ADVERTISEMENT

Super Saturday

No guarantee we play this every year but 2020 and 2021 was essentially a package deal. Away game one year and home game the next.
2021 was canceled due to Covid so I’m guessing this msu game (same team we were scheduled to play in 2021) is a home game.

It’s giving up a home game, that’s just a fact.

You don’t give up home games against teams likely to have a top 30 NET. Ideally, you give up a home game in favor of neutral court against a team with a lower NET, which could potentially result in the game becoming a quadrant better in terms of W/L. It’s not that complicated.

I think you have it backwards......a neutral win carries more weight than any home win. It allows for more flexibility on how good or not as good is your opponent.

Anyone who is in the Top 50 range as a neutral, qualifies as a Q1 win. If you have a Q2 win at the RAC because MSU is not as good next year, that win is better if it's a neutral site (not really neutral with MSG so close) game.

MSU would have to be in the Top 30 for that to qualify as a Q1 win if the game is at the RAC.

If the game is neutral, the opponent only needs to be in the Top 50.

If the game is away, the team needs to be in the Top 75.

I don't necessarily care about how the NET is calculated, it is badly structured.....BUT common sense should tell you that the path to making your NCAA resume the strongest, is by securing Q1 wins.

This is a no-brainer IMO....you don't want to play someone outside of the Top 50 on a neutral, if you can avoid doing so. The game should be at worse a Q2 win and hopefully a Q1 win.

You people will find anything to complain about. The RAC is amazing in all its glory, but there is nothing like a Rutgers game at MSG. Against Fordham, ok maybe meh. Against a conference rival and historic team like MSU, Izzo?? A dream. House will be rocking. If you do pregame right this will be like a bowl trip. Love RU bball at MSG

You people will find anything to complain about. The RAC is amazing in all its glory, but there is nothing like a Rutgers game at MSG. Against Fordham, ok maybe meh. Against a conference rival and historic team like MSU, Izzo?? A dream. House will be rocking. If you do pregame right this will be like a bowl trip. Love RU bball at MSG

No

Reactions: PatrickRU92
Has every other team had the joy of giving up a home conference game to play on a neutral court
We only agree to play a home game at MSG as long as the other team gives up THEIR home game against us the next year, and plays their home game at MSG also

this becomes fair, does it not?

We only agree to play a home game at MSG as long as the other team gives up THEIR home game against us the next year, and plays their home game at MSG also

this becomes fair, does it not?
Or how about rotate all the teams to MSG such as:

Penn St vs Northwestern 2023
Michigan vs Ohio State 2024
Indiana vs Maryland 2025
Nebraska vs Purdue 2026

and so on

Or

Have Penn St play a home conference game in Pittsburgh or Philly
Have Nebraska play a home conference game in Kansas City
Have Michigan play a home conference game in Detroit

and so on

Or how about rotate all the teams to MSG such as:

Penn St vs Northwestern 2023
Michigan vs Ohio State 2024
Indiana vs Maryland 2025
Nebraska vs Purdue 2026

and so on

Or

Have Penn St play a home conference game in Pittsburgh or Philly
Have Nebraska play a home conference game in Kansas City
Have Michigan play a home conference game in Detroit

and so on
Would not be as good as the format where we play once a year, alternating home games

The game is a really good showcase for RU in the city and we should take advantage of it every year

I agree this is stupid giving up a home game...the atmosphere vs Sparty at the RAC was sick

Bac, we agree on a LOT of stuff hoops. But you are someone who is extremely analytical when it comes to overall schedule and non stop complaining about RU or SOS.

If you can get a neutral game against an almost certain Top 50 NET opponent and win, at a location that is probably 65/35 RU fans, how does that not make sense in the bigger resume picture??

Sparty would have to be Top 30 to be a Q1 win, but only Top 50 if it's considered neutral. We both know Q1 wins, is THE #1 determining factor when separating teams with similar resumes.

I would play Sparty at MSG vs playing in some ho-hum, not on a major network, Thanksgiving holiday tournament vs some random team. And we will have other quality resume games home, neutral, away with our typical B1G schedule and conference tournament.

Saturday at MSG is a grandslam.....Tuesday or Wednesday night in early December at MSG is absolutely not.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It is funny how some people consider Madison Square Garden some shrine to sports since it is host to TWO of the biggest joke franchises in pro sports.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
Pat, PLEASE run at least a couple buses from The RAC for people who don’t want to risk driving and parking their cars in New York City.

It is funny how some people consider Madison Square Garden some shrine to sports since it is host to TWO of the biggest joke franchises in pro sports.
It is still a great stage for us

We represent very well and it is always a positive for our program

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Odd take. MSG is legendary. Everyone agreed.

Also, the Rangers are awesome and in second place.

Pat, PLEASE run at least a couple buses from The RAC for people who don’t want to risk driving and parking their cars in New York City.
Why would they run busses when the train takes you literally directly to MSG

Mass transit ? Is my other choice to have someone hammer a railroad spike into my eye lol.

Odd take. MSG is legendary. Everyone agreed.

Also, the Rangers are awesome and in second place.

Why would they run busses when the train takes you literally directly to MSG
The New York Rangers have been around for almost 100 years and have won only four championships. And for the first 40 years, there were only five other teams in the NHL. In 76 years, the Knicks have only won two championships and for decades there were less than 20 teams. Insane amounts of revenue but no success.

The ones Rutgers or the booster clubs has run in the past to West Point, Maryland, the new Yankee Stadium are clean and decent so I know they are technically “Mass” transit but no filth on them.

The worst kind, too.

I'd take a train everywhere I went if I could. And there's no place easier to get to by rail than MSG.
The train to MSG for a Rutgers game is fun anyway and it doesn't get more convenient.

For the NIT finals there were non stop Rutgers chants and people drinking. Someone even brought a half keg on the train and was passing out beers

Reactions: SHUSource
This is like talking to my 60 year old MIL from Virginia about going into NYC.
My in-laws were up last week and we went into NYC to visit the Harry Potter store.
She was amazed that I could drive into and out of the city with zero reservations or concerns.

MSG is extremely easy to get to.

This is like talking to my 60 year old MIL from Virginia about going into NYC.
My in-laws were up last week and we went into NYC to visit the Harry Potter store.
She was amazed that I could drive into and out of the city with zero reservations or concerns.

MSG is extremely easy to get to.
Or they could expect a university to not turn down unique marketing events solely based on their individual preferences/convenience. Narcissism at its finest.

Bac, we agree on a LOT of stuff hoops. But you are someone who is extremely analytical when it comes to overall schedule and non stop complaining about RU or SOS.

If you can get a neutral game against an almost certain Top 50 NET opponent and win, at a location that is probably 65/35 RU fans, how does that not make sense in the bigger resume picture??

Sparty would have to be Top 30 to be a Q1 win, but only Top 50 if it's considered neutral. We both know Q1 wins, is THE #1 determining factor when separating teams with similar resumes.

I would play Sparty at MSG vs playing in some ho-hum, not on a major network, Thanksgiving holiday tournament vs some random team. And we will have other quality resume games home, neutral, away with our typical B1G schedule and conference tournament.

Saturday at MSG is a grandslam.....Tuesday or Wednesday night in early December at MSG is absolutely not.

This does not solve the non conference schedule. This is a conference game. The boost is negligible. How about playing a real team at msg..that would solve the issue.

I dont like playing conference games away from the RAC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT