ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Coach Calls out PSU, Cael, and Suriano for "gamesmanship"?

Leonard23

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Mark Manning going all in on this claim, but a PSU wrestler refuted it. What's the truth here? Was Suriano practicing to try to wrestle at NCAAs? Seems Manning went nuclear over Starocci getting an at large bid with an injury and is pissed that Bubba Wilson didn't.

Last edited:
I don’t think Suriano would have left Penn State the way he did if both sides knew he wasn’t wrestling. I’m willing to bet Cael said let’s give it a shot, Suriano tried, and then both sides disagreed on whether or not it was the right thing to do. Cael probably made the right decision, Suriano didn’t like it, and we ended up being the beneficiaries.

Like most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle and both could be true based on people's perspectives. It's 100% true that programs are always trying to game the system to gain an advantage, but knowing someone like Nick I find it hard to believe that he didn't want to compete or no intention of competing. To SCNJ's point, i'd wager that there was a disagreement between the two camps in terms of what the decision was and it strained the relationship.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Strange for him to bring this up three years later. Screams of sore loser. Regardless if he competed or not Suriano earned the spot based on criteria set up by the NCAA. His beef should be with the NCAA not Penn State or Suraino.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Strange for him to bring this up three years later. Screams of sore loser. Regardless if he competed or not Suriano earned the spot based on criteria set up by the NCAA. His beef should be with the NCAA not Penn State or Suraino.
At 174, his wrestler (Bubba Wilson) currently sits as 2nd alternate. He believes history is repeating itself with Starocci and has publicly put Cael on notice.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
At 174, his wrestler (Bubba Wilson) currently sits as 2nd alternate. He believes history is repeating itself with Starocci and has publicly put Cael on notice.
His guy should have wrestled better and earned the spot. Starocci earned that spot and if he too hurt so be it. That is the great thing about wrestling. He had his shot to earn it but failed to. It not Starocci fault he finished 9th place. Losing 15 matches has more to do with him being left out then Starocci. The coach should shut the hell up and get his guys ready to compete instead of crying on social media. The kid was 17-15 and he had every opportunity to earn a spot and didn't. If his coach spent more time coaching up his guys and less time on social media then won't need to whine about not getting an at large spot.

His guy should have wrestled better and earned the spot. Starocci earned that spot and if he too hurt so be it. That is the great thing about wrestling. He had his shot to earn it but failed to. It not Starocci fault he finished 9th place. Losing 15 matches has more to do with him being left out then Starocci. The coach should shut the hell up and get his guys ready to compete instead of crying on social media. The kid was 17-15 and he had every opportunity to earn a spot and didn't. If his coach spent more time coaching up his guys and less time on social media then won't need to whine about not getting an at large spot.
That's harsh. For the integrity of the sport, you shouldn't medically forfeit at the mat. That deprives the first alternate the opportunity to fulfill their dream. In the end, both the injured wrestler and the first alternate lose.

His guy should have wrestled better and earned the spot. Starocci earned that spot and if he too hurt so be it. That is the great thing about wrestling. He had his shot to earn it but failed to. It not Starocci fault he finished 9th place. Losing 15 matches has more to do with him being left out than Starocci. The coach should shut the hell up and get his guys ready to compete instead of crying on social media. The kid was 17-15 and he had every opportunity to earn a spot and didn't. If his coach spent more time coaching up his guys and less time on social media then won't need to whine about not getting an at large spot.
I’m still a little surprised Wilson didn’t get an at large selection compared to some of the other guys at 174 that did..he was ranked above Augustine, Simma, and Wask…guess I’d be mad too if was Nebraska fan…

Surprised Santaniello didn’t get one either at 133… some ppl on this board was hyping him up how we missed on him when he beat Bouzakis…

I’m still a little surprised Wilson didn’t get an at large selection compared to some of the other guys at 174 that did..he was ranked above Augustine, Simma, and Wask…guess I’d be mad too if was Nebraska fan…

Surprised Santaniello didn’t get one either at 133… some ppl on this board was hyping him up how we missed on him when he beat Bouzakis…
The final Coaches poll and RPI came out this morning. Wilson was not ranked in the top 33 of the coaches poll and was 27th in RPI. Wask was 32nd in coaches and 13th RPI Simma was 30th and 23rd RPI and Augustine was 24th and 21st. Nebraska coach bitching prior to seeing final polls.....

Santaniello was ranked 29 in coaches and 27th in RPI. I think he had a gripe not getting bid.

Reactions: mikemessner
The final Coaches poll and RPI came out this morning. Wilson was not ranked in the top 33 of the coaches poll and was 27th in RPI. Wask was 32nd in coaches and 13th RPI Simma was 30th and 23rd RPI and Augustine was 24th and 21st. Nebraska coach bitching prior to seeing final polls.....

Santaniello was ranked 29 in coaches and 27th in RPI. I think he had a gripe not getting bid.
I was lookin at flo ranking which had bubba at 18th and Santaniello at 22.. usually they r good and objective with their rankings.

That's harsh. For the integrity of the sport, you shouldn't medically forfeit at the mat. That deprives the first alternate the opportunity to fulfill their dream. In the end, both the injured wrestler and the first alternate lose.
So coaches are supposed to tell the future and know how healthy a kid would be in two-four weeks? Why should one be forced to give up a dream? Why is one person dream more valuable then another's? It a pretty big assumption by the coach that they knew for 100% weeks before that in two weeks he still would not have been healthy enough to wrestle. Did Nebraska coach see the x rays, talk to the team's medical staff and evaluate Nick himself? Even if the ankle was broken 4 weeks before it is possible to heal enough for him to compete. The coach should worry about his own team and not comment on things he has no clue on. A true competitor and coach would be focused on earning the chance and not hoping it handed to them by an injury. I am sorry but a barely .500 wrestler barely missing out making nationals tells me there should be fewer bids to nationals. They are taking 33 out of 73 guys. I sorry if I don't have much sympathy for someone missing out when over 45% of wrestlers make it.

I understand being upset but what happened 7 years ago has no impact on today. He had his shot and failed. It a life learning lesson but instead this coach whines like an entitled toddler.

The irony is that if Starocci wrestles, the Nebraska kid finishes 10th since Starocci likely wins the whole thing.

Reactions: mikemessner
I understand being upset but what happened 7 years ago has no impact on today. He had his shot and failed. It a life learning lesson but instead this coach whines like an entitled toddler.
Damn that’s crazy that it was… 7 years ago.. time goes by so fast the older we get.. wild…
Agreed, he had his shot and didn’t qualify.. shouldn’t leave it up to chance like an at large bid or a refs decision…

So coaches are supposed to tell the future and know how healthy a kid would be in two-four weeks? Why should one be forced to give up a dream? Why is one person dream more valuable then another's? It a pretty big assumption by the coach that they knew for 100% weeks before that in two weeks he still would not have been healthy enough to wrestle. Did Nebraska coach see the x rays, talk to the team's medical staff and evaluate Nick himself? Even if the ankle was broken 4 weeks before it is possible to heal enough for him to compete. The coach should worry about his own team and not comment on things he has no clue on. A true competitor and coach would be focused on earning the chance and not hoping it handed to them by an injury. I am sorry but a barely .500 wrestler barely missing out making nationals tells me there should be fewer bids to nationals. They are taking 33 out of 73 guys. I sorry if I don't have much sympathy for someone missing out when over 45% of wrestlers make it.
Nick withdrew the day before nationals. Did PSU know he wasn't going to wrestle? Manning thinks they did, but who knows? I sure don't. My point is if someone knows they are not going to wrestle, they should withdraw before the reseeding deadline. However, if they are questionable, they should stay. I think we can agree on that.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Nick withdrew the day before nationals. Did PSU know he wasn't going to wrestle? Manning thinks they did, but who knows? I sure don't. My point is if someone knows they are not going to wrestle, they should withdraw before the reseeding deadline. However, if they are questionable, they should stay. I think we can agree on that.
I believe his teammates who say he was practicing prior to withdrawing over a coach who is speculating. Either way is it classless and wrong for a coach to make that accusation publicly with obviously no first hand knowledge of the situation.

Damn that’s crazy that it was… 7 years ago.. time goes by so fast the older we get.. wild…
Agreed, he had his shot and didn’t qualify.. shouldn’t leave it up to chance like an at large bid or a refs decision…
Yup all this for wrestler who went 13-10 this season, 1-6 in conference, earned the 12-seed for B1G Tourney where he went 1-2 in the regular tournament bracket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT