ADVERTISEMENT

Starting Five on Thursday?

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
With Coach Hobbs saying Mathis will start on Thursday, it would appear our starting 5 will likely be:
1-Young
2-Mathis
3-Baker
4-Harper
5-Johnson

That would would leave us with the following “second 5” off the bench:

1-Mulcahy
2-Kiss
3-McConnell
4-Yeboah
5-Carter

And last backup off the bench: Doucoure

Does that seem about right? What am I missing?

He said the starters will depend on the opponent so you might see different combinations
Yes, and when you look at that second five that’s a pretty decent bench. The combinations seem limitless. And arguably the 11th man is someone who started for us two years ago. Amazing.

With Coach Hobbs saying Mathis will start on Thursday, it would appear our starting 5 will likely be:
1-Young
2-Mathis
3-Baker
4-Harper
5-Johnson

1-Mulcahy
2-Kiss
3-McConnell
4-Yeboah
5-Carter

Nitpicking but I'd say Baker 2 Mathis 3... Here is some positive Mathis news for you FIG. He's a starter so give us a few more wins! Lol

1-Young
2-Mathis
3-Baker
4-Harper
5-Johnson

1-Mulcahy
2-Kiss
3-McConnell
4-Yeboah
5-Carter

From what I took from what coach Hobbs said last night, I think that Young will come off the bench. Yeboah will probably start with Geo still playing the point. Of course it matters who finishes(at least in close games), rather than who starts

Best of Luck,
Groz

Less important to me is who starts the game but who starts the second half. Often times single digit leads at halftime are overcome by opposing teams in the second half at some point, so I want us to start off hot coming back out. Last 5 mins before halftime and first 5 after are where games can be broken open (or gone away and lost, if you’re the other side)

Reactions: BillyC80
From what I took from what coach Hobbs said last night, I think that Young will come off the bench. Yeboah will probably start with Geo still playing the point.
Best of Luck,
Groz
Thanks for the insight Groz!
That would put Mathis at the 2 and Harper at the 3, I assume.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Well if mathis is starting my guess is we go small at Young-Geo-Mathis-Harper-Johnson.

however our best 5 man lineup imo is Young-Geo-Caleb-Ron-Myles

Reactions: Scangg
Well if mathis is starting my guess is we go small at Young-Geo-Mathis-Harper-Johnson.

however our best 5 man lineup imo is Young-Geo-Caleb-Ron-Myles
But Caleb better suited coming off the bench than Mathis.

Nebraska looks dreadful. Between them and NW feels like 3 easy wins. May have to amend my prediction a game or two by Thursday.

Who do people predict will finish in bottom 4 of conference?

(And how many games do we play against them?)

I don't get it. How do you not start your best shooter statistically, best free throw shooter, he's 6'7 guard, IQ, can pass, good defender? Caleb is everything you would want in a bball player. Swiss Knife. I'll be very surprise if he does not start. Just thinking from a coaches stand point. He's Pikes type of bball player.
GB
MM
CM
RH
MJ
Best five. All bring a whole lot to the table. This line up makes the most sense. Makes sense to get your young guys ready. Their your future.

I think Yeboah starts over Jacob. Just my opinion.

B1G 10 is quite down this year.
I don't think the B1G is down this year. Sometimes the name on the front of the jersey is overvalued while the usual bottom-dwellers are up this year, but still undervalued. Some people who are paying attention have teams like Illinois, Penn St., and Rutgers, at least in the middle of the pack. The usual media idiots who don't pay close attention automatically played Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota in the middle of the pack without and valid reasons to back it up.

I do not mean to be that guy but does it really matter who "starts"? We know by now Pike will play a deep rotation & those who he feel presents a better match-up or are executing well as a 5 out there will get more time. A guy coming off the bench could easily still play 20+ min which is what some "starters" might play. I just am excited about the depth, the possibilities of lineup & positionless bball.

Looking forward to opening night at the RAC tomorrow!!

Reactions: BillyC80
I do not mean to be that guy but does it really matter who "starts"? We know by now Pike will play a deep rotation & those who he feel presents a better match-up or are executing well as a 5 out there will get more time. A guy coming off the bench could easily still play 20+ min which is what some "starters" might play. I just am excited about the depth, the possibilities of lineup & positionless bball.

Looking forward to opening night at the RAC tomorrow!!
I agree it doesn’t matter (except to the players) but I am I interested in which five players Pike chooses to play together, not just starters but throughout the game. The possible combinations are fascinating this year.

I agree it doesn’t matter (except to the players) but I am I interested in which five players Pike chooses to play together, not just starters but throughout the game. The possible combinations are fascinating this year.

I wonder how much it really means to the players. I get it that a starting spot is motivation and there's to lose so to speak but seems like this group it might not be as important who starts and rather the success. Speaks to the character of the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT