 14.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I’m 62 and have received a notice 3 times. Twice- not needed and 3rd time- conflict, asked have it rescheduled- got an email I would receive a new notice and never did.
And some of you have been on how many? That is crazy and obviously not random- they all know you guys have a fixation on it.,,

I’m 62 and have received a notice 3 times. Twice- not needed and 3rd time- conflict, asked have it rescheduled- got an email I would receive a new notice and never did.
And some of you have been on how many? That is crazy and obviously not random- they all know you guys have a fixation on it.,,
I always thought it was tied to voting, but that may have been an urban legend. Meaning the more active voter you are, the more likely you are to get summoned.

I always thought it was tied to voting, but that may have been an urban legend. Meaning the more active voter you are, the more likely you are to get summoned.
My address on my DL is NY. Lived in NJ for years. Always voted in NY and never got a summons- rarely vote in Nj and have gotten 3…

No unfortunately it’s not random and that from an Assistant US Attorney who claimed they know once your chosen you are a good candidate… FOREVER . I loved it … learned a great deal … met some famous folks. Some of these cases had run for several decades.But I never confused loyalty to country, patriotism and civic duty as a moral thing. People are very confused by what the dictionary says. Times are much different.

My address on my DL is NY. Lived in NJ for years. Always voted in NY and never got a summons- rarely vote in Nj and have gotten 3…
I regularly vote and regularly respond to jury duty requests, but it’s not like it has been too frequent or disruptive in my 55 years.

Never served, never been called. Life is good. I was on the "unofficial" do not call list for a long time, so maybe someone forgot to update it. LOL!

In 2022,I told them why must I serve at 72 when the judge must retire at 70?Are you saying that I'm a better judge of the law?
It worked.
They told me that my jury service was complete.

Remember this fact: the NJ state legislative instituted a Bill during Covid 19 which dropped the age to 65. Then these idiots changed it back to the age of 75. Stupidity as usual ( end of 21-22 ) if memory serves me . This is purely idiocy as both men and women over 70+ should be exempt just as judges. Who wants to be out on highways and large cities such as we see today. They don’t care but will lay the guilt trip upon the senior citizens to COMPLY … example I don’t want my 70+ year old spouse traveling anywhere near those places even in daylight. Parking garages??? Not even close… who going to accompany those older folks to their vehicle? The system is flawed .

Reactions: MulletCork
I served on jury duty last year in Somerset County. Here is what they told me. 1400 cards were sent out, and 700 were returned and considered valid. Of those 700, 300 people were told to report to the online jury training (about 2 hours). Of those 300, 90 were asked to report to the courthouse in Somerville. Of those 90, 50 were asked to come to the courtroom. 14 names were randomly asked to sit in the jury box. The judge questioned them one-by-one for conflicts or inability to serve, probably 2/3 were excused, and replaced one-by-one until 14 were chosen. Then the lawyers from both sides asked questions, and probably 1/2 were excused and replaced. Finally 14 of 1400 remained, I was one of the 14.
Winner, winner...chicken dinner!!!

Jury Duty is something that 95% of citizens dread for the fact it is a conflict for many in their everyday lives. The real issue is and has always been ….if you are called once you will be called again , while thousands of others ( who are eligible) never are called.

This.

If you avoid doing jury duty you should be ashamed of yourself. People like to bring up how flawed our justice system is, yet throw their juror notices in the garbage.
It starts with the selection process and how flawed that is. I have been called 8 times since the mid 80’s … So the “ it’s a DUTY” is untrue.

I worked for a GREAT company (42 years ) who had a policy of allowing employees the time to serve jury duty when called with pay and no loss of status. The issue was others at my middle management level were less positive. Answer yes too many times called … that’s why I refute the, “ It’s a Duty “ … “ Moral Obligation”… that is the issue . They don’t attempt to fix the inequity which exists and never will.

I worked for a GREAT company (42 years ) who had a policy of allowing employees the time to serve jury duty when called with pay and no loss of status. The issue was others at my middle management level were less positive. Answer yes too many times called … that’s why I refute the, “ It’s a Duty “ … “ Moral Obligation”… that is the issue . They don’t attempt to fix the inequity which exists and never will.
Ah, well now I get it.

Ah, well now I get it.
Get what? … GREAT company or the fact that once you get picked you will most likely get called again and again.? The fact my former employee believed in paying someone and allowing the person to serves goes back back to 50’s and 60’s.

Last edited:
You can not believe in Civic Duty if daily Civility does not exist. You lose all feelings of trust and duty when one person hates the other.

The amazing thing is some people actually believe the jury system is legit. Many somehow think it’s the same as 30-40-50 years ago. It’s about an understood trust that all is fair for everyone … our system has lost it’s way due to being compromised internally.

Never was summoned for jury duty until I moved to Monmouth County 15 years ago. Once I registered for the county golf card I have been summoned 5 times and had to report to freehold 3 times without being seated for a jury. Like clockwork 1 month after the 3 years are up I get a card in the mail. Meanwhile my wife who has been a Monmouth County resident pretty much her entire life has never been summoned.
But think of the discount you get on golf especially at Hominy and Howell! Worth it!

But think of the discount you get on golf especially at Hominy and Howell! Worth it!
Absolutely. Love hominy. Howell has been a work in progress the last 4-5 years ( drainage, tees and greens) Don’t sleep on shark river. I would put it up there with Hominy, ahead of Howell.

I don’t have a problem with getting called for jury duty. My issue is having to report and not being seated. If I’m going to give up a full day of work without being compensated at least throw me a bone and let me hear a case for once. Hahahah

Reactions: WhiteBus
I got a call to fill out my kids a regular Monday foursome today. 2nd time this Spring, both at Spring Meadow. Funny. I never hear when they play Charleston Springs, Hominy, Howell or even Shark River.

I mean, even McCanns is shut down☹️

Absolutely. Love hominy. Howell has been a work in progress the last 4-5 years ( drainage, tees and greens) Don’t sleep on shark river. I would put it up there with Hominy, ahead of Howell.

I don’t have a problem with getting called for jury duty. My issue is having to report and not being seated. If I’m going to give up a full day of work without being compensated at least throw me a bone and let me hear a case for once. Hahahah
I need to get to Shark River. It must have changed a lot but I see it's still very short. It was comparable to Spring Meadow back when I worked there during high school and Rutgers. Both were in ok condition and very little traffic in the afternoon. The great benefit was you could play 18 in under 3 hours walking.
My great memory of Shark River was the only sudden death match play I played in high school. Because it was a tri match and in conference. Head to head matches could end in a tie. I tied the player from Homdel (we were/are friends and practiced a lot together). It took us 9 holes to finish. Bogeyed the same hole and each of us birdied the same 3 holes. I won on the last hole. He got a terrible bounce on his drive. No sprinklers near by but it bounced hard right. Last match of 1979 and the win locked up 2 years undefeated streak.

I need to get to Shark River. It must have changed a lot but I see it's still very short. It was comparable to Spring Meadow back when I worked there during high school and Rutgers. Both were in ok condition and very little traffic in the afternoon. The great benefit was you could play 18 in under 3 hours walking.
My great memory of Shark River was the only sudden death match play I played in high school. Because it was a tri match and in conference. Head to head matches could end in a tie. I tied the player from Homdel (we were/are friends and practiced a lot together). It took us 9 holes to finish. Bogeyed the same hole and each of us birdied the same 3 holes. I won on the last hole. He got a terrible bounce on his drive. No sprinklers near by but it bounced hard right. Last match of 1979 and the win locked up 2 years undefeated streak.
Yea shark river easy walker. Play Wednesdays in summer around 2-3pm (usually play in 3:15-3:45) with a somewhat regular 4some. Then head to grab a drink dinner back in Squan or sea girt.

Last edited:
Yea shark river easy walker. Play Wednesdays in summer around 2-3pm (usually play in 3:15-3:45) with a somewhat regular 4some. Then head to grab a drink dinner back in Squan or sea girt.
I like Mulligans formally Kieffer's (many years ago) in Farmingdale as a post round spot.

Last edited:
I have jury duty next week 🤮
Didn’t have to report!
Excited Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT