ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Outlook

Doctor Worm

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2002
B1G currently has 8 bowl eligible teams, 3 eliminated, and 3 on the bubble at 5-6. The three bubble teams are:

Nebraska - vs. Iowa on Friday
Illinois - vs. Northwestern on Saturday
Minnesota - vs. Wisconsin on Saturday.

If all three, or even two, of the bubble teams qualify for a bowl, that could be bad news for Rutgers, especially if we lose on Saturday.

Let's hypothesize that all three bubble teams win at home next weekend, making 11 bowl eligibles. Let's further assume Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State all go NY6. One of those three teams is placed in the Orange Bowl, which takes the Reliaquest out of play. That leaves the following pecking order:

4) Cheez-It Citrus in Orlando - let's say they take Iowa. Now we're down to one 7-5 team (w/o RU-MD) and a bunch of 6-6.
5) Music City in Nashville - I think they go brand name with Wisconsin.
6) Las Vegas Bowl - They too go brand name with Nebraska, who will fill the stadium.

Now it gets dicey. Five teams still on the board: RU, MD, Minn, Illinois, and Northwestern.

7) Pinstripe - Winner of RU/MD. Hopefully RU. If not...
8) Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix - Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe loser of RU/MD. But if not...
9) Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit - I think this bowl in B1G country takes a "traditional" B1G team.

And that's it. Under this scenario, two B1G teams will be relegated to pre-Christmas ESPN-owned bowls against G5 opposition.

It would be very helpful if at least two of the bubble teams (preferably Nebraska) lose next weekend. It would be even more helpful if we beat Maryland.

Last edited:
"7) Pinstripe - Winner of RU/MD. Hopefully RU. If not..."

Maryland went two years ago so they can't go, I thought ?

B1G currently has 8 bowl eligible teams, 3 eliminated, and 3 on the bubble at 5-6. The three bubble teams are:

If all three, or even two, of the bubble teams qualify for a bowl, that could be bad news for Rutgers, especially if we lose on Saturday.

Let's assume that all three bubble teams win at home next weekend, making 11 bowl eligibles. Let's further assume Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State all go NY6. One of those three teams is placed in the Orange Bowl, which takes the Reliaquest out of play. That leaves the following pecking order:

4) Cheez-It Citrus in Orlando - let's say they take Iowa. Now we're down to one 7-5 team (w/o RU-MD) and a bunch of 6-6.
6) Las Vegas Bowl - They too go brand name with Nebraska, who will fill the stadium.

Now it gets dicey. Five teams still on the board: RU, MD, Minn, Illinois, and Northwestern.

8) Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix - Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe loser of RU/MD. But if not...
9) Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit - I think this bowl in B1G country takes a "traditional" B1G team.

And that's it. Under this scenario, two B1G teams will be relegated to pre-Christmas ESPN-owned bowls against G5 opposition.

It would be very helpful if at least two of the bubble teams (preferably Nebraska) lose next weekend. It would be even more helpful if we beat Maryland.
Nebraska is not beating Iowa and I doubt Minnesota beats Wisconsin. 9 bowl eligible teams most likely.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Nebraska is not beating Iowa and I doubt Minnesota beats Wisconsin. 9 bowl eligible teams most likely.
I wouldn't be so sure that Nebraska doesn't pull off the upset at home. It wouldn't be that big an upset. I mean, how many nailbiters can Iowa continue to win, and how many can Nebraska lose?

I do know this - IF Nebraska becomes bowl eligible, they will be in demand.

Let's hypothesize that all three bubble teams win at home next weekend, making 11 bowl eligibles. Let's further assume Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State all go NY6. One of those three teams is placed in the Orange Bowl, which takes the Reliaquest out of play. That leaves the following pecking order:

Pinstripe picks RU, even if we lose

Spot on with Nebraska.. they are the top choice for any Bowl Committee.. it Nebraska loses, then the Vegas Bowl might go to the winner of the Rutgers/Maryland game… Rutgers would still be the Pinstripe pick if they lose, however if Maryland loses, Northwestern, with all of the local grads, might get the Pinstripe nod. (Since Maryland has been to NY recently)

That would send Maryland to Phoenix. Quick lane would like to have either Northwestern or Illinois, however if Northwestern wins the game between them on Saturday, Illinois would become ineligible.

Minnesota would also be popular with Quick lane (cannot go to NY, as they were there last year), but if they to lose to Wisconsin, they are out. Wisconsin was the last Big Ten to Vegas, and would be a popular Music City choice, win or lose Saturday.

Nebraska, of course, could be the spoiler to any of the scenarios listed above.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
No need to overthink this. We are 99.9% going to the Pinstripe Bowl.
Let's assume Nebraska loses and RU beats Maryland.
Iowa goes to Citrus
Wisconsin goes to Music City
Vegas picks who?

If we win, I think we could be in Vegas ( Wisconsin there in 2021 )
I agree that if we lose to MD, we go Pinstripe.
Just happy to be talking about bowls in November !!

Not so sure about that. If we beat MD, and Nebraska doesn't qualify, I think Vegas is very much in play.
our offense is a problem. Even if we beat Maryland, the bowl committee could very well choose Maryland. It happened in 2014, and we ended up In Detroit. They want teams that will score points and sell tickets.

I would rather be in Vegas, but would be perfectly content with the Pinstripe, which is appropriate for where we are at. It will get our highest turnout.

our offense is a problem. Even if we beat Maryland, the bowl committee could very well choose Maryland. It happened in 2014, and we ended up In Detroit. They want teams that will score points and sell tickets.

I would rather be in Vegas, but would be perfectly content with the Pinstripe, which is appropriate for where we are at. It will get our highest turnout.
That is a good point. MD, with a dynamic offense and a QB with name recognition, would be a more sexy pick than us.

one thing people are forgetting is that our offense has looked lousy against top ten defenses on the road
The Vegas Bowl would be against a Pac-12 team, a conference not known for defense
If we get selected for this bowl, I would not be surprised if we score 3 or more touchdowns..

Reactions: Knight Shift
one thing people are forgetting is that our offense has looked lousy against top ten defenses on the road
The Vegas Bowl would be against a Pac-12 team, a conference not known for defense
If we get selected for this bowl, I would not be surprised if we score 3 or more touchdowns..
Maryland scored 24 points against Michigan, and would be easier to market, because they have a soon to be NFL Quarterback. Their offense can keep up with PAC 12 offenses. Ours would struggle to do so.

Reactions: shields
Maryland scored 24 points against Michigan, and would be easier to market, because they have a soon to be NFL Quarterback. Their offense can keep up with PAC 12 offenses. Ours would struggle to do so.
Hmmm...

Are you making the case that if Nebraska qualifies and goes to Vegas, and we lose to Maryland, maybe the Pinstripe picks MD over us?

If so, that could be the "worst case scenario" path.

Hmmm...

Are you making the case that if Nebraska qualifies and goes to Vegas, and we lose to Maryland, maybe the Pinstripe picks MD over us?

If so, that could be the "worst case scenario" path.
No. I think the pinstripe takes us no matter what thanks to proximity. But Vegas probably takes Maryland because they are more marketable and exciting.

Spot on with Nebraska.. they are the top choice for any Bowl Committee.. it Nebraska loses, then the Vegas Bowl might go to the winner of the Rutgers/Maryland game… Rutgers would still be the Pinstripe pick if they lose, however if Maryland loses, Northwestern, with all of the local grads, might get the Pinstripe nod. (Since Maryland has been to NY recently)

That would send Maryland to Phoenix. Quick lane would like to have either Northwestern or Illinois, however if Northwestern wins the game between them on Saturday, Illinois would become ineligible.

Minnesota would also be popular with Quick lane (cannot go to NY, as they were there last year), but if they to lose to Wisconsin, they are out. Wisconsin was the last Big Ten to Vegas, and would be a popular Music City choice, win or lose Saturday.

Nebraska, of course, could be the spoiler to any of the scenarios listed above.
Let’s just win our last game and improve our chances of a normal Bowl experience for players and fans.
Let NW be awarded the unwanted consolation prize.

The Pinstripe is NOT the unwanted consolation prize.

The unwanted consolation prize is a pre-Christmas ESPN-owned bowl against a no name opponent. It is quite possible that one B1G team will "win" that prize. Maybe even two.

Because the Pinstripe exists, we are probably not a contender for that unwanted prize. Otherwise, we might well be.

If all three, or even two, of the bubble teams qualify for a bowl, that could be bad news for Rutgers, especially if we lose on Saturday. Nah. Really, really stretching here IMHO.

Let's hypothesize that all three bubble teams win at home next weekend, making 11 bowl eligibles. Let's further assume Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State all go NY6. One of those three teams is placed in the Orange Bowl, which takes the Reliaquest out of play. That leaves the following pecking order: Correct and agree this is how it plays out UNLESS the B1G makes sure that PSU doesn't go to The Orange Bowl BUT still plays NY6. We DO have more pull than the ACC.

4) Cheez-It Citrus in Orlando - let's say they take Iowa. Now we're down to one 7-5 team (w/o RU-MD) and a bunch of 6-6. Likely Iowa BUT they were just there 2 years ago. Possibly Wisconsin at 7-5 as well.
5) Music City in Nashville - I think they go brand name with Wisconsin. THIS IS THE B1G "TOSSUP" RIGHT NOW IMHO. Agree, if Wisconsin is available at 7-5, they LIKELY get the call.
6) Las Vegas Bowl - They too go brand name with Nebraska, who will fill the stadium. Nebraska won't be available after they lose to Iowa. Can't take Wisconsin.

7) Pinstripe - Winner of RU/MD. Hopefully RU. If not...or loser
8) Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix - Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe loser of RU/MD. But if not...CAN'T TAKE WISCONSIN. Could be winner of RU/MD as well (as odd as that sounds)
9) Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit - I think this bowl in B1G country takes a "traditional" B1G team. Might have Northwestern/Illinois winner written all over it.

"dicey?" Ehhhh.... IMHO we're going to a B1G bowl regardless of what happens this week. That being said go out, WIN Saturday, and hope for a few other things to go our way and "you never know!"

#6 was left unanswered, .. of Course Nebraska is the choice, but if they don't qualify & Iowa/ Wisconsin are not available..?? Odds are a nearby Pac-12 team, like Utah, could fill 2/3 of the stadium anyway, so the attendance from the other big ten schools considered would be marginal (and probably equal. it is Vegas!) The other factors, like offense, name quarterback, or other star, who's to say??
I don't know, but the fact that its still questionable makes for good Thanksgiving/pre-Maryland game conversation..

Reactions: G- RUnit

The unwanted consolation prize is a pre-Christmas ESPN-owned bowl against a no name opponent. It is quite possible that one B1G team will "win" that prize. Maybe even two.

Because the Pinstripe exists, we are probably not a contender for that unwanted prize. Otherwise, we might well be.
Some of those warmer bowls could be a W and an actual bowl experience.
Definition of consolation varies.
Fact we are having this conversation shows that Brown Stripe is problematic and everything wrong with that bowl.

Some of those warmer bowls could be a W and an actual bowl experience.
Definition of consolation varies.
Fact we are having this conversation shows that Brown Stripe is problematic and everything wrong with that bowl.
The Bahamas bowl would not be a terrible consolation prize.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

I think Pinstripe picks before Vegas. I guess the travel argument for Nebraska holds. RU would bring the same number of people if not more but we won't stay in hotels (no idea if that really means anything). Maryland being in the pinstripe 2 years ago helps RU but it doesn't eliminate them from consideration as I believe the rule for the PS bowl is that 3 different teams must participate in 4 years.

I think Pinstripe picks before Vegas. I guess the travel argument for Nebraska holds. RU would bring the same number of people if not more but we won't stay in hotels (no idea if that really means anything). Maryland being in the pinstripe 2 years ago helps RU but it doesn't eliminate them from consideration as I believe the rule for the PS bowl is that 3 different teams must participate in 4 years.
Vegas picks before Pinstripe.

That’s the weird thing NYC doesn’t really need hotels filled. It’s just a money grab by the Yankees and a TV slot for a weird time slot. Hard to believe Nebraska would go to New York. Although Nebraska v Miami could be the Gotham Bowl part II. Lol

Reactions: ruronny
Really? They also lost to Northwestern, and we defeated Northwestern. Maybe that will matter more to them, especially if we beat Maryland. They also went to a bowl last year. Maybe the decision makers will see us traveling better.
No. I think the pinstripe takes us no matter what thanks to proximity. But Vegas probably takes Maryland because they are more marketable and exciting.
Agree on proximity, but on second part--Really? See above. I doubt the bowl selection committee is that granular. It all depends on who the opponent is.

Correct. We are the easy pick because of proximity.

Georgia Tech just became bowl eligible. That would be a good match up.

Brent Key returned to Georgia Tech, having graduated in 2021. The previous coach cratered to program going 10-28/7-19 from 2019 to 2022. Georgia Tech has not been to a bowl since 2018, and Rutgers since 2018. This would be an interesting Battle of the Rebuilds, led by two coaches previously affiliated with their teams.

Great story line. Bowls love story lines.

950206b9-5bad-4ad7-a29b-23eaa97793ee_text.gif

I’d rather BC for the W if we must go to the Brown Stripe.
Amused at a Lawn Mower Company sponsorship for Pinstripe Bowl.
Must be all the NYC residents buying lawn mowers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT