ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle

Grayson Walthall
2020-21 • JUNIOR SEASON:
Went 6-8 as the starter at heavyweight ... 5-3 in SoCon action ... made the Dean's List and the A.D. Honor Roll in the fall.
2019-20 • SOPHOMORE SEASON: Went 8-21 as the starter at heavyweight ... 5-8 in tournament action ... six of eight wins were pins ... fourth place at the Southeast Open ... made the Dean's List and the A.D. Honor Roll in the spring.

Colucci wins his first consolation match 8-2 against Solomon Harris (VMI)

Why on earth did many of the big programs that normally send their starters (PSU, OKST, Iowa, Cornell) only send their backups or mostly backups??????? I'm sorry but college wrestling is a joke now. These coaches are killing the sport and will wonder why people stop buying tickets and attending duals and stop paying to watch the video stream. Too many don't want to wrestle the regular season and 🦆 tough matchups, so they should just shut it down and wait until March. /Rant

Why on earth did many of the big programs that normally send their starters (PSU, OKST, Iowa, Cornell) only send their backups or mostly backups??????? I'm sorry but college wrestling is a joke now. These coaches are killing the sport and will wonder why people stop buying tickets and attending duals and stop paying to watch the video stream. Too many don't want to wrestle the regular season and 🦆 tough matchups, so they should just shut it down and wait until March. /Rant
Agree, I am trying to find the John Smith quote about the Scuffle. He said worried about Covid and sending the backups...Lol Like the backups cant give it to the starters.

Reactions: Leonard23
It’s hot garbage… sport is outsmarting itself. Time to rip off the bandaid and move this to a one semester sport and just start practice in December at this point.

Agree, I am trying to find the John Smith quote about the Scuffle. He said worried about Covid and sending the backups...Lol Like the backups cant give it to the starters.
Yeah or the coaches that went giving it to starters.
It’s hot garbage… sport is outsmarting itself. Time to rip off the bandaid and move this to a one semester sport and just start practice in December at this point.
Yup. And no need to move nationals back a month later to April. Keep the same timeline if everyone is just 🦆🦆🦆🦆 and saving up for nationals.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
The #1 seed at 125, Cardinale (WVU), just ducked McKee (Minn) and MFF in the finals. This is becoming an embarrassment.

The whole tourney was an embarrassment. Iowa and PSU sent backups and redshirts. Many other teams did too

If you want to see change, don’t subscribe to any of the media outlets next year. Money talks.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The #1 seed at 125, Cardinale (WVU), just ducked McKee (Minn) and MFF in the finals. This is becoming an embarrassment.
Season and dual meets just feel pointless.. what’s at stake, y does anyone care, let’s just duck/protect seeds until nationals…if ur higher ranked y wrestle at all n risk it y not just wait till conferences to start….this is what it feels like.

I think the ducking is bad for us fans and an unfortunate part of the sport. However, it is obviously a strategic move on the coaches' part that might be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I've always hated seeing the prevent defense in football. I think it is somewhat similar in that if the coach doesn't do it and gets scored on by a long pass, he risks great criticism for not invoking the prevent. Politics are embedded in everything.

Why would a wrestler travel to a major tournament, work his way into the finals, and not compete? If he is not 100% physically and is risking injury, I can understand it. I would appreciate some education on this topic. Thanks. $$$$

Time for the NCAA to step in and revise the eligibility rules for their tournament but we all know that won’t happen. This sport at the collegiate level has shown phenomenal growth over the past decade and it’s all going to disappear when fans realize that all that really matters is three days in March. Wrestlers want to wrestle the best but coaches want to manipulate seedings for March and that sucks for a sport that prides itself on the competitive fire of its athletes.

Last edited:
Think about it you are a returning national champion(1 seed). Why would you go to any tournaments, why should you wrestle in any dual meets( your backup can do those why risk lowering your seed dual meets are meaningless apparently). Coaches send you out when you face a higher ranked wrestler(chance to improve seed) but then the other coach does the same and sits his wrestler(protect seed).. so now you never wrestle(only against guys your heavily favored over to meet min match req🤷‍♂️) and train until conferences or even just nationals and retain high seed.

What are some solutions? Maybe make some kind of min match req and maybe make dual meets important.. why not a dual meet championship where it’s just as important as the ncaa tourney? There are divisions and conferences (like nfl) and you actually got to qualify and wrestle in playoffs… maybe gives it a more team feel..

Time for the NCAA to step in and revise the eligibility rules for their tournament but we all know that won’t happen. This sport at the collegiate level has shown phenomenal growth over the past decade and it’s all going to disappear when fans realize that all that really matters is three days in March. Wrestlers want to wrestle the best but coaches want to manipulate seedings for March and that sucks for a sport that prides itself on the competitive fire of its athletes.
Agree. Next year may choose to watch on BTN and the internet. Why buy tickets to see inferior product. Don't want to travel to the Pru and see UNC forfeit or wrestle backups. Last match at the RAC the good Army kid not wrestling Van Brill. Not all fans can go to NCAAs. I think we are one of the few teams that doesn't duck bouts.

Most of the big programs were at the National Collegiate Duals in Florida on December 20-21, where each team had three duals. It was an either/or decision for them.

Think about it you are a returning national champion(1 seed). Why would you go to any tournaments, why should you wrestle in any dual meets( your backup can do those why risk lowering your seed dual meets are meaningless apparently). Coaches send you out when you face a higher ranked wrestler(chance to improve seed) but then the other coach does the same and sits his wrestler(protect seed).. so now you never wrestle(only against guys your heavily favored over to meet min match req🤷‍♂️) and train until conferences or even just nationals and retain high seed.

What are some solutions? Maybe make some kind of min match req and maybe make dual meets important.. why not a dual meet championship where it’s just as important as the ncaa tourney? There are divisions and conferences (like nfl) and you actually got to qualify and wrestle in playoffs… maybe gives it a more team feel..
Solutions:

-15 match requirement to qualify for nationals.
-injury defaults don’t count towards the match requirement
-get rid of team points at nationals and start a dual meet tournament

Reactions: KidDagger
Agree. Next year may choose to watch on BTN and the internet. Why buy tickets to see inferior product. Don't want to travel to the Pru and see UNC forfeit or wrestle backups. Last match at the RAC the good Army kid not wrestling Van Brill. Not all fans can go to NCAAs. I think we are one of the few teams that doesn't duck bouts.
Probably because of Goodales background. Being a former high school teacher and coach, part of his coaching philosophy is education based. He wants his kids to learn and improve whereas these other coaches just see wins and losses. I respect Goodale for that.

Reactions: DUForever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT