ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Pike

Dpgru

All Conference
Jan 17, 2015
I was watching the game and late in the second half the announcers were saying how in the BIG you have to beat the teams you are supposed to beat. And RU was doing just that today. I couldn’t help but remember that it was not too long ago when we were not supposed to beat anyone. I don’t know if Pike is the coach who gets us a BIG or an NC championship but the job he has done turning RU into a legitimate BIG team Has been remarkable. I thank him for that. I know there are many on this board who are highly critical of him but, as for me, I love the guy.

I was watching the game and late in the second half the announcers were saying how in the BIG you have to beat the teams you are supposed to beat. And RU was doing just that today. I couldn’t help but remember that it was not too long ago when we were not supposed to beat anyone. I don’t know if Pike is the coach who gets us a BIG or an NC championship but the job he has done turning RU into a legitimate BIG team Has been remarkable. I thank him for that. I know there are many on this board who are highly critical of him but, as for me, I love the guy.
Been with pike from the beginning. Through the thick n thin. I’ll always support him he’s gotten us through a ton of “first time Rutgers has done” throughout his coaching career here. All he needs to implement is recruiting and he has everything a great coach possesses.

no one desevered any criticism for how we played in November.. not the coaches, not the players, not the beat writers hyping us... only the fans critical of how things were going are NOW worthy of criticism.... apparently

Reactions: SantaFeScarlet
no one desevered any criticism for how we played in November.. not the coaches, not the players, not the beat writers hyping us... only the fans critical of how things were going are NOW worthy of criticism.... apparently
Not sure I get your point here. Of course there were things to criticize in those game. But calling Pike a liar, calling for him to be fired, essentially trashing him as several posters did went way beyond criticism.

Not sure I get your point here. Of course there were things to criticize in those game. But calling Pike a liar, calling for him to be fired, essentially trashing him as several posters did went way beyond criticism.
True. But why make that EVERYTHING? Why call it out NOW? Why not just chalk it up to disappointment and lack of self-control and a sense of proportion? Let them vent and move on. Take a cue from RHJ when he said the shenanigans at the end of the Michigan game was no big deal. It was just the words of upset fans... who had seen some rock-bottom "basketball".

Reactions: SantaFeScarlet
True. But why make that EVERYTHING? Why call it out NOW? Why not just chalk it up to disappointment and lack of self-control and a sense of proportion? Let them vent and move on. Take a cue from RHJ when he said the shenanigans at the end of the Michigan game was no big deal. It was just the words of upset fans... who had seen some rock-bottom "basketball".

Because. As bad as they were, fans gave Pikiell NO benefit of the doubt. Nothing. The guy has lifted boulders here and people could not wait to jump all over him. The start of the season was rough and bad basketball and it may end up hurting us but Pikiell deserves the benefit of the doubt after the past two seasons and the way it read here it seemed like people couldn’t wait to get all over him. That’s why.

Last edited:
Because. As bad as they were, fans gave Pikiell NO benefit of the doubt. Nothing. The guy has lifted boulders here and people could not wait to jump all of him. The start of the season was rough and bad basketball and it may end up hurting us but Pikiell deserves the benefit of the doubt after the past two seasons and the way it read here it seemed like people couldn’t wait to get all over him. That’s why.
VERY FEW FANS did that. The non-fan posers piled on, of course, as usual. But most sane people never took that "fire Pike" crap seriously. Let em vent.

Did you see what I did above with RU#s? He is piling on the negative posters called out by Carino and others here so I just thought.. well, what was RU#s saying when we lost to Lafayette. I searched his posts from around Nov 22... and, sure enough, he was piling on with the criticisms too.. with one lone positive post where he said he cannot believe we are that bad at threes... something many here agreed with.

I don't mean to single him out because it took a lunatic to think all was well after seeing those games in November. All was NOT WELL. ALL SUCKED. And guess what.. fans knew it, the players knew it.. the coaches knew it. That some fans said it.. perfectly understandable.

But this calling it out now that things are going well... that's some BS. Carino shouldn't have done it and fans here shouldn't be doing it. That's my opinion of it anyway.

VERY FEW FANS did that. The non-fan posers piled on, of course, as usual. But most sane people never took that "fire Pike" crap seriously. Let em vent.

Did you see what I did above with RU#s? He is piling on the negative posters called out by Carino and others here so I just thought.. well, what was RU#s saying when we lost to Lafayette. I searched his posts from around Nov 22... and, sure enough, he was piling on with the criticisms too.. with one lone positive post where he said he cannot believe we are that bad at threes... something many here agreed with.

I don't mean to single him out because it took a lunatic to think all was well after seeing those games in November. All was NOT WELL. ALL SUCKED. And guess what.. fans knew it, the players knew it.. the coaches knew it. That some fans said it.. perfectly understandable.

But this calling it out now that things are going well... that's some BS. Carino shouldn't have done it and fans here shouldn't be doing it. That's my opinion of it anyway.

You understand the fringe and very loud posters were who Carino was going after right? Critical is fine but the fringe posters are the loud ones and that’s what stuck out.

The LIAR post. The KENPOM post. Yes it’s a message board or a comments section on OTB (#KennyPaynetoRutgera) but it’s noticed and not right. That’s all. There are people who don’t like Pike and they couldn’t wait for him to slip up. It’s not the regular run of the mill “I can’t believe how bad this team is right now” that Carino was talking about.

You understand the fringe and very loud posters were who Carino was going after right?
Nonsense... this is what Carino said:

The Scarlet Knights already were buried by much of their own fan base this season after losing to Lafayette, UMass and DePaul. More than a few lunatics on message boards and social media wanted Pikiell fired, McConnell nailed to the bench and Baker put on an express train back to New Hampshire. They retroactively lumped the credit for last season’s NCAA Tournament breakthrough on guys who transferred out in the offseason.​
It was unnecessary to write it at all and unnecessary to use such general terms as MUCH, MORE THAN A FEW and THEY.. in order to spread as wide a net as possible.

And WHY? To feel better that he NEVER GAVE UP.. without any offer of proof that he was backing the coaches and players?

Same thing for posters here calling out the few... none of them can show their overall votes of confidence from Nov 22 until out next victory.. why not? Because NO ONE WAS CONFIDENT.. NO ONE COULD TRUST based on what we had all seen.

But trust is being rebuilt now. I just wish the holier-than-thou'rs would give it a rest.

Pike and the players did not play well early and warranted the critical comments.

There are segments of every fan base that are just negative or looking to toss something out there, to say they were the first one to say it, or I told you last year, etc.

What I actually find disappointing is when things go well, the place is a ghost town....the board doesn't pop with crazy nonsense.....it becomes unreadable.....and if you offer a mention of common sense, you then are called a Pollyanna or Scarlet Colored glasses etc...

The other thing also revolves around recruiting and "Pike has to hit the transfer portal".....LMAO.....

Recruiting is really about player development and finding pieces that fit your system. I can only say so many times how much I like Hyatt and Jones and those 2 have talent......I think Derek Simpson is a player that if he played in the Parochials of Northern NJ, he would be a Top 100-125 type of player.

It does not mean everything is fixed because we beat Michigan and Nebraska.....

But you can see a path for Hyatt developing into a starter down the road.....we have one of the more talented frosh offensive players in a decade in terms of RU in Jaden Jones, and he hasn't beaten out the upperclassmen for minutes, so some fans are saying he's not good.....LMAO.....

Pike has some work to do with recruiting for 2022 and 2023, but there appears to be not as much "panic", if we get developing pieces like Mag, Jones, Hyatt and if Reiber can be a face up 4/5 on offense.

Do we have concerns with Jalen Miller beyond his defense....?? Sure, but I think his offense or perimeter shot can be fixed.....

Do I have concerns about Jaden Jones on defense or getting into the mix for rebounds?? Sure, but I'm confident that can be fixed as well.

Once you remove Mulcahy from the primary PG spot and place him back on the wing, as long as Caleb can handle the ball and help Geo, this roster is a little tricky to prepare for as an opponent......with so many 6'5 to 6'6 players, there are times where opponents lose track of Harper Jr......a lot of players are interchangeable and it creates problems, as long as Mulcahy is aggressive and looking to score.

Give credit for the staff and sticking with Reiber.....not bailing on Hyatt......sticking with McConnell when he was really struggling.....

If the staff can carve out a role for Jones and if Jones pays attention to detail on the defensive side of the ball, by watching film of the opponents, RU has a chance to be very dangerous.....if Jones can defend, his offense will allow him to score and offset whatever he may give up on defense.

Good, I think you confused this thread with a post in the “could this be Pike’s best team“ thread. RU#s posted over there, not here. Of course none of these statements apply to everyone. The only time everyone here agrees on the same thing is when they agree to disagree. My thoughts in the OP were nothing more than a thank you to Pike for what he has done here and I believe that much of the criticism at he beginning of the season was over the top and unjustified. Yes, the team played badly and there were things that weren’t going well and needed to be fixed. That kind of criticism was totally justified but many of the attacks were not.

Because. As bad as they were, fans gave Pikiell NO benefit of the doubt. Nothing. The guy has lifted boulders here and people could not wait to jump all of him. The start of the season was rough and bad basketball and it may end up hurting us but Pikiell deserves the benefit of the doubt after the past two seasons and the way it read here it seemed like people couldn’t wait to get all over him. That’s why.
Some posters here are just not very good people as far as I can tell. They'll be back if we stumble.

Pike and the players did not play well early and warranted the critical comments.

There are segments of every fan base that are just negative or looking to toss something out there, to say they were the first one to say it, or I told you last year, etc.

What I actually find disappointing is when things go well, the place is a ghost town....the board doesn't pop with crazy nonsense.....it becomes unreadable.....and if you offer a mention of common sense, you then are called a Pollyanna or Scarlet Colored glasses etc...

The other thing also revolves around recruiting and "Pike has to hit the transfer portal".....LMAO.....

Recruiting is really about player development and finding pieces that fit your system. I can only say so many times how much I like Hyatt and Jones and those 2 have talent......I think Derek Simpson is a player that if he played in the Parochials of Northern NJ, he would be a Top 100-125 type of player.

It does not mean everything is fixed because we beat Michigan and Nebraska.....

But you can see a path for Hyatt developing into a starter down the road.....we have one of the more talented frosh offensive players in a decade in terms of RU in Jaden Jones, and he hasn't beaten out the upperclassmen for minutes, so some fans are saying he's not good.....LMAO.....

Pike has some work to do with recruiting for 2022 and 2023, but there appears to be not as much "panic", if we get developing pieces like Mag, Jones, Hyatt and if Reiber can be a face up 4/5 on offense.

Do we have concerns with Jalen Miller beyond his defense....?? Sure, but I think his offense or perimeter shot can be fixed.....

Do I have concerns about Jaden Jones on defense or getting into the mix for rebounds?? Sure, but I'm confident that can be fixed as well.

Once you remove Mulcahy from the primary PG spot and place him back on the wing, as long as Caleb can handle the ball and help Geo, this roster is a little tricky to prepare for as an opponent......with so many 6'5 to 6'6 players, there are times where opponents lose track of Harper Jr......a lot of players are interchangeable and it creates problems, as long as Mulcahy is aggressive and looking to score.

Give credit for the staff and sticking with Reiber.....not bailing on Hyatt......sticking with McConnell when he was really struggling.....

If the staff can carve out a role for Jones and if Jones pays attention to detail on the defensive side of the ball, by watching film of the opponents, RU has a chance to be very dangerous.....if Jones can defend, his offense will allow him to score and offset whatever he may give up on defense.
Good post except when we are good this board was popping recently not a ghost town at all. We looked great today and there are tons of new threads

Are we really going to have read these kind of threads after every win....or every loss

The constant calling out of posters or fanbase is negative and evil is insane......a very small number of posters posted really bad things...yet we keep hearing our media AMPLYFING nonsense about ALL OF THIS MESSAGE BOARD who turned on Pike blah blah blah. Look we ALL got analysis and stuff wrong, its a message board, it happens all the time.

guess what..we were AWFUL, early on, we almost lost to Lehigh and lost to some shit ass team Lafayette and then lost to to bad teams as well as being annihilated by Illinois

Yes we are a completely different team now but its revisionist history to say WE ALL KNEW WHAT WAS COMING and we are better than these other posters for being negative.. If RU loses the next couple of games, no one wants the negatoids coming in and saying SEE I TOLD YOU SO...that does not make for a fun board

GUESS WHAT, WE ARE ALL RUTGERS FANS HERE....LETS ENJOY THIS GREAT TURNAROUND NOW INSTEAD OF FIGHTING AND GIVING THE MEDIA ITS CLICKS

Notice that most of the really negative posters are not here posting,, why are you are worried so much about these people.

LET US MOVE ON FROM THIS

Nonsense... this is what Carino said:

The Scarlet Knights already were buried by much of their own fan base this season after losing to Lafayette, UMass and DePaul. More than a few lunatics on message boards and social media wanted Pikiell fired, McConnell nailed to the bench and Baker put on an express train back to New Hampshire. They retroactively lumped the credit for last season’s NCAA Tournament breakthrough on guys who transferred out in the offseason.​
It was unnecessary to write it at all and unnecessary to use such general terms as MUCH, MORE THAN A FEW and THEY.. in order to spread as wide a net as possible.

And WHY? To feel better that he NEVER GAVE UP.. without any offer of proof that he was backing the coaches and players?

Same thing for posters here calling out the few... none of them can show their overall votes of confidence from Nov 22 until out next victory.. why not? Because NO ONE WAS CONFIDENT.. NO ONE COULD TRUST based on what we had all seen.

But trust is being rebuilt now. I just wish the holier-than-thou'rs would give it a rest.
Nah, the victory lap is fully deserved. Sorry if it hurts the Pike haters’ feelings

This^^^^^^^^^

Are we really going to have read these kind of threads after every win....or every loss

The constant calling out of posters or fanbase is negative and evil is insane......a very small number of posters posted really bad things...yet we keep hearing our media AMPLYFING nonsense about ALL OF THIS MESSAGE BOARD who turned on Pike blah blah blah. Look we ALL got analysis and stuff wrong, its a message board, it happens all the time.

guess what..we were AWFUL, early on, we almost lost to Lehigh and lost to some shit ass team Lafayette and then lost to to bad teams as well as being annihilated by Illinois

Yes we are a completely different team now but its revisionist history to say WE ALL KNEW WHAT WAS COMING and we are better than these other posters for being negative.. If RU loses the next couple of games, no one wants the negatoids coming in and saying SEE I TOLD YOU SO...that does not make for a fun board

GUESS WHAT, WE ARE ALL RUTGERS FANS HERE....LETS ENJOY THIS GREAT TURNAROUND NOW INSTEAD OF FIGHTING AND GIVING THE MEDIA ITS CLICKS

Notice that most of the really negative posters are not here posting,, why are you are worried so much about these people.

LET US MOVE ON FROM THIS
Agree, but in this case, we’re doing this to ourselves more than the media. I have never seen so much BS over one graph in a column.

BS...its one thing to say the team is playing like crap

Its another thing to say pike should be fired and that he's reached his ceiling, blah blah blah

There is a vocal minority on these boards who come out from under their rocks when things go even slightly bad and they make these boards unreadable. They generate A TON of threads on a host of issues.

Hell, there's one guy who posted 2 years in a row that we wouldn't go to the tournament. And he was wrong (obviously), both times. When things go bad, he STILL insists he was right on a technicality

Look, Pikes not perfect, but the crazy town this place becomes whenever we hit a speed-bump is fkng embarrassing

And along with #s, there are a bunch of us having to *try* and bring perspective when things aren't going well.

That cohort is a pretty small minority too. Many may agree with the positive outlook but remain relatively silent. They may not be vocal but remain patient to see how things play out before either criticizing or praising.
Very small. However, they are pretty much all here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT