ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano suffers last second loss to Gross

I'm only slightly more partial to Suriano in this match, but I think it's precisely the reason why I don't get freestyle and loathe its scoring system. Hard for this feeble brain to see that as a "turn." [sick]

What does 3rd place finish mean for Suriano? Is he going to wrestle for Rutgers in January or can he still qualify for trials in April?

Senior Nationals are at the end of December.
Suriano will have to finish in the top 5 to qualify for the OTT.

I think there are other methods of qualifying as well.

Reactions: MS-RU
Senior Nationals are at the end of December.
Suriano will have to finish in the top 5 to qualify for the OTT.

I think there are other methods of qualifying as well.

Thanks.

My freestyle and Olympic knowledge are very minimal, but do people who are already qualified for the trials typically wrestle in these events? Obviously some can, but was wondering if it were the norm. If not, I'd be hard pressed to think of 5 additional wrestlers better than Nick.

Currently Qualified at 57kg:
Thomas Gilman
Daton Fix
Nahshon Garrett
Joe Colon
Tyler Graff
Seth Gross

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Outside of a last second WTF kind of loss where he was the better wrestler, he was the best wrestler in the tournament. I have to believe he qualifies for trials if there are 5 spots open. Just done see anyone beating him not on above list. Even a NATO I think he handles. He’s just so hard to score on. Only takes down he gave up all tournament was a meaningless one to Sanders when up 6-0.

Outside of a last second WTF kind of loss where he was the better wrestler, he was the best wrestler in the tournament. I have to believe he qualifies for trials if there are 5 spots open. Just done see anyone beating him not on above list. Even a NATO I think he handles. He’s just so hard to score on. Only takes down he gave up all tournament was a meaningless one to Sanders when up 6-0.

He was by far the best wrestler at the tournament. He also showed a lot more offense than he had previously. With a few months prep he will figure out how to negate Gross’s counter offense and he will add some freestyle turns via head pinch/etc when his opponents take bad shots. Even still a smarter last 10 seconds and he wins that match. No disrespect to Gross but Fix, Gilman and Lee are the bigger threats.

Agreed. That's the reason I was asking if those already qualified all typically wrestle because that would certainly make it more interesting/challenging, but otherwise aside from Spencer Lee, there certainly wouldn't be 5 guys as talented as him there.

i'll say it now....nick suriano will medal at the Olympic games.......frank the tank was one win away from a bronze.......a stinking 2 second exposure costs him the match.......they all better watch out nick is out to get them, and will........the will, and focus of a champion

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I look forward to Fix vs Suriano 3.
Nick was the aggressor in the NCAA Final and Fix would have been put on a shot clock real quick.

It’s OK ... just like nationals lose early, and win when it counts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT