ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee's Mom

I don't know that looked more like mental illness.
I’ll stay with my diagnosis as it is based on observing the Terrible Twosome going back to their undergraduate days. It’s much more than just last night‘s episode. If the man has a mental illness I certainly hope he gets help but we’ve seen this behavior from many Hawkeyes for many years. Either way it’s an unfortunate end to an otherwise brilliant career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvi's Headband
He’s a warrior though!!
He certainly is. But unless he is injured, that's a very poor way to bow out of your last opportunity on the mat. Fans are there to see him and especially the Hawkeye faithful who want to watch him one last time. Sour grapes and seeing mom makes me think the Lee family is a little too used to winning.

He certainly is. But unless he is injured, that's a very poor way to bow out of your last opportunity on the mat. Fans are there to see him and especially the Hawkeye faithful who want to watch him one last time. Sour grapes and seeing mom makes me think the Lee family is a little too used to winning.
He’s not a warrior. He didn’t get injured in that last second toss. If he somehow pops out of that and hits a reversal and snags 2 backs and wins the match, do you think he MFF’s the finals? Absolutely embarrassing decision by an all time great.

He’s not a warrior. He didn’t get injured in that last second toss. If he somehow pops out of that and hits a reversal and snags 2 backs and wins the match, do you think he MFF’s the finals? Absolutely embarrassing decision by an all time great.
Third or sixth.. doesn’t matter to him… might even look better in history books if it might get some assumptions that he lost semifinal bc he got injured… either way it’s pretty hard to keep going after getting upset like that.. I’m sure he woulda wrestled if it still impacted the team race

Reactions: mikemessner
Third or sixth.. doesn’t matter to him… might even look better in history books if it might get some assumptions that he lost semifinal bc he got injured… either way it’s pretty hard to keep going after getting upset like that.. I’m sure he woulda wrestled if it still impacted the team race
If you can’t emotionally wrestle for 3rd because you lost in the semi’s, you are a coward not a warrior.

In normal circumstances, 99.99% of the time, it would be sour grapes after an unexpected loss. The impact of losing that match, what was expected to be his last and a monumental achievement, had to be crushing emotionally at another level. There are losses and there are devastating losses. I wondered if he would be able to come back on the mat for 3rd. The emotional impact of that probably was physically draining as well. I don't excuse him but do understand.

I called it as soon as he was pinned. I turned and told my Rutgers friends in our suite that he was done and would forfeit out. He walked perfectly fine to the tunnel

Reactions: SCNJ
His college career ends the same way his high school career did. Desanto beat Lee in states their senior year. Phenomenal match

Reactions: rubigtimenow
He’s a warrior though!!

You smokin' something today? He is...he isnt? Or was the IS a sarcastic response? Must have been. I was going on warrior based on his past, not this tourney. The dude finished wrestling a year with 2 torn ACLs (or something like that), didn't he? BUT, then he went out with a whimper this year. He cheated his fans.

You smokin' something today? He is...he isnt? Or was the IS a sarcastic response? Must have been. I was going on warrior based on his past, not this tourney. The dude finished wrestling a year with 2 torn ACLs (or something like that), didn't he? BUT, then he went out with a whimper this year. He cheated his fans.
The first post was sarcasm. Spencer Lee does not ever shy away from telling you how tough he is and he’s a total cornball about it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
So then she understands what it’s like to lose and should have composed herself instead of becoming a viral cl
I called it as soon as he was pinned. I turned and told my Rutgers friends in our suite that he was done and would forfeit out. He walked perfectly fine to the tunnel
Told my wife the exact same thing at that time. Our logic was the same I am sure. Hope to see you at the spring game if not before.

We had no AAs and you focus on Lee's mom. WTF
Agree but I think posters are pointing out yet another reason why not many people think highly of the Iowa wrestling (Brands) culture. It really didn’t surprise me like it would have if another school‘s wrestler’s family member would have behaved as immaturely.
Maybe it’s just me but as Tom and Terry age they are starting to look like Don Imus.

Agree but I think posters are pointing out yet another reason why not many people think highly of the Iowa wrestling (Brands) culture. It really didn’t surprise me like it would have if another school‘s wrestler’s family member would have behaved as immaturely.
Maybe it’s just me but as Tom and Terry age they are starting to look like Don Imus.
They still produce. The Brands style while not liked by most. They are gods in Iowa. Unfortunately where did Iowa finish vs RU. Wrestling is intense…as a parent in can relate. Until we beat them we are just haters.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
Our guy's seasons are over. We can all shrivel up in the corner and/or complain about no AAs for the first time in how long? Or we can get over it and talk about the temper tantrum Mrs. Lee had on national television. It was an embarrassing display and worth her own thread in my opinion.
If that makes you happy good for you. I want AAs. Plus Lees resume…no one on RU can even come close.

They still produce. The Brands style while not liked by most. They are gods in Iowa. Unfortunately where did Iowa finish vs RU. Wrestling is intense…as a parent in can relate. Until we beat them we are just haters.
I still say that they look like Don Imus.

If that makes you happy good for you. I want AAs.
What needs to change. Tell us your opinion
Get more wrestlers like Lee. I know you’re at practice everyday. I will always bleed RU. I think you starting with the wrong person.. My family has contributed more $$$ then probably ever one who post. Plus my son started the AA run. So don’t ever question what I think needs to be changed. Screw lees mom

I think the criticism of Mrs. Lee is wrong. She is a parent who was hoping that her son would become a 4 time national champ. Only, five other wrestlers have done this. I view it as an emotional reaction of a mother who loved her son and was feeling his pain. Spencer endured many operations and suffered serious injuries. Few if any of us, could have endured his medical issues and still have competed. We saw a mother who was feeling her son's pain.

And by the way, I am not and have never been an Iowa fan.

The media and fans should have focused on Matt Ramos and given him the credit he deserves.

I think the criticism of Mrs. Lee is wrong. She is a parent who was hoping that her son would become a 4 time national champ. Only, five other wrestlers have done this. I view it as an emotional reaction of a mother who loved her son and was feeling his pain. Spencer endured many operations and suffered serious injuries. Few if any of us, could have endured his medical issues and still have competed. We saw a mother who was feeling her son's pain.

And by the way, I am not and have never been an Iowa fan.

The media and fans should have focused on Matt Ramos and given him the credit he deserves.
Spot on and very well stated

Get more wrestlers like Lee. I know you’re at practice everyday. I will always bleed RU. I think you starting with the wrong person.. My family has contributed more $$$ then probably ever one who post. Plus my son started the AA run. So don’t ever question what I think needs to be changed. Screw lees mom
I didn't questioned if you bleed RU or how much money you contribute. I ask the question what needs to change to produce more AA's. I see your response get more Lee's.
Don't worry I won't ask you again your opinion. Anthony started the AA run and I hope someone next year starts it back up.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
If that makes you happy good for you. I want AAs. Plus Lees resume…no one on RU can even come close.
I want AAs as well and I'm not complacent where we are at this moment if that was your thought. Very few programs consistently get Lee type recruits but we had a couple of pretty damn good ones wrestle for us recently. Unfortunately, we didn't capitalize off that success and catapult into the next level.

I tend to disagree with the posts that we are the 3rd team in NJ behind Princeton and Rider. The way I judge ranking is how did you fare in head to head dual meets which tells me what kind of a team you are. The last time I looked we beat both Princeton and Rider head to head in direct dual meet competition. I agree we have to recruit better as well as wrestle better.

I tend to disagree with the posts that we are the 3rd team in NJ behind Princeton and Rider. The way I judge ranking is how did you fare in head to head dual meets which tells me what kind of a team you are. The last time I looked we beat both Princeton and Rider head to head in direct dual meet competition. I agree we have to recruit better as well as wrestle better.
We are better then them in duals.. they were better then us at nationals this year.

Reactions: rugrapfan1
That's one way to look at it. The other is the final standings. Most look at the final standings, though I concede dual meet should weigh more substantially. The bottom line is Rider and Princetin had guys wrestling on the national stage for points when it mattered most. We didn't.

All year Coach Goodale said it is about March. Wrestling teams are judged by performance at the NCAAs. Let’s face facts. We had a bad year and should not change the benchmarks after the fact,

Hoping for substantial improvements next year.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
A team composed of Pat Glory and 9 middle schoolers would have put up around a top 25 finish this year. I don’t think you can judge full teams on the scoring system outside of comparing the top 5 or so.

I don’t know how you create the importance of it but this is why the sport would benefit from a dual tournament. Team scores at individual tournaments never made sense to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT