ADVERTISEMENT

The Friggin rotations

Caleb is our third leading scorer since being put back in the starting lineup once Geo was injured. He's also our 3rd leading rebounder in B1G games and 2nd in assists in B1G games.

I thought the contention was about rotations. Geo and Caleb are both going to play 26+ per game. Not sure it matters who starts. The "rotations" aren't changing if Geo starts or Caleb starts. Paul is still coming in with Young and Geo/Caleb at the 5 or 6 minute mark (or so), Carter for Myles at around 7 or 8 (barring foul trouble), Harper back in for Yeboah around 9 or 10 .... the rotation doesn't change whether Geo or Caleb start.

Yes the exactly right. The conversation is about rotations/pairings. The staring lineup is a bad lineup combination. You can’t have McConnell and Tez paired together with no other guard.

It’s about minutes and who plays together within those minutes.

If Geo is paired with McConnnell more, or just not trotted out with Young AND Mulcahy, then that will help.

Keep in mind when Geo plays 30 minutes we are 2-2 in P5 play. When Geo is out or plays less than 30 minutes we are 7-4 in P5 play.

Im not saying just one thing. I’m not saying Geo can’t play 30 minutes (although I think there are alternatives to doing so). I’m saying for sure he can’t play 30 minutes with the lineup combinations Pike uses.

Caleb imo needs to move back to his role of the 6th man. We were hot when he was coming off the bench because he brings a spark if this start slow.

We don't "out talent" teams and we don't "out athletic" teams. We out work everyone. Everyone. And to do that Coach needs to be fluid and aggressive in his rotations. There is not much room for error.

Our rotations are based on the premise that to play the way we need to play to WIN GAMES 9 guys are going to have to play 15+ minutes a night. Embrace it. It is why we win. It is how we are still able, 24 games in to the season, to dominate the glass, to be aggressive on defense, etc. etc.

To play this way sometimes you are going to force minutes. But over a 30 game season and certainly thru 24 thus far, the way Coach doles minutes is one of the main factors as to why we are where we are.
someone gets it...

Yes the exactly right. The conversation is about rotations/pairings. The staring lineup is a bad lineup combination. You can’t have McConnell and Tez paired together with no other guard.

It’s about minutes and who plays together within those minutes.

If Geo is paired with McConnnell more, or just not trotted out with Young AND Mulcahy, then that will help.

Keep in mind when Geo plays 30 minutes we are 2-2 in P5 play. When Geo is out or plays less than 30 minutes we are 7-4 in P5 play.

Im not saying just one thing. I’m not saying Geo can’t play 30 minutes (although I think there are alternatives to doing so). I’m saying for sure he can’t play 30 minutes with the lineup combinations Pike uses.

Caleb imo needs to move back to his role of the 6th man. We were hot when he was coming off the bench because he brings a spark if this start slow.

We are 8-5 and have played our best basketball in just about 20 years since Caleb has been inserted in to the starting lineup. The "we'd be even better if.." is just not the hill I'd want to die on.

Just my $0.02

We are 8-5 and have played our best basketball in just about 20 years since Caleb has been inserted in to the starting lineup. The "we'd be even better if.." is just not the hill I'd want to die on.

Just my $0.02

It goes without saying it’s been a great year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT