ADVERTISEMENT

Football STORY - Six missing from Camp

A mixed bag. A big impact? In some areas yes, in others, no. According to the article:

Dixon was slated for a potential starting role at the strongside linebacker spot (definite impact)

Simmons, Jones, and Lopez all sat out on the sidelines last season (minor impact)

Onyechi was set to battle Elorm Lumor for the starting hybrid defensive end/linebacker position. He played in all 12 games -- mostly on special teams. (definite impact)

Marfo played in one game which was against Morgan State and assisted on a tackle. (minor impact)

There is a definite impact on the depth chart. But, IMO more significantly, there is a time impact. By that I meat these guys were almost all reshirt players on whom a years worth of development will now be lost. In addition, their roles will now have to be filled by players who might have been redshifted this year. That time investment in their development is lost as they may be forced into playing earlier than planned. wether or not the impact shows up on the field is completely dependent on the performance by their replacements. Ash's recruiting will be tested here. Is there talent to relace them, if so, then his critics are somewhat silenced. If not, then.....

Reactions: Bagarocks
It is disappointing that this occurred but a big black cloud is a bit of an overstatement IMO. These guys screwed up, but this program is not covering it up. They are not lying about it. It is being investigated by the school and, I assume, by the legal authorities. The two for whom the level of culpability was known were handled immediately. The others are being dealt with according to accepted protocols. It is a blemish for sure. A disappointment. But a big black cloud is what is happening at OSU with UM.

It is disappointing that this occurred but a big black cloud is a bit of an overstatement IMO. These guys screwed up, but this program is not covering it up. They are not lying about it. It is being investigated by the school and, I assume, by the legal authorities. The two for whom the level of culpability was known were handled immediately. The others are being dealt with according to accepted protocols. It is a blemish for sure. A disappointment. But a big black cloud is what is happening at OSU with UM.

Do you mean MSU? Im not aware of any scandal involving Michigan.

Big black cloud ==== bad Karma, bad vibes, bad choices bad decisions...
which includes many years of poor choices, AD's coaches...ect ect ect...

Reactions: MidwestKnights
I think the majority of them will be back after serving a 3 game suspension

Did you see something about a 3-game suspension or is that your speculation? The report just says they're not going to be in camp, but didn't say for how long or whether they'd be gone longer than that (or dismissed). This is certainly not good, especially if these guys are suspended for awhile or dismissed.

Hurts D a lot.
The Gray dismissal and now possibly Dixon and Oneychi .
Bad for D. Real bad.

Reactions: thegock
So if there were more dismissals on top of the previous 2, do we get those scholarships back to put towards recruiting this year?

So if there were more dismissals on top of the previous 2, do we get those scholarships back to put towards recruiting this year?

The 25/85 Rule applies. I do not know what our total would be for next year had this not happened. You are allowed no more than 25 in any one class and the total ships in the program can not exceed 85. It is possible next years class would have had less than 25 but with these departures (assuming the will be more than the two already announced) it is more likely that it will be a full 25. I am not stating as if i know the actual numbers, i am just assuming that we will have a full 25 because these guys would be subtracted from the 85 total. It is also possible that if several ships open up due to departures that Ash may award ships to some deserving walk ons.

Reactions: Life4Fitness428
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT