ADVERTISEMENT

Who is likely to become the new Penn State Head Basketball Coach?

30 to 35 years ago, Miami was the 9th team in the Big East and finished last every year and got laughed at by BC, Providence, Seton Hall and others because it was a football school, playing in a high level basketball conference.

It took awhile for Miami to build an on campus arena and take some of their money made from Football and dedicate some of it to basketball. With Larranaga as HC, I could argue Miami is a Top 4 program in the current Big East today, passing by Georgetown, St John's, Seton Hall, Syracuse. BC, Providence and Pitt, all these original BE programs.

RU is going to be on that launch up.....

PSU has never cared about basketball on a Tuesday night in January or February. In a way, because they're not near Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, it takes a LONG drive from anyone wanting to watch a game there, when you can go right near RU and be here within an hour or 90 minutes from NYC or Philly.

PSU is a good Athletic Director away from fixing this, but the cult at PSU is way too strong to overcome. They will obsess over the 3rd string QB more than this HC hire, but who knows.

To be fair, they would have danced in 2019-20, if not for the pandemic and had 4 to 5 Top 150 type kids funneled from Philadelphia and elsewhere that had a Geo Baker, RHJ, Mathis, Myles Johnson etc impact, in Tony Carr, Lamar Stephens, Mike Watkins, Dredd and Lundy.....they also had legitimate guards that they lost after Chambers got fired.

They're probably going to take a dip, like Minnesota did after they lost Pitino Jr. Maybe not kenpom 225 to 250 range, but they need a younger, hungry coach to keep up.

Texas interim coach, Rodney Perry keeps popping up on Twitter as having interest in this job, even though he's in the Sweet 16 and could land in the Final Four, with a good weekend. Will Texas keep Terry?? Who knows....

I'm thinking Drake's HC Darian DeVries might be had for the right price
122–48 (.718) in 5 years.
Also someone mentioned Urgo, Fordham's HC, who was an assistant at PSU
for 9 years and was 25-7 in first shot as a HC last season.
Might be a good gamble.

What does one have to do with the other? I agree that RU isn’t a bball destination either but a lot has changed in the last 4-5 years. It’s getting very close to being one … a lot closer than PSU.
Rutgers was a powerhouse in the late 70's and early 80's but made a fatal mistake by not joining the initial Big East. Rutgers is returning to that basketball tradition.

Alabama, and Texas before them, proved what a football-centric school can do if they direct their resources towards basketball. If a coach came to Happy Valley and woke up the fan base, they could will/spend their way to long-term success. They have financial resources that many schools don’t, even many P5 schools.

I believe Shrewsberry would’ve gotten them there in another 3-5 years. He’d have to essentially start over next year given the returning roster, but it would be from a much better place than when Pike arrived in NJ in 2016.

I’m open to being wrong about this, but given the examples already set, it seems like hoops success is there for the taking for them.
I would be surprised if Penn State did not offer Shrewsbury a lucrative contract to stay at Penn State.

He probably left because of the Penn State culture and felt he could take Notre Dame farther/faster in the ACC.
The Big Ten is a tough conference top-to-bottom and Penn State is close to the bottom of the league basketball destination list for recruits.

Whoever it is better kill it in the portal.

Otherwise PSU joins Minnesota as early favorites for first team to enter the B1G morgue next season

Alabama, and Texas before them, proved what a football-centric school can do if they direct their resources towards basketball. ...
That's a bit of an odd way of looking at it.

It is more like a couple national championships in football creating such a sports-fervor that there is plenty of money and support for basketball leftover. And for Texas... well... sports fervor and support was always there. It is not like they ever cheaper out on basketball.

But will Penn State pay the big bucks? if so.. why didn't they keep Micah? I always thought JoePA and the football crowd didn't want competition from basketball. But he's gone. If they don't pay out for a big name.. I'd guess its the football boosters calling teh shots.

During GS first run here we saw basketball-first fans bemoaning how Mulcahy was supporting football and GS rather than basketball. There was definitely a perceived bias and some ill-will aimed at football from basketball-first fans.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Whoever it is better kill it in the portal.

Otherwise PSU joins Minnesota as early favorites for first team to enter the B1G morgue next season
Good. B1G schedule is so brutal you need to have a couple you can count on as basement dwellers but just need to not let them be landmines.

Put the FAU HC in the mix.
I doubt Dusty May will be there next year and PSU might be the one that grabs him

Good. B1G schedule is so brutal you need to have a couple you can count on as basement dwellers but just need to not let them be landmines.
B1G bottom dwellers will always be dangerous landmines. Minnesota this year is par for the course. Then there’s also teams that look like utter crap early and then come to life later in the season, like Nebraska each of the last two years (especially this year). Outside of one Eddie Jordan season, that’s been the case for years. No sure things in the B1G.

I'd be willing to bet if you polled Rutgers students on people they know from high school that went to Penn State more than 75% would say, "Yeah, that kid was one of the biggest douche nozzles in my class".
30068683-2472680larry-the-cable-guy-funny.jpg

1byb2q.jpg

Reactions: RU-AGK
His new team lost 4 seniors and three xfers. And might return one guy with any significant PT

Yes and he just signed a healthy contract that will buy him time that might not have had at PSU. Also, PSU apparently wasn’t willing to come up with the NIL money he’ll have available to him at ND

What does one have to do with the other? I agree that RU isn’t a bball destination either but a lot has changed in the last 4-5 years. It’s getting very close to being one … a lot closer than PSU.
Would hate to see Fordham lose Urgo. They've been through as many bad hires as RU, then as soon as they get a decent guy somebody might scoop him away. He is definitely putting in the work in the Bronx. I think he is more suited for a small Catholic urban school without too much by the way of expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT