ADVERTISEMENT

Football STC Adam Scheier not being retained

Bumping the bump given the lack of banter on this.

I understand we've lost our prior identity of frequent blocked kicks. But other than that I thought our ST were adequate, especially in light of our other phases of the game.

Bumping the bump given the lack of banter on this.

I understand we've lost our prior identity of frequent blocked kicks. But other than that I thought our ST were adequate, especially in light of our other phases of the game.
That's just it...with past GS teams...we've been spoiled with expectations of blocks on ST or turnovers on returns.

That's just it...with past GS teams...we've been spoiled with expectations of blocks on ST or turnovers on returns.
I guess I hadn’t thought of that. In terms of kick coverage on punts and kickoffs we’ve been great, but no blocked kicks this year that I can remember.

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
Yeah, I don’t have anything against the guy. ST was solid. Would like to see more aggression though like in years past.

Reactions: rufeelinit
Korsak is unbelievable. We’re spoiled. Beyond that our specials were very average. No issue with a change

NJ.com (Kratch I think) just posted an article which suggests Scheier may hang around in a non coaching capacity. He went on to say that Schiano may be changing his coaching philosophy about having a designated special teams coach.

NJ.com (Kratch I think) just posted an article which suggests Scheier may hang around in a non coaching capacity. He went on to say that Schiano may be changing his coaching philosophy about having a designated special teams coach.
No special teams coach? I understand programs are moving toward having to have a general manager, but I can't imagine not having a ST coach, even with the best punter in college football. Does this mean Schiano is going to emulate the Presbyterian coach?

No special teams coach? I understand programs are moving toward having to have a general manager, but I can't imagine not having a ST coach, even with the best punter in college football. Does this mean Schiano is going to emulate the Presbyterian coach?
I think it is more like there would be ST/TE coach.

Reactions: RutgersRockies
They will probably move towards the old way of coaching special teams. When the NCAA allowed a 10th assistant coach, some teams hired another position coach while others hired special teams guy. I thinking Schiano wanted to the the position coach and then coach special teams like they did when you were allowed only 9 coaches with everyone sharing responsibilities.

If Schiers is not being replaced it can be assumed that someone on the staff already will take on extra resposibilty. Does this mean the money saved on this position coach can be added towards our new DC ?

If Schiers is not being replaced it can be assumed that someone on the staff already will take on extra resposibilty. Does this mean the money saved on this position coach can be added towards our new DC ?
I think he will be replaced but the new hire may not be assigned to coach special teams or just special teams..

That was my thinking also …Greg to handle and oversee Specials . We will see soon enough and if we are going outside of RU I would hope it is someone with some proven cred .

That was my thinking also …Greg to handle and oversee Specials . We will see soon enough and if we are going outside of RU I would hope it is someone with some proven cred .
Scheier did a great job as STC. Other areas should be addressed. The offense looked like Pop Warner.

For all anyone knows Schier may have been told there is no extra money this season and here’s a chance to look elsewhere for more. We were ok on specials but nothing like we all want to see going forward. Blocks were down, fumbles and interceptions average. Greg’s problem is getting team speed up to we are on par with the top 5-6 teams in conference. With speed comes better STP.

Scheier did a great job as STC. Other areas should be addressed. The offense looked like Pop Warner.
I'm not being dismissive but what about the specials this past year were so great, but for Korsak who is simply brilliant? Despite having top notch kickoff return men we did almost nothing on returns all year. And, while perhaps I'm missing one, I can't recall a single kick block all year.

I'm not being dismissive but what about the specials this past year were so great, but for Korsak who is simply brilliant? Despite having top notch kickoff return men we did almost nothing on returns all year. And, while perhaps I'm missing one, I can't recall a single kick block all year.
I think Max Melton blocked one against SU...but, I'm with you nothing else as I recall

rutgers-scarlet-knights-defensive-back-max-melton-blocks-the-punt-of-picture-id1235199581

Weren’t a ton of long run backs on punts or kickoffs either, IIRC. Or a ton of penalties on kicks. And don’t think any of our punts or kicks were blocked all season.

Also, come to think of it, I don’t recall seeing many blocked punts/FGs in other games besides ours, or seeing them in highlight footage. I wonder if teams have stopped trying due to a low success to penalty ratio, or something like that.

So let’s hope his doesn’t become a case of not knowing what we have until we no longer have it.

Weren’t a ton of long run backs on punts or kickoffs either, IIRC. Or a ton of penalties on kicks. And don’t think any of our punts or kicks were blocked all season.

Also, come to think of it, I don’t recall seeing many blocked punts/FGs in other games besides ours, or seeing them in highlight footage. I wonder if teams have stopped trying due to a low success to penalty ratio, or something like that.

So let’s hope his doesn’t become a case of not knowing what we have until we no longer have it.
We had at least 1 extra point blocked. That was the one Felter never moved out of his stance allowing defensive player direct to block kick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT