ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ignoring jury duty summons

Sad … yes , the system is irreparably flawed. How about we make it a paid job at $20 per hour not $5 per diem? People using this “ Patriotic” duty line are wrong . It’s not a duty . If you want to serve that’s great.Most don’t unless they view it as a day off from work. People have a multitude of other more important issues in their everyday life , health, family, financial come to mind. The other thing is by threatening 3 days in jail and $ 1k fine is not going to make a potential jurist become that patriot some claim .Most here never served in the military or saw action. Those are actually true patriots.

Just remember you have a friend/relative who was a victim of the same crime & you can't be impartial
I tried something like that and I was still selected to be part of the jury and then was made the head juror. In my specific case it was a very similar car accident to what I had when I was younger and told them I have very specific beliefs based on my accident. The judge and the lawyers proceeded to tell me to be impartial and placed me in the jury.

• Sad
Reactions: MrsScrew
It has been all over the map for me. Called in, told I was not needed - thank you for your service. Been in jury selection when the lawsuit was settled and we were dismissed. Excused from selection and service due my job at the time. Nixed by attorneys because of where I worked and how it was related to this particular case. And most recently, sweated out a Grand Jury selection but was not chosen in the end. That's a long commitment - I believe 6 months, but only 1-2 times per week.

I tried something like that and I was still selected to be part of the jury and then was made the head juror. In my specific case it was a very similar car accident to what I had when I was younger and told them I have very specific beliefs based on my accident. The judge and the lawyers proceeded to tell me to be impartial and placed me in the jury.

I served on a civil trial last year. Post accident medical things someone was suing for. I figured, as a nurse, I'd be the first person they dismissed. Nope. got to serve 6 days

Here is my dilemma. I have a jury summons for petit court here in Burlington County for Monday. I also was supposed to play in a golf outing at Union League National down the shore. Fingers crossed when I call Sunday night they don't need me. LOL.
I think even the county clerk would sympathize with you since the outing is at Union League National. I read an article about it in the NJ Golf magazine. Can wait to play it myself.

Sad … yes , the system is irreparably flawed. How about we make it a paid job at $20 per hour not $5 per diem? People using this “ Patriotic” duty line are wrong . It’s not a duty . If you want to serve that’s great.Most don’t unless they view it as a day off from work. People have a multitude of other more important issues in their everyday life , health, family, financial come to mind. The other thing is by threatening 3 days in jail and $ 1k fine is not going to make a potential jurist become that patriot some claim .Most here never served in the military or saw action. Those are actually true patriots.
It’s interesting how some opine about what constitutes patriotism and what doesn’t. I always thought that one of the main reasons of needing and using military force was to defend the ideas and a system in which trial by jury of citizens is a staple. You would think most would view it as a civic requirement even if disruptive and time consuming.

I don't do it
Honestly, no interest
Takes money away from me doing my regular job, and it's not enticing to me

Start paying a fair wage and I'd reconsider

During my work time, I work
During my spare time, I like family and sports

Jury duty, to me, is not, and never will be, something I'd look forward to
I'd rather be tailgating

If that makes me bad, so be it

My wife got out because at the time, a long time ago, she was breast feeding our new born. Would that work for you?

Here in SC I don’t have to go because I’m older than a certain age, which allows me to decline.

When I lived in DC, I was summoned to serve on a DC and then a federal jury one right after the other. I wasn’t needed for one and was dismissed from the other, a civil rights case, when I told them I had investigated a case identical to the one I was being considered for.

Why compare it to military services? The US government doesn’t require military service. In some countries it is required.

The US government does require Jury Duty if you are called. It’s not that hard to show up. I did it a few times.

I think even the county clerk would sympathize with you since the outing is at Union League National. I read an article about it in the NJ Golf magazine. Can wait to play it myself.

Union League really spent a ton on it. It looks nothing like the old Sand Barrens they took over. Moved a crap ton of dirt, creating a lot more drastic elevation changes. I've played it twice (seen all three nines) and this will be, hopefully, my third time.

Being chosen as the Jury Foreperson sounds like a nice honor however the reality is you wind up frustrated by those who have a completely different viewpoint of what decision the group is trying to come to on any particular case. There are too many who really DON’T belong serving on a jury. After being involved with almost 150–200 cases I speak from being an experienced jurist.

Reactions: RU_87
Why compare it to military services? The US government doesn’t require military service. In some countries it is required.

The US government does require Jury Duty if you are called. It’s not that hard to show up. I did it a few times.
Why not? Why is military service not required? If it was we would have 150 million less people living here. There is nothing wrong with having a strong , prepared , highly trained group of men and women. Someday you may take a look around and realize “ where is the military?” As I said , some people like sitting and serving on jury duty… they should volunteer. Honestly most don’t look at serving as a right or duty. The charging judge used to tell the prospective jury the same at their swearing in. Watch the video.

Good for you but in about 40 years see if you feel the same. Example: over a certain age ( not 75) you should have the choice to refuse without jumping through hoops. 70 should be the max age … same with term limits in politics… I’m all for those.

Good for you but in about 40 years see if you feel the same. Example: over a certain age ( not 75) you should have the choice to refuse without jumping through hoops. 70 should be the max age … same with term limits in politics… I’m all for those.
I’m in my 50s so I most likely won’t be alive in 40 years. Not sure why the max age is 75 but I have no issue if they make the cut off 65 or something else.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Why not? Why is military service not required? If it was we would have 150 million less people living here. There is nothing wrong with having a strong , prepared , highly trained group of men and women. Someday you may take a look around and realize “ where is the military?” As I said , some people like sitting and serving on jury duty… they should volunteer. Honestly most don’t look at serving as a right or duty. The charging judge used to tell the prospective jury the same at their swearing in. Watch the video.
This thread isn’t to debate if our military should be required or volunteer. That’s why I questioned why you compare military service to Jury duty.

It’s interesting how some opine about what constitutes patriotism and what doesn’t. I always thought that one of the main reasons of needing and using military force was to defend the ideas and a system in which trial by jury of citizens is a staple. You would think most would view it as a civic requirement even if disruptive and time consuming.
It was at one time… that is absolutely true. However let’s see into the future. Do you honestly believe as we are seeing recently people want to do this “ duty to country”? Juries are now easily manipulated by the prosecutor, judges and the media. How does one prevent the jury from knowing or hearing about a particular case? It is totally and literally impossible.

I’m in my 50s so I most likely won’t be alive in 40 years. Not sure why the max age is 75 but I have no issue if they make the cut off 65 or something else.
That’s a good point. New Jersey 75 year olds for the most part don’t want to be driving to New Brunswick or Trenton or Newark . The courts DON’T care about one’s personal safety on your commute to court or upon dismissal. Parking in a parking garage for an elderly 75 year old man or woman is unsafe. Parking on the Green Street lot in Newark is not the best. I will say this… jury parking in Trenton was adjacent and much more safe than the others.

Reactions: MulletCork
It was at one time… that is absolutely true. However let’s see into the future. Do you honestly believe as we are seeing recently people want to do this “ duty to country”? Juries are now easily manipulated by the prosecutor, judges and the media. How does one prevent the jury from knowing or hearing about a particular case? It is totally and literally impossible.

Juries have always been manipulated by prosecutors, judges and the media, although the media more today than in the past. AND defense attorneys.

Reactions: mildone
This thread isn’t to debate if our military should be required or volunteer. That’s why I questioned why you compare military service to Jury duty.
I ‘m not a proponent or advocating for military conscription ( and I served) . Though it might benefit some of the more troubled and confused young people hanging around doing nothing. It’s not a debate. What would happen in a major incident such as a Pearl Harbor or 911? Do you think today’s youth would respond as they did then? Defend the country who gave them so much. I would hope they would but we have too many who over use the phrase “ PATRIOT” and that is the issue. Serving jury duty has little to do with actual patriotism.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
One car accident case , they asked about knowing anyone in an accident suing. I said , “insurance just paid up”. Plantiff attorney excused me

Reactions: RUBOB72

I ‘m not a proponent or advocating for military conscription ( and I served) . Though it might benefit some of the more troubled and confused young people hanging around doing nothing. It’s not a debate. What would happen in a major incident such as a Pearl Harbor or 911? Do you think today’s youth would respond as they did then? Defend the country who gave them so much. I would hope they would but we have too many who over use the phrase “ PATRIOT” and that is the issue. Serving jury duty has little to do with actual patriotism.

I believe that in a real national crisis, today's young people would respond properly. Every generation of young people, including "The Greatest Generation," had a bunch of geezers like me dismissing them as no-good, lazy schlubs...

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Much different time frame…Much different political atmosphere… much more dangerous groups in this country… if people thought campus protests were bad in the mid to late 60’s- 70’s What we just witnessed recently is just a reminder that evil is all around. Your generation was mild in comparison… not even close. Can’t agree with everything but there are those who would definitely defend the Republic. I’m betting on my grand children that they will turn this upside down world right side up along with this newest generation.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
I believe that in a real national crisis, today's young people would respond properly. Every generation of young people, including "The Greatest Generation," had a bunch of geezers like me dismissing them as no-good, lazy schlubs...
Well that is well documented . I still find it hard to fathom my late father ( graduated HS 1941 mid year) and at age 17 enlisted with 42 other classmates . Spent 5 years away in the South Pacific and never once felt sorry for himself. A little guy ( 5’9” 135lbs) the man had brains and guts.

They say legendary friends never die!
Plum nailed that one! I on the other hand gave Ash and Urbans endorsement too much weight. Although by 6 months in my tune was changing towards Ash and it had nothing to do with the product on the field.

My father passed in October of 2022. I’m the executor of the estate. I live in Hunterdon County and he spent the last 60+ years of his life in Monmouth County. Sometime in mid-2023, I received a jury duty summons in his name in Hunterdon County (a county he never lived in). Obviously a computer error since his estate is tied to my address. To be fair, when I called to explain, the folks in Flemington were excellent.

Also, if you legitimately get called, do your damn civic duty. JMO.
I've never been close to being picked for a jury and I've always wanted to be on one.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I've never been close to being picked for a jury and I've always wanted to be on one.
I agree. If I’m going to go through with being called every three years. Having to show up and sit in freehold for 6-8 hours 3 of the 5 times called. The least they could do is have an actual trial. Last 2 times they were sitting for 1 case and had minimum 400 people there. Don’t waste 400 peoples day for 1 possible trial. And both times they settled prior to trial.

WWGSD?

i got called and in morning session some older fellow insisted he couldn't hear instructions. Our group wasn't picked but we had to stay for afternoon so we went to lunch across street. Our deaf member sure knew when his order was ready. Damn near broke his neck spinning his head

I agree. If I’m going to go through with being called every three years. Having to show up and sit in freehold for 6-8 hours 3 of the 5 times called. The least they could do is have an actual trial. Last 2 times they were sitting for 1 case and had minimum 400 people there. Don’t waste 400 peoples day for 1 possible trial. And both times they settled prior to trial.

No night before home call, or e-mail, excusing some, though of all, of those 400? They do that in Bergen.

No night before home call, or e-mail, excusing some, though of all, of those 400? They do that in Bergen.
Yep night before call. 2 times was told don’t have to report. 3 times had to report. Dismissed once before lunch. Other 2 times had to stay until 3-4 pm.

Have been on jury in 5 trials. Two criminal and three civil, I’m prettty good at keeping up up with current events and had no knowledge of any of the cases going in

Disturbing thread - Service on jury duty is a cost of being a citizen. Lots of selfish people on this board. Amazing how self-absorbed people have become.
Absolutely. Civic duty. It is why our extraordinary justice system works

Reactions: letitrip2
Since 1985 and pre-Covid, I have been called for Jury duty every 3 years (first Union County and now Bergen).

First time ever was the annual drug sting in Union County (yikes!). Just finished my freshman year and was working an hourly job for the summer. Trial lasted more than 2 weeks (so that hurt not making $). Even worse was the jury selection process where you had to give your name, address and college/employer in front of the defendant & their families in the court room. Scary for a 19 year old.

Served another criminal and a bunch of civil trials over the years. Most other years I attended and was not selected. The Y2K year was the only time I ever called the night before and was not needed (since my date was the first business date after New Year's and everyone assumed the worst - so no cases pending).

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Have been on jury in 5 trials. Two criminal and three civil, I’m prettty good at keeping up up with current events and had no knowledge of any of the cases going in
Small time record … only 5 ? I have been on cases which were headliners in the news .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT