ADVERTISEMENT

Stringer explodes on need to upgrade facilities...

Originally posted by RUaMoose:
I've said it for years (as has others). Build a brand spanking new 10-12k arena in New Brunswick walking distance from the train. Use it for RU sports, shows, concerts and maybe attract a minor league hockey team. NB is half way between the PruCenter and the arena in Trenton on the NEC line. An arena in NB would be a perfect CNJ location. Then turn the RAC into the practice facility everyone seems to deem so important
This idea has been out there for years, but then was subsequently shelved, because I believe it was too expensive. in fact Ferren Deck Mall was supposed to be the location. Would be great if it can be implemented.

Mr Potatoe Head - Colleges do not have sports to make money other than for football and a few bball schools. Argument that women's bball doesn't make money doesn't hold water. Neither does baseball, tennis, etc.

Secondly, I was watching the ncaa wrestling championships yesterday where OSU is leading. Statement by OSU AD says it all about the difference between them and RU. He said they don't go into a sport unless they provide the resources to compete for national championships. Would love that to be RU's approach athletically and to be world class academically.

Lastly, the quality of the student gaining admission can be enhanced by winning sports programs. My daughter is interested in Florida State. We met with admissions and they told us acceptance criteria is going up significantly this year. When we asked why, they said it was due to football team winning national championship and being in the playoff this year. Applications are up double digit % so more competition for the slots. Now, are the students picking it for football? Probably not. The success of the team makes more people aware of the school leading them to check out the academics and subsequently applying. Investing in sports is a way of investing in the school brand and getting that message out.

Originally posted by rubaseball78:
Mr Potatoe Head - Colleges do not have sports to make money other than for football and a few bball schools. Argument that women's bball doesn't make money doesn't hold water. Neither does baseball, tennis, etc.

Secondly, I was watching the ncaa wrestling championships yesterday where OSU is leading. Statement by OSU AD says it all about the difference between them and RU. He said they don't go into a sport unless they provide the resources to compete for national championships. Would love that to be RU's approach athletically and to be world class academically.

Lastly, the quality of the student gaining admission can be enhanced by winning sports programs.[/B] My daughter is interested in Florida State. We met with admissions and they told us acceptance criteria is going up significantly this year. When we asked why, they said it was due to football team winning national championship and being in the playoff this year. Applications are up double digit % so more competition for the slots. Now, are the students picking it for football? Probably not. The success of the team makes more people aware of the school leading them to check out the academics and subsequently applying. Investing in sports is a way of investing in the school brand and getting that message out.
Please forward this to President Barchi, he has never heard of this concept.

Hoboken - Not sure how to take your post, sarcasm or questioning whether an admissions rep actually told us that?
It's sarcasm.

What exactly did I say that was outlandish to warrant a sarcastic response to my post. One point was to just relay a personal experience.

What exactly did I say that was outlandish to warrant a sarcastic response to my post. One point was to just relay a personal experience.
I thought it was sarcasm about Barchi, not about the post.

Originally posted by BeKnighted:

I thought it was sarcasm about Barchi, not about the post.
Thank you Al and Beknighted, yes sarcasm directed at Barchi. Your point 78 is spot on.

Just a few questions. Is creating the new medical school so costly that there is no money available for building a new multi-use sports facility?

RU22, I brought this up the other day. If we had to take on UMDNJ's debt and merger costs of $575 million ( this was the number someone said is correct), where is the money for Rutgers ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concerned,the state can either write us a check for $575 million or they can build a $575 million basketball/hockey palace with practice facilities for both sports. Our athletic department should be bringing this up to the media and New Jersey residents EVERY SINGLE DAY !

Originally posted by HeavenUniv.:
RU22, I brought this up the other day. If we had to take on UMDNJ's debt and merger costs of $575 million ( this was the number someone said is correct), where is the money for Rutgers ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concerned,the state can either write us a check for $575 million or they can build a $575 million basketball/hockey palace with practice facilities for both sports. Our athletic department should be bringing this up to the media and New Jersey residents EVERY SINGLE DAY !
I think it's safe to say that the mechanics of the Med School merger was slightly more complex than this "quid pro quo," and that you don't get more money from the state by excoriating them in the press, ad nauseum.

Not to mention the fact that a state-built athletics facility would be a cesspool of graft, bribery, cost-overruns and other chicanery. If Rutgers doesn't have private benefactors capable of underwriting the construction of a half-billion dollars' worth of sports-entertainment facilities, then Rutgers doesn't deserve them. I'd rather see the state spending their money on higher education, while our fans, alumni, boosters and corporate sponsors do the spending on Central Jersey's football and basketball mecca.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT