ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano at ASU?

njsportsphan

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2021
Obviously he's training there, but i saw on the Facebook group that there's people saying he'll be wrestling for ASU?

Is this a fact or a rumor? I get that he enjoys training with Perry, but I'd be disappointed if he were to go that route.

ASU has some talent in those spots. Do they sacrifice a scholarship for Nick? I get that he's a rare talent, but when you have top recruits coming in and a finalist at 125 already, does that move make sense?

I really hope he just finishes at RU. Thankful for what he's done but the whole state would love to see him back for a final season. It would be huge for the program.

I'm a big fan of watching his matches. I was always a big fan of wrestling, but went nearly a decade as just a casual fan (looking at rankings and box scores).
Watching Nick come up in H.S. and then at PSU, to RU got me back into sport (from casual to borderline fanatic).

That said, very tired of the mystery that surrounds him. Not that he didn't have unlimited options to transfer to, but RU took him in. He got RU the first title. He wanted to win for Jersey. And so he did, but now what? He's got the opportunity to contribute to making this state and the leading program even more respectable and he's going to just walk away? The staff has been nothing but supportive of him.

Though, that Reece Humphreys debacle really screwed things up! He's a Princeton/Ohio State homer IMO...

I hope these ASU claims just rumors. No matter what I'll be rooting for him. The move to work with Perry this season was 100% the best move for him. I just hope he comes back after the Olympic year to finish what he started here.

Think of how much better our lightweights and even Rivera would be if he was back. **** ASU! Arizona is totally overrated. This is coming from a guy (me) that has lived out west for 10 years and spent a lot of time there. It ain't THAT great...

• Sad
Reactions: Leonard23
We all would like to see Nick back in an RU singelet and hope he wins the Olympic Trials. As time goes by I just feel returning to RU becomes more remote. Hope I am wrong and get the hold Nick

Nick isn’t going to wrestle in college again, he was an 8th grade holdback so he’ll be almost 24 years old next April. He’s done with college wrestling

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Obviously he's training there, but i saw on the Facebook group that there's people saying he'll be wrestling for ASU?

Is this a fact or a rumor? I get that he enjoys training with Perry, but I'd be disappointed if he were to go that route.

ASU has some talent in those spots. Do they sacrifice a scholarship for Nick? I get that he's a rare talent, but when you have top recruits coming in and a finalist at 125 already, does that move make sense?

I really hope he just finishes at RU. Thankful for what he's done but the whole state would love to see him back for a final season. It would be huge for the program.

I'm a big fan of watching his matches. I was always a big fan of wrestling, but went nearly a decade as just a casual fan (looking at rankings and box scores).
Watching Nick come up in H.S. and then at PSU, to RU got me back into sport (from casual to borderline fanatic).

That said, very tired of the mystery that surrounds him. Not that he didn't have unlimited options to transfer to, but RU took him in. He got RU the first title. He wanted to win for Jersey. And so he did, but now what? He's got the opportunity to contribute to making this state and the leading program even more respectable and he's going to just walk away? The staff has been nothing but supportive of him.

Though, that Reece Humphreys debacle really screwed things up! He's a Princeton/Ohio State homer IMO...

I hope these ASU claims just rumors. No matter what I'll be rooting for him. The move to work with Perry this season was 100% the best move for him. I just hope he comes back after the Olympic year to finish what he started here.

Think of how much better our lightweights and even Rivera would be if he was back. **** ASU! Arizona is totally overrated. This is coming from a guy (me) that has lived out west for 10 years and spent a lot of time there. It ain't THAT great...
PSU fans understand your pain. 😄

But, RU "took him in?" What were they going to do, turn him away?

Hope we fired Humphreys. He made Princeton stronger and allowed them to close the gap on us.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Hope we fired Humphreys. He made Princeton stronger and allowed them to close the gap on us.
Yep you're absolutely right. It's all about the dollars with him. I wouldn't be surprised if Suriano made the leap to Arizona State. All his loyal gladiator/warrior speeches can be taken with a grain of salt. Him and his father do what's best for him. You can't blame them. But that's all that matters to them. But let's be clear here.What Humphries did was a scumbag move. Everyone knows Through the Grapevine that him and Ayres are butt buddies. Plus Humphries sees dollar signs and opportunity with the endowment that Princeton can offer

Reactions: njsportsphan
Nick isn’t going to wrestle in college again, he was an 8th grade holdback so he’ll be almost 24 years old next April. He’s done with college wrestling
There are plenty of 24 year olds wrestling in the tourney and all over college and it's been that way for a while now so that's not an issue. Holdbacks are nothing new. I hope he doesn't go to ASU.

There are plenty of 24 year olds wrestling in the tourney and all over college and it's been that way for a while now so that's not an issue. Holdbacks are nothing new. I hope he doesn't go to ASU.

I believe Michigan will have Micic, Myles Amine, and Massa all at age 25.

He’s not going to wrestle in college again...that chapter is closed for bob and nick. They won a national title...mission accomplished

PSU fans understand your pain. 😄

But, RU "took him in?" What were they going to do, turn him away?

Okay, so we took him with open arms...

That said, Nicky wanted to go home near family, so there wasn't many choices.

Nonetheless that was awesome when it happened. And he knew how to put on a show.

I just don't know where he'd fit in at ASU. 2 AAs at 125 & 133. Coaches godson at 141 ..

If he wants to go to ASU he’ll start at whatever weight class he tells the coach he wants to go. There’s not many wrestlers like him in the country.

Agreed.
I am not worried about Nick.
I will root for him no matter where he wrestles or fights.
True warrior

I just don't know where he'd fit in at ASU. 2 AAs at 125 & 133. Coaches godson at 141 ..
I get what your saying but those guys at 125 and 133 would still have a year of eligibility left after next season...I think if Arizona State can have a returning Champ ( Suriano) and one of the top guys in the World in their line-up they will jump on that chance...I would bet they have been recruiting him for that since he landed in Tempe...I also think everything comes down to Olympic Trials and if he makes USA Team before we know his future plans.

I get what your saying but those guys at 125 and 133 would still have a year of eligibility left after next season...I think if Arizona State can have a returning Champ ( Suriano) and one of the top guys in the World in their line-up they will jump on that chance...I would bet they have been recruiting him for that since he landed in Tempe...I also think everything comes down to Olympic Trials and if he makes USA Team before we know his future plans.
Can’t legally recruit an athlete who isn’t in the portal, though I’m not entirely sure how it works with someone who isn’t enrolled in classes.

Can’t legally recruit an athlete who isn’t in the portal, though I’m not entirely sure how it works with someone who isn’t enrolled in classes.
He's literally training in their room with their coaches so it's not that hard to recruit him...

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
He's literally training in their room with their coaches so it's not that hard to recruit him...
I literally said I don’t know how it works with guys who aren’t enrolled.

He very well be able to train in their gym but discussions about joining their program can still be violations. I don’t know.

He very well be able to train in their gym but discussions about joining their program can still be violations. I don’t know.
Yes that would be a technical violation but likely goes on a ton.

I literally can't believe you replied to a comment that had literally in it with another literally as well.
It is literally ridiculous

(Yes i know it is literally a run on sentence)

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23 and SCNJ

Since he not enrolled they can. Even if they couldn’t do you think the NCAA would be able to prove violations? It is a non starter.

I agree with the people that said the kid is never going to wrestle in college again. After his Olympic run he will turn to MMA training. The whole point with the age is not so much too old for college but the window he has to be competitive in the UFC world.

Since he not enrolled they can. Even if they couldn’t do you think the NCAA would be able to prove violations? It is a non starter.

I agree with the people that said the kid is never going to wrestle in college again. After his Olympic run he will turn to MMA training. The whole point with the age is not so much too old for college but the window he has to be competitive in the UFC world.
MMA the top guys don’t really hit their prime until their early 30s. He has plenty of time for that even if he returns to college.

500k per year, give or take a 100k
Definitely way more than that, as the Form 990s for NJRTC, SKWC, and PWC show expenses well in excess of that. Penn RTC as well. NLWC spent ~$1.2M. I'd guess minimum $750k/yr but likely closer to $1M/yr or more to get to the next level and have the best talent.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Everybody cheats one way or another...It's the NCAA...Just look at how Cornell runs their Program and their Finger Lakes Program

Definitely way more than that, as the Form 990s for NJRTC, SKWC, and PWC show expenses well in excess of that. Penn RTC as well. NLWC spent ~$1.2M. I'd guess minimum $750k/yr but likely closer to $1M/yr or more to get to the next level and have the best talent.
You absolutely could be right. I thought Reese was making 200/250. Resident athletes probably average 75K, some more, some less. We are nowhere near being able to swing it alone.IMO

UPenn is going to grow as well as they have real momentum with their RTC. Also have the right guys behind the scenes.

MMA the top guys don’t really hit their prime until their early 30s. He has plenty of time for that even if he returns to college.

While Wrestling is an amazing MMA base it's not nearly enough anymore. He has YEARS of striking and jiu jitsu to catch up on. Years. Delaying training for anything other than the Olympics imo make little sense wig he wants an MMA career. Have you ever trained MMA? The demands on a body for Wrestling is insane. Add getting punched k led and choked. And yes. I've trained it and am a black belt in Jiu Jitsu.

Combat sports(I'm including Wrestling take an amazing roll on your body) adding extra wear and tear makes Little sense after all he's accomplished at the collegiate level. The Olympic are the next step. That I get. But if he misses the US team and really wants to be an MMA fighter there a full year of training he's giving up. Maybe he comes back but he needs to be in a gym rounding out his game. Better wrestlers than him have struggled w MMA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT