ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday, anyone?

zebnatto

All Conference
May 7, 2008
I’m a big RU fan but don’t really follow wrestling.

Would anyone sum up yesterday for me: how’d we do vs expectations, vs hopes?

Would you say that wrestling is RU’s most successful program but that gets covered up by the quality and depth of the B1G? Have we moved up the pecking order in past five or so years?

Thanks.

Would you say that wrestling is RU’s most successful program but that gets covered up by the quality and depth of the B1G? Have we moved up the pecking order in past five or so years?

Thanks.
Every wrestler has a chance to wrestle to their seed. Some guys have already wrestled above it.

It’s been somewhere between a good/great tournament for Rutgers. Looking like a 5th/6th place team finish, we’ve locked up 6 national qualifiers with a chance for 3 more. Some opportunities were missed but overall still a really good day for most of the team.

You can tell it’s been an overall good tournament because the usual suspects who tirelessly say the team sucks and that Goodale should be fired were nowhere to be found yesterday.

Every wrestler has a chance to wrestle to their seed. Some guys have already wrestled above it.

It’s been somewhere between a good/great tournament for Rutgers. Looking like a 5th/6th place team finish, we’ve locked up 6 national qualifiers with a chance for 3 more. Some opportunities were missed but overall still a really good day for most of the team.

You can tell it’s been an overall good tournament because the usual suspects who tirelessly say the team sucks and that Goodale should be fired were nowhere to be found yesterday.
Yes - much better than an ok day 💪🏽

Very good tournament. Probably better then most had thought. Would have been great if we got Peterson to finals and Poz won that match vs Smith but on flip side Dean with upset of Tournament, Shawver with highlight reel scrambling, and Moore, Turley and Soldano all wrestling above their seed. Poz scares me most, something seems a little off with him although he had the really good Qtrfinal match. Hopefully he can autoqualify and either Cetta/Desantis or both make a run for another spot.

The Wire Reaction GIF

We historically have disappointed in the back end of the tournament over the past several years, but we had 3 guys in Moore, Turley and Soldano who did really well yesterday in the consolation brackets including bonus points. I’m very happy with yesterday’s results. Only “disappointment” was not getting Dean in the finals, but 125 is a complete roller coaster.

Reactions: mikemessner
We had an ok day, we have one finalist. We have not moved up in the big ten pecking order Unfortunately. We’re basically a middle tier big ten program.
We are having a pretty solid tournament, better than expected and sitting 6th place. Based on yesterday, we have moved up the pecking order some. Just give the guys credit for once...pretty please??

Reactions: ChasRC69
We historically have disappointed in the back end of the tournament over the past several years, but we had 3 guys in Moore, Turley and Soldano who did really well yesterday in the consolation brackets including bonus points. I’m very happy with yesterday’s results. Only “disappointment” was not getting Dean in the finals, but 125 is a complete roller coaster.
Very true… this has been one of our best b10 tourney I can remember(in terms of wrestling to our seed or better)… Dean had that takedown on McKee with 10s left and in the final second gave up the escape… to force OT… damn so close…

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
We are having a pretty solid tournament, better than expected and sitting 6th place. Based on yesterday, we have moved up the pecking order some. Just give the guys credit for once...pretty please??
I still think a middle tier big ten program is an accurate statement. Let’s see how we finish up today. We did have some good wins yesterday, just wish Dean pulled it out.

• Sad
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
I still think a middle tier big ten program is an accurate statement. Let’s see how we finish up today. We did have some good wins yesterday, just wish Dean pulled it out.
It’s not an incorrect statement but does sell the team’s performance short given that the teams ahead of RU are among the top 9 teams in the country, including the top 3 schools.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I don’t disagree with being a middle tier team. 6, 7, 8 is the definition of the middle of 14 teams. We’re having a good showing though considering how many people claimed we were bottom tier as recently as a week or two ago

Reactions: ChasRC69

Thanks.
I thought we did quite well. Would have loved to have had the Peterson(secs away) and Poz/Smith matches, than the tournament would have been unbelievable. But we have a chance to finish 6th or 7th today in the B1G with a two-weight handicap.

With our resources that's where we should be, we should never be in the 9th to 12th range, ever. The Top 5 are always going to outspend us by at least 5 times, so that's a pipe dream. The Coaches and Wrestlers have performed admirably thus far, I'm very pleased.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT