ADVERTISEMENT

Some new news about the schedule

Anyone who understands Princeton known that they do such unorthodox stuff that runs against to be successful that is counter to a lot of half court defensive things you try to teach for the rest of the schedule

It's like playing navy and army in football

You really have to dedicate a lot time resources for one freakin out of confrence against a low major game that is a no win public relations situation if you win and a disaster if you lose

An absolutely pass. Period

And I live 10 minutes from jadwin gym ...so I have ALL the incentive in the world to have a ru home game in my backyard every other December

Can not disagree with you more. Would help you play in the tourney some day where you will play with teams with all type of tempos. B1G team should not be scared of an Ivy and even if we did lose... it's not a bad loss.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU and JoeRU
If it's your point that beating the Coppin's and the Hartford's of the world work to improving your basketball program we'll just have to respectfully disagree.
Well I would hope going forward @PaKnight is including Princeton and Monmouth in his Gordon Gekko speech.

If we are on this upward trajectory as most of feel we are these type of opponents should not give us pause after we make the climb. Regardless of the O or D they play.

Monmouth playing Kentucky next year in the Garden.
I'm sure most going to that game are going to see Monmouth [winking]
But, in all seriousness, King Rice has built up name recondition for the Hawks
asfter having the type of seasons Monmouth had the last 2 years (28-8 & 27-7 with 2 NIT appearances)

If it's your point that beating the Coppin's and the Hartford's of the world work to improving your basketball program we'll just have to respectfully disagree.
When you are a down trodden basketball program wins are essential to enhance the perception of the program and ultimately attract more talented players.Rutgers has been in a status quo mode of mediocrity for decades.The record against B1G competition has been abysmal which clearly shows playing a tougher out of conference schedule makes no sense right now.

I understand that fans want to see higher level competition at the RAC.The problem is that the lack of talent would result in home game losses which is the last thing Coach Pikiell wants in building a program.

Last edited:
I disagree that beating stiffs enhances the image of your program.

People aren't stupid.

I know if you lose to them it detracts from your program.

No doubt you have to play some but this OOC schedule is just so feeble.

It kills your opportunity to expand your season ticket base.

I'm in the "wins are better than losses" boat. In just a year people will look at what your record was and not every team you beat in the OOC. If you think it's better for the program to lose to good teams than to beat average to bad teams, look at football in 2006-2007 vs 2015-2016.

I am still wondering which teams might be among the 3 other OOC games to be added? I still am hoping for Boston College in the ACC-BIG 10 Challenge. Perhaps we might have an away game or are we going the Syracuse route to never leave our home state in the OOC.

Pitt could also be the ACC opponent, they will definitely be last place ACC with only one returner in double didgit minutes played last year

In the short run wins no matter how weak the competition matter - Syracuse built its reputation playing cupcakes in the ECAC North prior to becoming a charter member of the Big Eat.

Pittsburgh would be alright too but I know BC was not involved last year. I think we have a better chance of playing BC as they did not participate in 2014 or 2016 and in 2015 they played Penn State at home.

I don't think it will be Pitt as they were at Maryland in 2016.

For years Cuse would play almost every OOC game at home or at least never leave the state. Cornell or Buffalo were often among their biggest challenges. We played a very easy OOC this past season and it looks like the same this coming season but I think once Pikiell has his guys entirely on the roster we will improve the OOC schedule. I believe we will be playing Monmouth and Princeton in a few years once again plus adding other tougher teams.

In the short run wins no matter how weak the competition matter - Syracuse built its reputation playing cupcakes in the ECAC North prior to becoming a charter member of the Big Eat.
For years Cuse would play almost every OOC game at home or at least never leave the state. Cornell or Buffalo were often among their biggest challenges. We played a very easy OOC this past season and it looks like the same this coming season but I think once Pikiell has his guys entirely on the roster we will improve the OOC schedule. I believe we will be playing Monmouth and Princeton in a few years once again plus adding other tougher teams.
Agree with both you.

Wins first and why leave NJ if we don't have to?

Still think Princeton should be a regular opponent and think very soon we will not be concerned about a win here.

What about Newark or Camden for a scrimmage or a 1st game? Doesn't Wisky do this with other UW schools?

I really wish we would schedule one OOC marquee game at the RAC each year. As a fan, it's tough to get excited about going to any games until the B1G teams come in....and lately by then, a lot if the excitement for many "fans" has already waned.

I agree the program needs to build itself up but last year's OCC schedule was ridiculous.

I think getting more local OOC teams makes it more interesting at least as you would then know/recognize the schools. Looking to routinely schedule schools like:
-Seton Hall
-Rider
-Princeton
-FDU
-St. Peter's
-Temple
-LaSalle
-Drexel
-St. Joe's
-Penn
-Lafayette
-Lehigh
-Duquesne
-Robert Morris
-Delaware
-Loyola
-Navy
-Army
-Hofstra
-Iona
-St. Bonaventure
-Manhattan
-Stony Brook
-Fordham
-Marist

Reactions: RUDave_01
I think getting more local OOC teams makes it more interesting at least as you would then know/recognize the schools. Looking to routinely schedule schools like:
-Seton Hall
-Rider
-Princeton
-FDU

-St. Peter's
-Temple
-LaSalle
-Drexel
-St. Joe's
-Penn

-Lafayette
-Lehigh
-Duquesne
-Robert Morris
-Delaware
-Loyola
-Navy
-Army
-Hofstra
-Iona
-St. Bonaventure
-Manhattan
-Stony Brook
-Fordham
-Marist
The RED (and maybe some other NJ schools) every year and most should be at the RAC (except Seton Hall and Princeton).

The BLUE only at the Palestra for their "home" game (if a series) and even then I would prefer them coming to us. I'm iffy on "where" for Temple.

The GREEN at MSG for their "home" game (if a series).

The rest at the RAC or we find somebody else.

Reactions: MOBFreehold
We have such a tough conference schedule but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be in some type of tropical sun tourney regardless of the competition. I guess that will happen when the program is really at full strength. We are getting there but I'm anxious to see a glimpse of what the roster will look like in 2018 and 2019. I will go to hoops on the road and hopefully we land in some nice destinations in the winter. Florida, Arizona, Puerto Rico??? Hawaii is too damn far. Great place but no need for a 12 hour flight.

Like Rhode Island, I would like to see Rutgers schedule a home and home with FGCU. Fellow Big Ten member Michigan State has, too. Lots of Rutgers alumni on the Gulf Coast of Florida. And recruiting Florida is a good thing.

Reactions: dollarbill
Like Rhode Island, I would like to see Rutgers schedule a home and home with FGCU. Fellow Big Ten member Michigan State has, too. Lots of Rutgers alumni on the Gulf Coast of Florida. And recruiting Florida is a good thing.
Tell the folks at Germain Arena to have some kind of holiday tournament (where FGCU is the host) like @bowlgoal suggests and I am onboard.

I think a lot of BB people would agree.

The best way to improve your RPI and KenPom rankings without destroying yourself is to elevate the bottom of the schedule, not by adding a big name to the top. Playing a bunch of teams who don't totally suck -- and beating your fair share -- will do far more for you than getting blasted by one great team and beating a bunch of bottom-feeders. AFTER you do that, then get a big name for the fans.

And you're not fooling the NIT with BS wins. You used to be able to do that, but to say that's the goal when you schedule sure Ws is just plain wrong.

LOVE LOVE LOVE playing a boatload of regional rivals. Most of them will not require a home-and-home, and only a few even merit 2-for-1s. And they don't all suck. Hell, I'd love to resurrect the old version of the ECAC Holiday Festival, too. A couple of Metro teams playing a couple of non-area foes. The RAC would love that -- AFTER we improve a couple of levels, of course.

What's the benefit to FGCU to having a home-and-home with Rutgers?

Michigan and Rhode Island I get, those are NCAA Tournament teams.

What's the benefit to FGCU to having a home-and-home with Rutgers?

Michigan and Rhode Island I get, those are NCAA Tournament teams.
Playing a Big Ten team in the media capitol of the world. Taking his team into NYC. Joe Dooley can visit NJ friends and family nearby. Maybe combine the trip with its league game against NJIT.

Reactions: dollarbill
Playing a Big Ten team in the media capitol of the world. Taking his team into NYC. Joe Dooley can visit NJ friends and family nearby. Maybe combine the trip with its league game against NJIT.
Are you suggesting playing one a game at MSG?

All of that could happen with a guarantee ($$$) game at Rutgers.

Perhaps we should start scheduling one of Philly schools yearly....tougher game but it put the Rutgers brand front and center yearly in an area which we look to recruit (Especially in football) Maybe play off campus down there at Palestra (if still viable) or some other venue. If it takes off perhaps Rutgers could host at neutral site on occassion

I'm sure most going to that game are going to see Monmouth [winking]
But, in all seriousness, King Rice has built up name recondition for the Hawks
asfter having the type of seasons Monmouth had the last 2 years (28-8 & 27-7 with 2 NIT appearances)

Pretty good teams but let's face it It was the antics of the bench put on ESPN that got people to notice Monmouth Then they saw the team was doing well also

Getting more exposure in the DMV could be beneficial. Playing a H&H with Georgetown could be very beneficial to both programs. Gives us (and Karl Hobbs) another opportunity to show face in the area they're trying to hit hard on the trail, and Ewing would be closer to his NY market. Also revives some old Big East matchups which are always fun.

Perhaps we should start scheduling one of Philly schools yearly....tougher game but it put the Rutgers brand front and center yearly in an area which we look to recruit (Especially in football) Maybe play off campus down there at Palestra (if still viable) or some other venue. If it takes off perhaps Rutgers could host at neutral site on occassion
Play the teams I listed in blue in the @TrueRU post above.

I mentioned the Palestra in my response.

Reactions: MOBFreehold
The RED (and maybe some other NJ schools) every year and most should be at the RAC (except Seton Hall and Princeton).

The BLUE only at the Palestra for their "home" game (if a series) and even then I would prefer them coming to us. I'm iffy on "where" for Temple.

The GREEN at MSG for their "home" game (if a series).

The rest at the RAC or we find somebody else.

The Green plus Stoney Brook and Hostra cup l d a l so be in Brooklyn. Might be a nice change of scenery. Plus different local products who are proud to say "I'm from Brooklyn" ,Not New York

11/11 at the RAC with two more games to be scheduled....

Plus other than keeping the seton hall series gojng (road game in 18-19)...no games with a commitment to return game at someone's place remaining

Finally ahead on scheduling

I would think that Steve P would love to get a game at the Garden in a OOC as one of the remaining two games to schedule for 17-18

The Green plus Stoney Brook and Hostra cup l d a l so be in Brooklyn. Might be a nice change of scenery. Plus different local products who are proud to say "I'm from Brooklyn" ,Not New York
I doubt Manhattan or Fordham would be cool with that unless the Nets or the Barclays people foot the bill. No way should we be doing that, paying schools and not playing at home.

And the ones I didn't color I did so for a reason....RAC or we move on in our Rolodex to somebody else.

We already have Fordham coming to the RAC this season. We played them last season at MSG.

But wasn't that a tournament thing at MSG?

What I think @TrueRU was talking about were regular season games.
Yes I was just referring to that long list of possible opponents to consider from year to year as regular season games. Trying to keep local games in there. I'd consider playing many of them on the road too as the team wouldn't have to travel far and could be a decent opponent.

Yes I was just referring to that long list of possible opponents to consider from year to year as regular season games. Trying to keep local games in there. I'd consider playing many of them on the road too as the team wouldn't have to travel far and could be a decent opponent.
That's why I qualified it by suggesting where they should play THEIR home game if it were a series. ;)

(And I like your local flavor idea too)

Philly area teams: the Palestra

NYC area teams: the Garden

Too bad every other year we can't have 8 NJ schools play with 4 schools in A and 4 schools in B with 3 games in your group and a Final game vs the other group based on performance. It would be neat to have a NJ champ every other year.

Group A
Rutgers (3H 0A)
Princeton (1H 2A)
FDU (1H 2A)
St. Peter (1H 2A)

Group B
SHU (3H 0A)
Monmouth (1H 2A)
Rider (1H 2A)
NJIT (1H 2A)

Quadruple header final day shifts every other year
2018 JC Armory (St. peters)
2020 Jadwin Gym (Princeton)
2022 Newish Arena in Trenton (Rider)
2024 Ocean 1st center (Monmouth)
So cool. Had exact same idea! Would put some cachet for nj hoops, can get HS involved too, great idea

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT