ADVERTISEMENT

The bold, new college basketball flex scheduling model that would bring big nonconference games into February

Seems like a good idea. I note that the 6 power conferences would not be included.

Zero percent chance this happens. Absolutely no way the P6 signs off.

Why would bubble teams want to play each other so close to selection Sunday?

Wouldn't they want to rack up wins against easier competition?
Maybe I'm overly risk-adverse but I wouldn't want to actively sign up for a potential loss that could hurt my resume.

I would LOVE to see this happen with the power 6 conferences ….
I get what you're saying but there's no power 6 in basketball.

It's not like football where a team can literally go undefeated, win its conference championship and not get to play in the college football playoff.

Every conference champion gets an opportunity to compete for a national championship in basketball.

Which is exactly why I think they are going to fight it. They wouldn’t want the low and mid majors to get a leg up on them.
I don’t think it’s as much of a leg up as you think. Half the teams that participate are going to lose which hurts their positioning. Of the winners, how many will actually be adding to their resume a win over a tourney team?

The last non-Power 6 school to win the NCAA…UTEP in 1966.

Maybe Marquette in 1977 since they weren’t in the Big East yet.

It exists.

Who will pay for this. Besides about 24 schools the other 80-90 or so schools would be irrelevant
It's not additional games. UAB played Morehead State in November and Saint Louis in December, who "paid" for that? It's just creating more games like that and shifting them to February.

Besides the top games it's going to be regional. So Lehigh would play like Morgan State and Sacred Heart, they wouldn't be shipped off to play UT Rio Grande Valley.

Presumably they'd get the top games on TV somewhere to support it financially as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT