ADVERTISEMENT

Football ***Spring Game Format/Scoring***

ChrisNalwasky

All American
Staff
Mar 25, 2018
Just received the format regarding the spring game and how scoring will work. There will be two teams -- Offense vs. Defense -- and there will be live tackling.

SCARLET-WHITE GAME FORMAT:
The final spring practice session and annual Scarlet-White game will be a scripted scrimmage in four quarters of action with live tackling. The roster has been divided offense vs. defense, with the offense wearing Scarlet jerseys, while the defense will wear White jerseys.

The first quarter will feature red zone offensive and defensive situations. In the second and third quarters, the teams will play a more traditional game with the ball being spotted at various yard markers and the offense attempting to move the ball against the defense. Prior to the start of the second quarter, there will be a field goal kicking competition with one kicker attempting kicks from varying distances for each side.

The fourth quarter will consist of third-down situations and the two-minute drill.

SCORING:
Rutgers football will employ a unique scoring system to its Scarlet-White game. Below is a breakdown of how each team can accumulate points during the scrimmage.

There will be other scenarios throughout the spring game where both the offense and defense can earn additional points, including during the field goal kicking competition to start the second quarter.

Offense earns points:
Touchdown 6 Points
Explosive Play 2 Points (run 10+ yards or pass 15+ yards)
FG - 3 points
PAT - 1 point
Two Point Conversion - 2 points
1st Down - 1 Point

Defense earns points:
Defensive Stop 2 points (zero points scored)
3 and Out - 3 points
Sack - 3 points
TFL - 2 points
Takeaway - 6 points
TD - 10 points

Purdue's spring game was just like this over this past weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RURM85
Ash was on FAN in the 3pm hour. Carlin promo'd his broadcast with Eric LeGrand and Maggie and Bart chatted up the coaching piece.

Yea that should be real easy to keep track of.:rolleyes: 1st time I see 2 pts. put up on the board I'll be screaming to my friends, "How the hell do you give up a safety starting from the 50?" Seriously are they going to be giving out programs with score cards. Because Charlie Brown's teacher over the loud speaker isn't going to be much help in the scoring department.

Reactions: PaRU102
Yea that should be real easy to keep track of.:rolleyes: 1st time I see 2 pts. put up on the board I'll be screaming to my friends, "How the hell do you give up a safety starting from the 50?" Seriously are they going to be giving out programs with score cards. Because Charlie Brown's teacher over the loud speaker isn't going to be much help in the scoring department.

Does the scoring really matter?

To some yes to you apparently not. I bet on this crap with my friends as we always attend the spring game. Last year we had to halt all gambling action do to the 2 hand touch format.(We Left) Scoring makes the game more interesting and fun. Sure the 1st quarters great to see the guys but I don't know how anybody could sit through this entire bored fest otherwise.

I actually like the new scoring format more opportunities to gamble. We're not talking hundreds of dollars here, just enough to put a little passion into the game. If you hear a guy screaming "Ah bullsh*t that was a 10 yd. run not 9 ref" That'll be one of my guys.

Last edited:
To some yes to you apparently not. I bet on this crap with my friends as we always attend the spring game. Last year we had to halt all gambling action do to the 2 hand touch format.(We Left) Scoring makes the game more interesting and fun. Sure the 1st quarters great to see the guys but I don't know how anybody could sit through this entire bored fest otherwise.

I actually like the new scoring format more opportunities to gamble. We're not talking hundreds of dollars here, just enough to put a little passion into the game. If you here a guy screaming "Ah bullsh*t that was a 10 yd. run not 9 ref" That'll be one of my guys.
Scoring matters when you care who wins. Unless you really really like Scarlet, I don’t think it makes a difference.

Or if you’re gambling.

yes. Without scoring it ]s just a scrimmage. The Fans want to see a game not a scrimmage. The players too.
Umm hate to break the news to you but it is a scrimmage. Always has been no matter how it's scored. It is/has been just a glorified practice. Always.

Reactions: Upstream
Going because it will be 75 degrees and sunny, and to take my soon to be 2 yr. old to the Stadium for live football. Will stay for a half and leave at halftime.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Going because it will be 75 degrees and sunny, and to take my soon to be 2 yr. old to the Stadium for live football. Will stay for a half and leave at halftime.
This is the best part of the Spring Game. It the best chance to take a kid for the first time.

Watched the Purdue game with similar format and same scoring. Somewhere in the middle they stopped live tackling as they were short on bodies in some positions (only played with 2 RBs) and didn't want to take further risk. Although they kept on tackling 1 of the early enrollees. Even in this Spring Practice game, Brohm got creative with multiple hooks and ladders, as well as, a nifty double reverse.
Purdue has a QB room of 9 players. They primarily played Sipe and Plummer in the 1st half (Blough got some reps to start the game) and emptied the QB room in the 4th quarter.

If you are willing to gamble on this kind of "game" you may really have a problem.

Reactions: RURM85
Also, remember Maggie and Bart are bringing their own playbooks too. Number one priority is to stay healthy.

With the way the scoring is set up, I see it as a challenge. It will also be 1s vs. 1s

Note to Defense: Let the offense do whatever it wants. You need to give confidence to this offense.
Save your best for the summer. Right now it is all about the offense. Let them light up the score board.

I actually like the new scoring format more opportunities to gamble. We're not talking hundreds of dollars here, just enough to put a little passion into the game. If you hear a guy screaming "Ah bullsh*t that was a 10 yd. run not 9 ref" That'll be one of my guys.
If you are a gambling (for fun of course) fan, this scoring system is awesome. My buddies and I would have a blast with over/unders per quarter and game as well as “first to 15” and other creative ways to bet.

Reactions: koleszar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT