ADVERTISEMENT

Some crazy misconceptions

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
If Danny had been hired he would probably be long gone by now. Steve is a lifer.

There are no negative recruiting implications with respect to Rutgers with this Natty.

No,UConn was not lucky. They were the best team in the country but for 21 days and would have rolled through the tourney in the year Virginia won it,the last Nova win and 2014.

Danny is an excellent coach but walked into a blue blood like UNC or Kentucky and righted a slightly wayward ship.But a ship with a solid foundation.

UConn has a wealthy and fervent fan base and that is tough to replicate anywhere.

Big Ten money is not relevant because 90% of the one billion is football Accurate.

Rutgers will be fine and Steve does not have to win a Natty to be a great Rutgers coach.Still can't believe that UConn has 5 in a time frame in which Big Ten has one. That's staggering.But completely irrelevant.

Last edited:
I would take hurley winning a natty and leaving >>>>>

Lmao

Don't know anything about Hurley but the "stepping stone HC" dumb argument has been repeated for years (mostly on the football side).

Coaches only move on if they are successful. Why is hiring a coach that you expect to be successful - so successful that other schools will poach them immediately - a bad thing?

You are also basically saying "The AD is dumb and can't be trusted to make a second good HC hire. They got lucky the first time."
You think Cincinnati football ever cared about being a "stepping stone"? No. They just hire another HC who turns out successful.

Don't know anything about Hurley but the "stepping stone HC" dumb argument has been repeated for years (mostly on the football side).

Coaches only move on if they are successful. Why is hiring a coach that you expect to be successful - so successful that other schools will poach them immediately - a bad thing?

You are also basically saying "The AD is dumb and can't be trusted to make a second good HC hire. They got lucky the first time."
You think Cincinnati football ever cared about being a "stepping stone"? No. They just hire another HC who turns out successful.
100%

LoL. Tell that to St. Peters. For every Cincinnati there are dozens of programs that fail miserably. Plus there is a huge difference between sustaining success vs. building from the very bottom. This isn't the pros.... and there is not magical funds that appear for every program to continue to successfully replace coaches. For many programs the margin of error is extremely thin. Because programs like UConn have deep pockets especially targeted for Basketball. RU sports is lacking in benefactors compared to many peer schools and has not yet even achieved full BIG funding. Thankfully we're in a much better position than when Pike was hired....but lets say he left after 2020 and key players exited as well...it would likely have been very bumpy.

He has the potential to.

Highly, highly doubt Hurley would have come in here and done anything like this in close to the same timeframe he has at UCONN FWIW

I agree - and his ask (waaay above what his worth AT THE TIME) told me he didn’t want to be here - suggests to me that he would have jumped at the first sign of success at RU to something bigger

Jay Wright jumped before he signed on the dotted line!! LOL

We have a lifer (or what appears to be as close to one as possible) that has the program moving up.

I am not saying that I wouldn’t have wanted hurley or Wright . And I am not saying they wouldn’t have succeeded here. But they would have jumped very quickly and we’d be back in repetitive find-a coach mode.

I’m happy with pike

You're kidding -- the BIG is wise and doesn't need or want UConn for a host of reasons. Why would a RU fan even suggest that?
"Hey they are a fit for basketball. Who cares if there is nothing else in common from an academic or sports perspective?"

At least that's what I think this guy is saying. Otherwise, yeah it's a strange comment.

Why are there no negative recruiting implications with Danny winning the title? I really think there are. We do recruit some of the same kids, and I think the title is a major plus for Danny

If Danny had been hired he would probably be long gone by now. Steve is a lifer.

There are no negative recruiting implications with respect to Rutgers with this Natty.

No,UConn was not lucky. They were the best team in the country but for 21 days and would have rolled through the tourney in the year Virginia won it,the last Nova win and 2014.

Danny is an excellent coach but walked into a blue blood like UNC or Kentucky and righted a slightly wayward ship.But a ship with a solid foundation.

UConn has a wealthy and fervent fan base and that is tough to replicate anywhere.

Big Ten money is not relevant because 90% of the one billion is football Accurate.

Rutgers will be fine and Steve does not have to win a Natty to be a great Rutgers coach.Still can't believe that UConn has 5 in a time frame in which Big Ten has one. That's staggering.But completely irrelevant.
Hurley wasn't leaving Rutgers after the first signs of success, however, keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. He could have established his own dynasty in the NYC metro area at the largest state university in the top conference and endless opportunities to market himself, yep, he was leaving that behind, please, stop.

Agree with most, but "no negative recruiting implications" is a bit ludicrous. Over the next few seasons, any recruit we cross paths on will be impacted by this. And yes, we certainly cross paths occasionally with that program.

LoL. Tell that to St. Peters. For every Cincinnati there are dozens of programs that fail miserably. Plus there is a huge difference between sustaining success vs. building from the very bottom. This isn't the pros.... and there is not magical funds that appear for every program to continue to successfully replace coaches. For many programs the margin of error is extremely thin. Because programs like UConn have deep pockets especially targeted for Basketball. RU sports is lacking in benefactors compared to many peer schools and has not yet even achieved full BIG funding. Thankfully we're in a much better position than when Pike was hired....but lets say he left after 2020 and key players exited as well...it would likely have been very bumpy.

Seriously comparing us replacing a successful HC to St. Peters? I would think our program is in a slightly different state than theirs and have different options of HC replacements.

Sorry, but the assumption that "if a successful HC leaves - our Athletic Department is likely to fail miserably at the next HC hire" isn't something I readily accept. That's pretty negative view.
We aren't building from the very bottom. If a HC is poached - by definition they had success.
We are in the Big Ten and receiving more conference money than every almost every other school.

That Shrewsbury guy just got poached from PSU.
Are they destined to fail miserably? Seems like most think they made a good hire.
Time will tell.

So if HC Pike leaves in 2 years - we're doomed? Well that sucks.
No money to replace him with even an adequate HC?
Hopefully he never dies then.

The Big Ten would be wise to invite UConn. They would bring a dynamic, modern offense to a stagnant conference.
UCONN would fit right in to the B1G as their offense is similar to the typical B1G offense. They also play at a deliberate pace. They are no different.

Seriously comparing us replacing a successful HC to St. Peters? I would think our program is in a slightly different state than theirs and have different options of HC replacements.

Sorry, but the assumption that "if a successful HC leaves - our Athletic Department is likely to fail miserably at the next HC hire" isn't something I readily accept. That's pretty negative view.
We aren't building from the very bottom. If a HC is poached - by definition they had success.
We are in the Big Ten and receiving more conference money than every almost every other school.

That Shrewsbury guy just got poached from PSU.
Are they destined to fail miserably? Seems like most think they made a good hire.
Time will tell.

So if HC Pike leaves in 2 years - we're doomed? Well that sucks.
No money to replace him with even an adequate HC?
Hopefully he never dies then.

I think you missed my point, or I did not explain it well enough. Takes a bit of projection. You seem to forget just how bad the RU Basketball program was prior to Pike.....so to use St. Peters as a comparison is not that far fetched. It took about 4-6 years for Pike to build program respectibility. Its easy to say that if he left now, things would not be doomed since he has built us to a level of top half of the BIG with targeted top recruits. However if he left after 2020, there is no guarantee of continued progression, nor if players would have hit the portal and we would start from scratch. The stink of Eddie Jordan years would still exist and not sure it would be as easy a re-load as you are making it out to be. This is all a projection but the debate was that Hurley if he did come to RU would have left given the the first early success.

Shrewsbury is perhaps a much better example of what could have happened at RU. Early success and he took another job. You are right that time will tell what happens, but have you examined the situation to give your opinion/projection on their outlook? They have at least 5 guys graduating including Pickett, Funk and Dread and they have another 5 guys who have entered the Transfer Portal. That's at least 10 guys out including key starters from a roster of 15. If this happened at RU 1-2 years into Pike's tenure everyone here would be crying "doomed".

You're kidding -- the BIG is wise and doesn't need or want UConn for a host of reasons. Why would a RU fan even suggest that?
The ACC passed on uconn
And that conference pays more attention to basketball than the big ten does

The big ten would be a harder sell

The ACC passed on uconn
And that conference pays more attention to basketball than the big ten does

The big ten would be a harder sell
The ACC wanted Uconn - BC used their regional veto or something to that effect

The ACC wanted Uconn - BC used their regional veto or something to that effect
Did not hear that
Each conference should not allow a single program to block expansion

I would guess Seton Hall wanted to block RU to the big east during the football additions but got overruled

Thank you.

If he wanted to be there he would have been.

Phil Martelli also turned us down as have many over the years. Beilein, etc.
Yup. Even Bill freakin’ Herrion turned us down and went to ECU. We weren’t exactly a desirable destination. Pike has changed that.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Acceptance of low standards, lack of vision and wearing blinders.

Pretty much describes the typical Rutgers athletics fan.

Continual complainer who only shows up to denigrate RU while constantly talking up other teams / points fingers and has likely never donated nor done anything for RU.

Pretty much describes a waste of life troll.

Reactions: shields
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT