ADVERTISEMENT

SU picks new AD

ecojew

All American
Feb 1, 2006
I just saw this on Yahoo but can't find a thread about it here, so am posting a link to see what people think. I hadn't realized that Syracuse got rid of the USC guy who seemed to make a lot of bad decision but it is looking west again, this time to Boise State. The new AD was the Boise AD only since 2011 so it's a bit hard to tell how much of their football success was due to his leadership.

The most interesting comment from his press conference was the one implying that SU would reduce the difficulty of its OOC schedule to give the Orange a chance to be bowl eligible. Presumably, that will also mean that the NMS games against high profile opponents that accomplished little for SU beyond pissing off a good % of its season's ticket holders, will be a thing of the past.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/syracu...coyle-athletic-director-160252789--ncaab.html

I just saw this on Yahoo but can't find a thread about it here, so am posting a link to see what people think. I hadn't realized that Syracuse got rid of the USC guy who seemed to make a lot of bad decision but it is looking west again, this time to Boise State. The new AD was the Boise AD only since 2011 so it's a bit hard to tell how much of their football success was due to his leadership.

The most interesting comment from his press conference was the one implying that SU would reduce the difficulty of its OOC schedule to give the Orange a chance to be bowl eligible. Presumably, that will also mean that the NMS games against high profile opponents that accomplished little for SU beyond pissing off a good % of its season's ticket holders, will be a thing of the past.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/syracu...coyle-athletic-director-160252789--ncaab.html

It sounds to me that he wants to find a way to get Cuse to become bowl eligible thru easy scheduling and to clean up the Athletics Compliance office. That won't sell tickets at the Carrier Dome IMO. Cuse FB appears to be in the death spiral as a program. I predict the new AD leaves in a few years for greener pastures after saying that the job of resurrecting the program was more challenging than expected. And so it goes at Syracuse. Almost no upside can be expected for them IMO.

Expect him to force out Boeheim as well.

I predict the new AD leaves in a few years for greener pastures after saying that the job of resurrecting the program was more challenging than expected.

Anyone who leaves a job claiming it was more challenging than expected is not moving on to greener pastures. Syracuse is where AD's go to die (figuratively).

Reactions: ArthrodocRC72
The most interesting comment from his press conference was the one implying that SU would reduce the difficulty of its OOC schedule to give the Orange a chance to be bowl eligible.

Maybe he'll try to schedule a game with Rutgers to give Syracuse an easy win? Oh, wait. Never mind. I forgot it's not 1997.

I would be ok signing Sarah for two games at Rutgers. I like the idea of homecoming games being non B1G games.

I'd be disappointed as a Cuse fan if Boise is the place to look for an AD. Unless the AD was the reason for Boise's prominent rise in football (which he wasn't), I don't know why you'd see him as the best candidate.

I'd be disappointed as a Cuse fan if Boise is the place to look for an AD. Unless the AD was the reason for Boise's prominent rise in football (which he wasn't), I don't know why you'd see him as the best candidate.

I can't really agree that Cuse fans should be disappointed. Syracuse is not going to hire an established top level Athletic Director. Therefore they need to either hire someone who is a senior assistant at a top level athletic program, or someone who is an AD at a second tier program. Their last AD was previously a senior assistant at USC, and he was a complete bust for Syracuse. So it is not unexpected that they went the other way this time.

I can't really agree that Cuse fans should be disappointed. Syracuse is not going to hire an established top level Athletic Director. Therefore they need to either hire someone who is a senior assistant at a top level athletic program, or someone who is an AD at a second tier program. Their last AD was previously a senior assistant at USC, and he was a complete bust for Syracuse. So it is not unexpected that they went the other way this time.
I think they were swayed by his time at Kentucky, though not the boss. I'd guess many Cuse fans would settle for mediocre football if they got that sort of hoops in the future. Not sure the next guy will be able to keep up with what Boehiem got away with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT