ADVERTISEMENT

Stop the Bleeding

By the way, Mulkey's salary actually is public, as she is one of the highest-paid employees at Baylor and has to be listed on its non-profit tax return (which is a public document). The local Waco paper reported that she made $1,085,380 in 2011, and the most recent tax return, for 2013, shows her making $1,945,480, of which $1,587324 was base compensation. Even so, she's paid less than both the men's basketball coach (about $2.6 million) and the football coach (about $4.2 million).

Regarding the first part of your post - I doubt it is free of financial constraints. However, when the NCAA gets around to designating such things, WBB is the premier women's sport. Others are certainly increasing in visibility and I would say popularity, but WBB drives the bus on the women's side. Coaches salaries are high. Here are some 2015 Big !2 salaries - (Mulkey's isn't public) -
- Coale, Oklahoma, 1.1 million plus up to $300K bonus
- Fennely, Iowa State, $625,000 plus up to $300K bonus
- Carey, WV, $525,000 plus up to $245K bonus
- Mittie, K State (hired from TCU) at $515,000 with $195 potential bonus
- going down to Jim Littell at OK State whose base is $350,000.

Compare those salaries to other sports. Also, remember WBB players get full ride scholarships per the NCAA, in other women's sports a certain number of scholarships are divided between the various team members.

To your 2nd point about the WNIT, I agree from an RU point of view. From many programs, it would be the only sniff of a postseason in years. Its all perspective,

2nd point...Not when you're a member of the old Big East or B1G should you EVER think the WNIT or NIT is a worthy prize. Of course that's just my opinion and like they say "Opinions are like ..... Everyone has one."

Considering the terms of her contract now, Hobbs can replace CVS and I think at her age an extension won't be asked for by her.
But Hobbs might want her to stay ( her last two years of contract) to reach that mark for PR purpose.
Doubt it will take over two years so I feel your dislike is showing in your question.

I don't "dislike" CVS at all so please don't make assumptions as such. I also believe she's (obviously) one of the best things to ever happen to Rutgers Athletics, HOWEVER, times change and the game has (obviously) passed her by, which most here would agree with, I'm sure. My comment is a "what if" and, quite honestly, winning 29 games the next 2 seasons, I'm sorry, but it isn't a "given" IMHO.

Recruiting has dropped off, quite a bit I believe, programs all over have surpassed us, and how are we looking for next year after a 2nd round NIT - NIT NOT NCAA - bow out? I know people hate when I speak realistically, truthfully, but it's better than wishing, hoping, and praying, that things are going to do a 180 these last 2 years.

Hey, I'm not saying I'm going to be upset if Hobbs let's her ride it out, however, unless there IS a "180," IMHO, she should go out gracefully before things get worse.

I think Hobbs needs a rest. I wonder how many AD have replaced their two top mens revenue sport coaches and potentially the top womens revenue program in their first six months on the job? The only way CVS goes this year is if she decides to retire. I don't think she the final two years of her contract unless they are much better than I expect them (sub 500) to be next year. Only way she gets the wins necessary to reach 1000 in two years with the current roster is to start scheduling nothing but cream puffs OOC. She has diluted the OOC some already but would need to really load up on the likes of Maine and FDU.

[QUOTE="rufeelinit, post: 1753737, member: 4142" Only way she gets the wins necessary to reach 1000 in two years with the current roster is to start scheduling nothing but cream puffs OOC. She has diluted the OOC some already but would need to really load up on the likes of Maine and FDU.[/QUOTE]

Rutgers Strength of Schedule this season was 8th, does not look like it was very diluted!!!

[QUOTE="rufeelinit, post: 1753737, member: 4142" Only way she gets the wins necessary to reach 1000 in two years with the current roster is to start scheduling nothing but cream puffs OOC. She has diluted the OOC some already but would need to really load up on the likes of Maine and FDU.

Rutgers Strength of Schedule this season was 8th, does not look like it was very diluted!!![/QUOTE]

And the OOC SOS was 18, so it wasn't just the B1G schedule, either.

I would still very much like to know the circumstances of all three assistants leaving before this season. Very odd the way that went down with little explanation. These three seemed clueless all year and just added to the season's underachievement.
I don't know the reasons, but I agree that the wholesale replacement of the staff was a negative - even more so when Stringer missed time with the team to be with her ailing mother. The previous, more-experienced staff might have been more able to weather that storm, since the team would have had better continuity in practice, etc. I believe that this situation could have cost us 3-5 wins this season.

Reactions: Bon1674
My bad I guess on the sos comment. I thought we toned down our ooc strategy a few years ago based on the increased strength of the conference we were in. If we played the 8th toughest then clearly I was off base. The broader point about the outlook for the coming years is just my view and still a big concern to me.

My bad I guess on the sos comment. I thought we toned down our ooc strategy a few years ago based on the increased strength of the conference we were in. If we played the 8th toughest then clearly I was off base. The broader point about the outlook for the coming years is just my view and still a big concern to me.
Every RU WBB fan should be worried about the future, with Vivian coming back or a new HC coming in to replace her.
Times have changed when recruits were interested in being Scarlet Knights and the fight to gety them will be even harder until Facilities are upgraded.

If CVS comes back we can only hope her and her staff along with the players get in sync with each other , leadership on the team develops where one of the players takes charge when needed and Vivian's magic of old reappears so RU makes the Dance and all the RU WBB fans are happy ( but will still make sure to look for things to complain about :D) .

Though I doubt Stringer will be replaced, the new coach's challenges hopefully won't be insurmountable because she/he is totally qualified to run the RU WBB program , even with the obstacles it faces.
That means an on the cheap hire will not be done like RU has tended to do under past ADs.
Rutgers needs to spend the money it will take to bring in someone who can recruit because of
his/her name and sell the program to the talent he/she is going after.
That type of coaching talent is out there, but will they come knowing the RU job has a lot of drawbacks now, but could be gold in the future.

Last edited:
Yes Stringer has been a great WBB coach, and will be in the HOF. However all coaches, even the great ones, run out of steam at some point. This program is in decline and needs a change. In my opinion the recruiting classes are getting worse, and obviously our record is following. We are no longer competitive against the top 25 teams. Maybe the game has changed, maybe its an energy thing, I honestly don't know. However its clear that its time to gracefully move on. Time to try a new coach with a near energy, and see if we can stop the slide at our NIT bid status.

By the way, Mulkey's salary actually is public, as she is one of the highest-paid employees at Baylor and has to be listed on its non-profit tax return (which is a public document). The local Waco paper reported that she made $1,085,380 in 2011, and the most recent tax return, for 2013, shows her making $1,945,480, of which $1,587324 was base compensation. Even so, she's paid less than both the men's basketball coach (about $2.6 million) and the football coach (about $4.2 million).
But,but....BeK, Mulkey needs that 2million for her wardrobe, and makeup.

Also posted in the Football board thread.

Anyone who watched Pikiell's introduction today and thinks there is even a remote chance that CVS is fired is delusional.

Generally I'm against a coach in waiting approach and stated that on a different thread. However in retrospect this may be the way to go. Hire a coach in waiting. It accomplishes a number of things. It puts an end date to Stringers career (at least at RU), allows her to shoot for 1000 wins, we can celebrate her successes, and provides recruits with continuity. It most cases I don't believe in coach in waiting but our situation mirrors what FSU went through transitioning from a HOF football coach.

Reactions: mighty_knights
Riz, you and I have totally different perceptions of Brooklyn Pope. She went to Baylor, sat out a year and didn't have any significant playing time until her last year, when she was quite clearly about the 5th option on the team. Put differently, her career-high points, rebounds and blocks were against Farmingdale when she was a frosh.

On attendance, here are the per-game averages currently available at SK.com

2005-6: 4,609
2006-7: 3,654
2007-8: 4,740
2008-9: 3,340
2009-10: 3,194
2010-11: 3,039

So there's pretty clearly a correlation between results and attendance, and it's not like RU was scoring tons of points at any point in that span. I'd certainly agree that there was higher attendance during high-profile games (as always), but one factor was that RU was winning some of those games. (And, yes, 48-42 was RU v. UConn - probably my favorite RU game ever because RU actually trailed by something like 15 points in the 1st half.)
Beknighted.

1. You constructively criticize my attendance correlation, but you stop at 2010. So how is the info you gave relevant.
2 You obviously did not check out Brooklyn Pope's stats at Baylor. I ran into another poster a couple of years back that mimicked what you said about her. The only explanation for your and the previous poster's factual analysis of BP's career at Baylor must have been based on sour grapes.

You said she was basically insignificant her Soph and Junior years. And was clearly about the 5th option her Senior year. hmmmmm.

Baylor Season Stats:

Soph year 5th in scoring 3rd in rebounds

Junior the same as Soph year

Senior 3rd in scoring 3rd in rebounds 2nd in blocks

And she competed w Destiny Williams (remember her) at the same position for all 3 years.

Beknighted.

1. You constructively criticize my attendance correlation, but you stop at 2010. So how is the info you gave relevant.
2 You obviously did not check out Brooklyn Pope's stats at Baylor. I ran into another poster a couple of years back that mimicked what you said about her. The only explanation for your and the previous poster's factual analysis of BP's career at Baylor must have been based on sour grapes.

You said she was basically insignificant her Soph and Junior years. And was clearly about the 5th option her Senior year. hmmmmm.

Baylor Season Stats:

Soph year 5th in scoring 3rd in rebounds

Junior the same as Soph year

Senior 3rd in scoring 3rd in rebounds 2nd in blocks

And she competed w Destiny Williams (remember her) at the same position for all 3 years.

Actually, I stopped with 2011, but, yes, it's obviously relevant to the point. If you remember the team's results during the time period, I think it's pretty obvious that attendance correlated strongly with wins and losses. The style the team played didn't change much, if at all, during that time.

I watched plenty of Baylor games (whether or not I wanted to) during the time Brooklyn was there. She was never close to the first or second option, and she got a lot of her stats after games were won. If you want a stat that tells you how important she was to the team, it's that she never finished higher than 6th in minutes while she was at Baylor and never averaged more than 20 minutes per game. (Destiny Williams always had more mpg than Brooklyn during the time they both were on the roster.) It actually is quite telling that her best performance (and this was taken from *Baylor's* bio of her) came in a game versus a D-III team her freshman year. As for my personal feelings, it was obvious pretty early that she was a bad fit at RU, and I didn't feel that it was bad for her to leave. I probably would have preferred a destination other than Baylor, but that didn't affect my hope that she would find somewhere she'd be happy, and apparently she did.

Actually, I stopped with 2011, but, yes, it's obviously relevant to the point. If you remember the team's results during the time period, I think it's pretty obvious that attendance correlated strongly with wins and losses. The style the team played didn't change much, if at all, during that time.

I watched plenty of Baylor games (whether or not I wanted to) during the time Brooklyn was there. She was never close to the first or second option, and she got a lot of her stats after games were won. If you want a stat that tells you how important she was to the team, it's that she never finished higher than 6th in minutes while she was at Baylor and never averaged more than 20 minutes per game. (Destiny Williams always had more mpg than Brooklyn during the time they both were on the roster.) It actually is quite telling that her best performance (and this was taken from *Baylor's* bio of her) came in a game versus a D-III team her freshman year. As for my personal feelings, it was obvious pretty early that she was a bad fit at RU, and I didn't feel that it was bad for her to leave. I probably would have preferred a destination other than Baylor, but that didn't affect my hope that she would find somewhere she'd be happy, and apparently she did.
So you went from her being irrelevant her first 2 years and being the 5th option her Senior year to NOW her never being close to the first or second option.

In a court of law...GAME OVER.

The only stat you come back w to counter my stats is minutes played.!

Again GAME over

So you went from her being irrelevant her first 2 years and being the 5th option her Senior year to NOW her never being close to the first or second option.

Again GAME over

You're right, the only stat I came back with was the one that shows she was at best the 6th most important player on the team. And if you look at the yearly stats, you'll notice that even in her last year she was nowhere near getting as many minutes as the top 4 players, all of whom averaged more than 25 mpg, while she was getting 18.8. (And, of course, when I say she "never came close" to being the 1st or 2nd option, that does not mean that that I think she was the 3rd option.)

Reactions: TRU2RU

Again GAME over
Obviously, you never watched her play at Baylor.

She was an extremely useful role player for them, and Kim Mulkey is nothing if not excellent at getting the max out of her players. In fact, I'll even accept that she was a serviceable 6th woman option.

But she was never a star and never moved on to post collegiate WBB success.

She never wanted to be at RU and didn't fit in. That's the truth. Really a recruiting error.

Reactions: dmd78
Obviously, you never watched her play at Baylor.

She was an extremely useful role player for them, and Kim Mulkey is nothing if not excellent at getting the max out of her players. In fact, I'll even accept that she was a serviceable 6th woman option.

But she was never a star and never moved on to post collegiate WBB success.

She never wanted to be at RU and didn't fit in. That's the truth. Really a recruiting error.
WHY DO YOU KEEP IGNORING THE STATS. Now you change your tune of her being basically a non factor, until being a 5th option her last year, to her being EXTREMELY USFULL ROLE PLAYER

And we have only been talking about her time at Baylor. WHY talk about her time at RU. I get it...to bolster your extremely weak hand.

WHY are you ignoring the STATS. LETS go one on one w the STATS and what u originally posted in reference to her role at Baylor.

I respect your posts, But do you have a problem admitting you are wrong.

"Role player" is the equivalent of, oh, Courtney Locke or Ra Junaid. Before she was hurt, Cynthia Hernandez was a role player for RU this year. 18.8 mpg is a role player, not a key player, and that's why I keep mentioning it. (And, to be frank, ppg and rpg aren't that useful on a team that was as dominant as Baylor, since the starters tend to sit once the game is decided.)

And, to be fair, I was the one who said she was a 5th option, not KTF, although I'm not sure KTF would disagree with me.

(There is a thread on this very board about how hard it was to buy tickets for today, which presumably isn't the coach's problem to solve.)

QUOTE]
It was easy enough to park my car, walk to the ticket window, purchase a ticket and enter the RAC. Just saying, buying tickets was not difficult.

I'm looking forward to only 1 game. Her 1000th win. Nothing else. I guess the person meant more than the program. Hard to believe this decision. The best interest for Rutgers comes first. ANY individual--coach or player--comes second.

I think this actually is a good decision for the program, unless people thought a blockbuster hire was on the horizon. Absent the facilities upgrades, anybody but a Dawn Staley type would have a hard time recruiting as a new coach here (and Staley ain't coming to RU). Keeping CVS in place for another year or two buys time for the facilities upgrades to get going, which will help in attracting a new coach.

I think this actually is a good decision for the program, unless people thought a blockbuster hire was on the horizon. Absent the facilities upgrades, anybody but a Dawn Staley type would have a hard time recruiting as a new coach here (and Staley ain't coming to RU). Keeping CVS in place for another year or two buys time for the facilities upgrades to get going, which will help in attracting a new coach.
I think this makes a lot of sense. Hobbs will need to move fast on the facilities plans to convince the new coach that it's not all smoke and mirrors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT