ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Outlook

The other consideration besides everything else is who would we play in NYC? A game against a fairly local school we would perhaps normally play? ... That's another negative consideration IF it were to come to.
From the Sun Bowl website:

The ACC and its bowl partners will make team selections based on several factors, including geographic proximity, avoiding repeat appearances and matchups, and regular-season won-loss records.

Last year: Syracuse, so they won't be back (if they even right the ship and bowl anywhere)

Previous teams: VT (no repeat matchup, wouldn't face them anyway); Wake Forest; Miami; BC; Pitt; Duke

I've seen NC State and BC in multiple projections as a possible Pinstripe opponent.

Nothing wrong with the Pinstripe bowl. Easy to get to. We'd have home field advantage. The cold weather suits our run first team. Probably gives us the best advantage compared to any other bowl.

Playing in a dome vs a high powered offense would not be ideal IMO.
Nothing wrong ? LMAO
Least desired Bowl location of all B1G programs.

Nothing wrong ? LMAO
Least desired Bowl location of all B1G programs.
Ok there are some drawbacks as previous poster mentioned but I still think it gives us a good advantage in terms of winning. Also so easy to get to.

What would be an interesting exercise, which I'm too lazy to do, would be to poll the other potential PS participants to see what they thought of playing in the bowl. Is it the travel (or lack thereof) that makes it so uninviting to Rutgers fans or is it more general.?

Reactions: NickRU714
What would be an interesting exercise, which I'm too lazy to do, would be to poll the other potential PS participants to see what they thought of playing in the bowl. Is it the travel (or lack thereof) that makes it so uninviting to Rutgers fans or is it more general.?

Similar thought - do teams local to say the Mayo Bowl in Charlotte have the same view? Like you mention - no travel or visiting new areas.

Similar thought - do teams local to say the Mayo Bowl in Charlotte have the same view? Like you mention - no travel or visiting new areas.
Arizona State for the Insight in 2005.

Very similar scenario. On a few levels.

Reactions: NickRU714
Arizona State for the Insight in 2005.

Very similar scenario. On a few levels.

Great point! I was super pumped to go to Phoenix as a student.
But if you're from the area, it's a local bowl in baseball stadium.
And Phoneiz didn't really have a great nightlife. Seemed the city shut down at 5pm every night. But as an outsider we dealt with it because we had to.

I could see locals not being enthusiastic about that game.

Reactions: ManasquanMike
And Phoneiz didn't really have a great nightlife. Seemed the city shut down at 5pm every night. But as an outsider we dealt with it because we had to.

Interesting- Houston also shuts down at 5pm too. Though, at least our opponent was not local.
The St. Pete- UCF was a local team. They seemed to like being home though.

From the Sun Bowl website:

The ACC and its bowl partners will make team selections based on several factors, including geographic proximity, avoiding repeat appearances and matchups, and regular-season won-loss records.

Last year: Syracuse, so they won't be back (if they even right the ship and bowl anywhere)

Previous teams: VT (no repeat matchup, wouldn't face them anyway); Wake Forest; Miami; BC; Pitt; Duke

I've seen NC State and BC in multiple projections as a possible Pinstripe opponent.
exactly. We played Wake in the last Bowl (and I saw Wake at their last Pinstripe) and BC twice recently in our normal schedule. Miami or Duke would be cool. Pitt ho hum.

Interesting- Houston also shuts down at 5pm too. Though, at least our opponent was not local.
The St. Pete- UCF was a local team. They seemed to like being home though.
UCF was just THRILLED to be in a Bowl game that wasn't in Hawaii (their first) or 824 miles away in Memphis (their 2nd) and thinking them Knights were going to kick US knights butts near their house. Our first Pinstripe was pretty exciting too.

NY? Yeah I'll bring friends. But I am really hoping for Nashville as I'll pack up the Dog and my wife will actually go too. (but not the game. Can you bring a dog in lol?).

UCF was just THRILLED to be in a Bowl game that wasn't in Hawaii (their first) or 824 miles away in Memphis (their 2nd) and thinking them Knights were going to kick US knights butts near their house. Our first Pinstripe was pretty exciting too.

NY? Yeah I'll bring friends. But I am really hoping for Nashville as I'll pack up the Dog and my wife will actually go too. (but not the game. Can you bring a dog in lol?).
Put a pair of ray bans on 😎, get a cane and vest/harness for the dog and you’re in.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

I live in Scottsdale, you are correct. Locals are like the casual RU fans with ASU. If they’re winning, there’s hype, if not they’re an afterthought. Plenty to do at night if we were to come back.

Today stunk but we could still beat Maryland. Almost everyone not named Iowa that could be more desirable than us also lost. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Minnesota all 5-5.

Iowa looks like a lock to Citrus unless they shock the world in B1G title game. Their D may gave them a chance.

Assuming we lose to PSU and Michigan over Maryland next week, nobody else will get to 8 wins. So 7-5 at best in Music City and Las Vegas. I doubt Pinstripe would let us slide by for a 7-5 at best option. We will sell more tickets, plus the no repeat clause.

But man, the stars were aligned for 8-4 to be a difference making record in bowl selection this year.

ALL 5 are at currently at 5-5:
Nebraska plays at Wisconsin & hosts Iowa
Minnesota plays at Ohio State & hosts Wisconsin
Wisconsin hosts Nebraska & plays at Minnesota
Northwestern hosts Purdue & plays at Illinois
Illinois plays at Iowa & host Northwestern
- Iowa is the most likely winner of the West & headed to the Citrus Bowl
Nebraska , although very popular with Bowl Committees , will struggle to get to 6 wins
Minnesota may also have a hard time getting to 6 wins
Wisconsin should bounce back & win their next 2
Unless Purdue is a Spoiler, Illinois & Northwestern could squeak out 6 wins. (too bad Indiana dd not win today)
Wisconsin was the last Big Ten team in the Vegas Bowl. They will probably go to Music City at 7-5
no other team in the west looks likely to get to 7 wins, a few listed above may not get to 6
I think Rutgers/Maryland is for a ticket to Vegas.

6-6 would put them in the Yankee Bowl

7-5 could get them into Vegas, especially if Nebraska & Minn lose out..

Maryland at 6-6 would probably not go to Yankee Bowl. (Been there recently) That bid would probably go to Northwestern, with all of the NY alums..

Illinois to Quick Lane, Iowa to Citrus, Wisconsin to Music City

(If Penn State drops to Citrus however, that could shift everything down)

• Haha
Reactions: Henry Rutgers
There are still a lot of moving parts, but I think the only way RU has a shot at NOT being in the Pinstripe Bowl, is if Nebraska or Wisconsin fail to get bowl eligible, and we beat Maryland. I think that opens the door to the possibility of Nashville or Vegas.

If you look at it objectively, RU would be 7-5. Four of their five losses would be to the four best teams in the Big 10. Only MSU has played those four teams as well and they're buried. We'd get respect for going 7-5 against such a difficult schedule. And it's a fair argument that with Mordecai as QB, Wisconsin was the 5th best team.

There are still a lot of moving parts, but I think the only way RU has a shot at NOT being in the Pinstripe Bowl, is if Nebraska or Wisconsin fail to get bowl eligible, and we beat Maryland. I think that opens the door to the possibility of Nashville or Vegas.

If you look at it objectively, RU would be 7-5. Four of their five losses would be to the four best teams in the Big 10. Only MSU has played those four teams as well and they're buried. We'd get respect for going 7-5 against such a difficult schedule. And it's a fair argument that with Mordecai as QB, Wisconsin was the 5th best team.
If Nebraska loses this Saturday to Wisconsin in Madison don’t see them getting Bowl eligible.
Their last game is vs. Iowa.

• Haha
If Nebraska loses this Saturday to Wisconsin in Madison don’t see them getting Bowl eligible.
Their last game is vs. Iowa.
Agree. Worst case scenario would be if Nebraska beats Wisconsin and then Wisconsin beats Minnesota in the season finale. Need one of those teams to drop both games. Most likely path is for Nebraska to lose two but can't rule out the possibility that Wisconsin has tanked without Mordecai behind center.

Agree. Worst case scenario would be if Nebraska beats Wisconsin and then Wisconsin beats Minnesota in the season finale. Need one of those teams to drop both games. Most likely path is for Nebraska to lose two but can't rule out the possibility that Wisconsin has tanked without Mordecai behind center.
Mordecai played last Saturday but still lost to Northwestern.

Mordecai played last Saturday but still lost to Northwestern.
Really? I just assumed. Wisconsin does seem to have a bad habit of laying eggs against inferior Big 10 West teams. But that's really surprising. Given this information, I'll be rooting hard for them to beat Nebraska.

If by that you mean we end up in Detroit...yes, that is the worst-case scenario.

Other than being left out entirely.

Last edited:
If by that you mean we end up in Detroit...yes, that is the worst-case scenario.

Other than being left out entirely.
In my view, there is no scenario where RU ends up in Detroit. And there is no chance that a bowl eligible power 5 school will be left out. If the Big 10 has more eligible teams than bowl ties, other bowls will step in and take Big 10 teams.

I feel like this is where we are at today:
Pinstripe - 90%
Music City - 6%
Vegas - 2%
Guaranteed Rate - 2%

Unless we miraculously beat PSU, we really won't move much from these numbers until the regular season is completed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT