ADVERTISEMENT

Statement from Director of Athletics Pat Hobbs / December 1, 2019; 11:15 A.M.

I will give him credit, he managed to piss everyone off, not an easy feat around here. He certainly got the pro Schiano fans angry, and he also ended up getting the pro coaching search fans just as angry. I don't know how he can stay on, he has been professionally humiliated and it appears that he might have damaged his relationships with some of the big donors, which we have been told over and over again is his forte, connections and fundraising. My guess is that he resigns within the next few months for greener pastures elsewhere.

Reactions: lighty
Sort of awkward
giphy.gif

Reactions: King of S
Statement seems stilted, with a sense of obligation.

Compared to governor Murphy’s comments—

Night and day.

Reactions: rutino
I don't care for Carino as a writer, but he has it right here:
https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...s-football-greg-schiano-pat-hobbs/4345908002/
"Rutgers football: Can Greg Schiano and Pat Hobbs coexist? It's worth a shot

It's time to put the pitchforks away, because this awkward marriage has potential rewards -- for everyone."

"Of course, it wasn’t all Hobbs’ fault that negotiations with Schiano were so painful. Greg Brown, his board of governors and President Bob Barchi were equal partners in the initial breakdown, and Schiano and his agent played hardball, too. But Hobbs bore the brunt of criticism because he’d botched the hiring and contract extension of failed football coach Chris Ash (assist to Brown, who recommended Ash for an interview) and committed the sin of being a basketball guy at a football-first school."

Reactions: mildone
I don't care for Carino as a writer, but he has it right here:
https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...s-football-greg-schiano-pat-hobbs/4345908002/
"Rutgers football: Can Greg Schiano and Pat Hobbs coexist? It's worth a shot

It's time to put the pitchforks away, because this awkward marriage has potential rewards -- for everyone."

"Of course, it wasn’t all Hobbs’ fault that negotiations with Schiano were so painful. Greg Brown, his board of governors and President Bob Barchi were equal partners in the initial breakdown, and Schiano and his agent played hardball, too. But Hobbs bore the brunt of criticism because he’d botched the hiring and contract extension of failed football coach Chris Ash (assist to Brown, who recommended Ash for an interview) and committed the sin of being a basketball guy at a football-first school."

Carino was the same writer who tried to create hysteria saying Schiano getting hired would cause concern for Pikiell

Look if Schiano decides he can work with an AD that smeared him then fine Hobbs can stay. Its up to Greg but long term Hobbs isnt our answer

Reactions: buffalochicken21
Awkward.

Yeah just smeared the guy for a month and didn't return his counter to the BOG and didn't even have him on my list but a fan and donor and political revolt forced my hand...

No one believes it.

Why doesn't he go work for Christie's law firm. The guy is over his head here.

Reactions: buffalochicken21
Exactly nothing wrong with this statement, nothing is done until BOG meets.

When does the BOG meet? Don't tell me there's a chance this won't get done. A nightmare situation would be where Sweeney influences the BOG and gets them to vote against it because you know, that would be too much money for North Jersey to get.

Very underwhelming statement in my opinion....
How would you feel if you were pressured into Hiring a guy you didn’t want, for too much money and you were the only bidder. Just bad business and he knows it. Unfortunately Greg will cost a third AD his job.

Sh law alums still defending him here no matter issue. Will be interesting to see if the support there for next AD if that's what occurs.

Pat's fate will hinge on how much his relationship with donors has been damaged, and if that damage can be repaired. He may survive just because Barchi has one foot out the door already and may want to leave those decisions to his successor. We all know how Clueless Bob feels about athletics to begin with.

Good luck to all involved, but what’s awkward is a statement preceding BOG.

Well it's definitely not Vince Lombardi inspiring. I guess the idea behind it, was say something nice and acknowledge that this is actually happening, Pat.

Does anyone know if the press conference will be Tuesday or they can’t schedule that until later in week?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT