ADVERTISEMENT

Style of play

The Evil Empire 88

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2010
Question for the people here who know better then I do.
Does Coach Pikiell change the way we play?
More up tempo offense?
Trapping Defense?
It seems we have a lot of depth and can come at teams in different ways. Either way I can wait. Go RU!!!!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The team did play faster in 2019 than 2018 but Pikiell has never had a team rank in the top 150 in terms of tempo.

With the number of guards we have and the speed of guys like Young and Mathis I sure hope we speed up our defensive pressure and our tempo.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
4 perimeters PLUS Eugene or Myles I am going with.

One of my favorite posters correctly stated that Pike had the opportunity to go small when Eugene went don and didn't. We rarely saw Harper at the 4.

This year I see a change. The 4 at Rutgers for now and forever is not a back to the basket player who isnt a legitimate threat from 3.

I hope to see us play more of a full court press defense and uptempo offense. It only makes sense when your point guards are now young and mulcahy. And we can cycle the guards to keep them fresh and give them all quality minutes. It can be very exciting. You have so many wing-type players now that have the speed and length to do something like this and give teams fits

Geo
Caleb
Mathis
Mulcahy
Young
Harper

Can all be utilized in this pressing defense and get 20 minutes. I feel like I am forgetting someone in this list

If you press you better be good at it. Illinois presses and gets turnovers but their defense was poor because if they didn't get a steal they either committed a foul or allowed an easy basket.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I think pike likes to play the hot hand and mix & match based on what’s working. You have to figure we’ll play a bit more up tempo with two new PGs and the weapons we have returning. a lot will depend on chemistry. A guy like Young can really give us a different feel on both ends.

Faster on offense. Not necessarily faster on defense, but more intense.

If I am right and Eugene spends time at 5 AND he is healthy...I’d like to see the opposing 5 get back on D as fast as he may need to be.

Myles runs the floor too.

I hope to see us play more of a full court press defense and uptempo offense. It only makes sense when your point guards are now young and mulcahy. And we can cycle the guards to keep them fresh and give them all quality minutes. It can be very exciting. You have so many wing-type players now that have the speed and length to do something like this and give teams fits

Geo
Caleb
Mathis
Mulcahy
Young
Harper

Can all be utilized in this pressing defense and get 20 minutes. I feel like I am forgetting someone in this list

You forgot Kiss.

Faster on offense. Not necessarily faster on defense, but more intense.

If I am right and Eugene spends time at 5 AND he is healthy...I’d like to see the opposing 5 get back on D as fast as he may need to be.

Myles runs the floor too.

This

It is very understated that off a miss, the big guy who gets down first has a lot to do where a post guy can set up shop. When the offensive guy gets down first ...he can set up hard on the low block and not that extra step or two our

Not only is it better position ...but it’s also more space on top for the wings to make their entry pass and do their thing

Most turnovers off the press come on the pass rather than the dribble, so length with quickness is the key to successful pressure.

Based on #1 what I saw in games last year, #2 what Pike has been saying the last couple of years re style of play and #3 how the players are reacting and playing in the games I would say Coach is not married to any one style of play. He adjusts based on who we are playing and what he considers the match ups will be. That is a good sign for being a great coach. He will utilize our players as he sees what is best for team. There were a few games when we had 4 frosh on floor

Reactions: Igniteshield
Teams that go small, play fast and win have at least 3 lights out, (or at least above average) 3 point shooters. That's why it works for the Warriors and almost no one else. To be an effective pressing team, you have to make shots to set up the press.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT