ADVERTISEMENT

Tailgates for Northwestern?

A friend of mine pointed out that Rutgers should never ever ever play a home game Labor Day weekend. We are a shore state and therefore we go to the shore that weekend. If Rutgers must play that weekend, It should be someplace like northwestern or Nebraska or Iowa where they don't have any beaches or shores.
Non shore states still go places on LDW. Lakes, camps, etc.

I do thing NJ is different from much of the country in that school starts after Labor Day. So that makes LDW more of a last horah of summer.
Having said that, I’ve spent much of my life at the jersey shore and the crowds on the beach are long gone by LDW. The last week of august everything is already winding down.

Non shore states still go places on LDW. Lakes, camps, etc.

I do thing NJ is different from much of the country in that school starts after Labor Day. So that makes LDW more of a last horah of summer.
Having said that, I’ve spent much of my life at the jersey shore and the crowds on the beach are long gone by LDW. The last week of august everything is already winding down.

Ya weird take to say NJ is somehow different.
Would assume all states and people everywhere do something.

Also, considering the coast is within 2 hours of the stadium from any point, an argument could be made that Rutgers fans are least impacted compared to other areas where people travel further distances to get away.

A friend of mine pointed out that Rutgers should never ever ever play a home game Labor Day weekend. We are a shore state and therefore we go to the shore that weekend. If Rutgers must play that weekend, It should be someplace like northwestern or Nebraska or Iowa where they don't have any beaches or shores.
Springsteen certainly doesnt think that way. I'll be hitting that concert right after the Northwestern game.

The percentage of NJ residents who "go to the shore" on LDW is likely no greater than the percentage of NJ residents who go to the shore on any other given day and is probably in the single-digit percentage range. It's a stupid reason to not schedule a game.

A better plan is to do what they've kinda been trying to do for the last few years and celebrate NJ's seaside heritage as part of game day. Done properly it could be a huge deal. Of course, we're talking about RU Athletics, here, so "done properly" is purely aspirational.

Reactions: newell138
The percentage of NJ residents who "go to the shore" on LDW is likely no greater than the percentage of NJ residents who go to the shore on any other given day and is probably in the single-digit percentage range. It's a stupid reason to not schedule a game.

A better plan is to do what they've kinda been trying to do for the last few years and celebrate NJ's seaside heritage as part of game day. Done properly it could be a huge deal. Of course, we're talking about RU Athletics, here, so "done properly" is purely aspirational.
Disagree. That’s the same thing as saying people don’t have BBQ parties any more often on Independence Day.

Undoubtedly, more go to the beach on Labor Day weekend than on other days. First, there’s an extra day. Second, it’s the unofficial last chance in summer before school starts. Many see it as the last opportunity.

I also don’t buy the ‘seashore heritage celebration’ wisdom. I’ll guess more than half the P5 are in coastal states and while our stadium is closer to the coast than most (but not all) it’s nothing notable and not worth highlighting. Nobody will come to the game because there’s a silly boat in place of the cannon and to hear local bands cover Flock of Seagulls tunes.

If the team was any good the stadium would be packed on Xmas morning. No promotion gimmicks work for bad teams.

Lately LDW is pretty quiet down here

I am cool with all of that for a Friday night game.

A day game, like this year, is kinda “eh” IMO for that kind of thing.

Reactions: RU4Real
I am cool with all of that for a Friday night game.

A day game, like this year, is kinda “eh” IMO for that kind of thing.
I might have hit a Friday night game and headed to the Pa. mountains after. Not aborting the whole weekend for it though.

I might have hit a Friday night game and headed to the Pa. mountains after. Not aborting the whole weekend for it though.
I’ll be there with my wife and probably 8 other friends in my season ticket group but I’d much prefer a Saturday late afternoon tilt or night game for LDW

It’s an important conference game and us fans can help make an impact

Reactions: JCin128
I’ll be there with my wife and probably 8 other friends in my season ticket group but I’d much prefer a Saturday late afternoon tilt or night game for LDW

It’s an important conference game and us fans can help make an impact
Being a conference game is the reason it sucks to miss it.
Getting a divorce over bailing on the weekend would definitely suck worse though!😂😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT