ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee's Mom

Yet we do judge teams that way outside the top 5. We certainly didn't complain about the scoring when we finished in tenth with a 12-6 record.

Pat Hobbs: "This is an historic night for Rutgers University, I cannot be happier for Nick and Anthony. It's a tremendous accomplishment. We're going to keep this going and keep building. Tonight, we started to show people where Rutgers is going to be moving forward."

Here is an interesting quote from Coach himself about why past teams with great records weren't successful. Fans of the program and Coach are following the lead here. It's not negativity or complaining. He set a new standard. Going backwards over a decade to look at dual wins is a mistake.

“We have developed a championship lifestyle. But I was a young coach at the time,” Goodale said. “This was a whole other level. The wrestling part was easy because I always worked hard. But there is so much more to it and I just got caught up in winning. That’s all I wanted to do. And we won a lot. But if those guys from that first class were with us now, we would have multiple-time All-Americans and I am sure we would have a couple of national champions in there. But I wasn’t the best leader at the time. I was all about winning. I was cutting corners. We would win a lot of dual-meets but we would go to the national tournament and we would never have All-Americans. I was learning on the go so to speak.”

Here is an interesting quote from Coach himself about why past teams with great records weren't successful. Fans of the program and Coach are following the lead here. It's not negativity or complaining. He set a new standard. Going backwards over a decade to look at dual wins is a mistake.

“We have developed a championship lifestyle. But I was a young coach at the time,” Goodale said. “This was a whole other level. The wrestling part was easy because I always worked hard. But there is so much more to it and I just got caught up in winning. That’s all I wanted to do. And we won a lot. But if those guys from that first class were with us now, we would have multiple-time All-Americans and I am sure we would have a couple of national champions in there. But I wasn’t the best leader at the time. I was all about winning. I was cutting corners. We would win a lot of dual-meets but we would go to the national tournament and we would never have All-Americans. I was learning on the go so to speak.”
Regarding Hobbs, he sounds like a politician. Politicians don't get things done.

I'm having trouble making sense of the Goodale quote.

Perhaps it was said with the thought that Alverez would be around. If we had Sammy then we'd have a better final ranking. Oh well.
We also got really bad draws in the bracket. Kind of a lame excuse but we ran into a lot of big 10 guys and top seeds

Reactions: njsportsphan
It is reality that the dual season is all about seeding in March and nothing more that is tangible other than cheering on your team. That fact leads to ducking and other manipulations to influence seeding that cheapen the duals and turn fans off big time. The damage that North Carolina did with their “split squad“ approach to the much hyped dual with us turned a LOT of people off and certainly didn’t benefit anyone other than the wrestlers who took the day off rather than actually compete. This is a great sport that truly needs a reevaluation of how the entire season is contested.

It is reality that the dual season is all about seeding in March and nothing more that is tangible other than cheering on your team. That fact leads to ducking and other manipulations to influence seeding that cheapen the duals and turn fans off big time. The damage that North Carolina did with their “split squad“ approach to the much hyped dual with us turned a LOT of people off and certainly didn’t benefit anyone other than the wrestlers who took the day off rather than actually compete. This is a great sport that truly needs a reevaluation of how the entire season is contested.
Agreed entirely. I think each school should be able to qualify a weight class and should have to use combined dual record from everyone at that weight. If UNC wants their starters to wrestle 10 matches a year, then so be it, but if their backups lose matches then it hurts their seed. That is the only way I can think of that will force teams to rely on their starters.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Kind of like the NBA with load management. There may truly be some injury prevention benefit. but it comes at a cost of turning off fans to the regular season and eventually will impact the growth of the sport.

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT