ADVERTISEMENT

The NCAA will allow athletes to be compensated for their names, images and likenesses in a major shi

Greene Rice FIG

Hall of Famer
Dec 30, 2005
The NCAA will allow athletes to be compensated for their names, images and likenesses in a major shift for the organization

not good.......

Think it’s smart of the NCAA to actually get out in front of this. The political tides were clearly shifting on the issue and it would’ve created an even greater competitive disparity to have only certain states allowing players to profit

Reactions: kcg88
Had to be done. Not like Rutgers and Kentucky are on a level playing field as it is now, so I don't think this changes too much.

16 or so team superconference of athletic departments that can support themselves while playing players.

In 2034 college athletics will look SO different than it does.....especially football

NO!!!!!

Just give athletes the ability to be professionals at any age. If they want to make $ playing sports let them......just not in college.

I agree with this. There should be no age restrictions.

I also think people are overestimating how much money there's going to be here. Everyone makes the used car dealer joke but I don't think there are as many of those with serious money to burn annually as people make it seem. Maybe I'm naive but I just don't think it's going to make that much of an impact. Kentucky will still be Kentucky, and Oregon State will still be Oregon State.

Agree with kcg as this does not change much as paying players has already been apart of college sports for a long time. Rutgers already is behind the power teams and this does not expand the gap at all.

Agree with kcg as this does not change much as paying players has already been apart of college sports for a long time. Rutgers already is behind the power teams and this does not expand the gap at all.
Sure it does. Let's say an alum with a business from psu, a team we can catch suddenly says you know what, I want to be good in basketball. So I'm going to start paying them for commercials or paid appearances at my business. Suddenly recruiting takes off and your school is left in the dust. It's all legal now thanks to the NCAA. The game will now become what's the going rate for a 4 star center.

Reactions: JDNB
Sure it does. Let's say an alum with a business from psu, a team we can catch suddenly says you know what, I want to be good in basketball. So I'm going to start paying them for commercials or paid appearances at my business. Suddenly recruiting takes off and your school is left in the dust. It's all legal now thanks to the NCAA. The game will now become what's the going rate for a 4 star center.

If somebody was interested in doing that they weren't sitting on their hands until the NCAA made it legal.

Dude, this exact scenario has happened for the last 50+ years. How do you think Penn St. hockey became a top program overnight? Why do you think Naz Reid commited to LSU after one visit? Why is Clemson all the sudden a recruiting power? Jeff Capel comes into Duke and all the sudden they start beating UK for all the one and dones after years of Coach K bashing it. UNLV in the 90s. I could go on and on.

You can actually make the case that this closes the gap to an extent because with open information players will understand their worth and the "ethical" programs that were not doing this in the past can now participate. I'm sure NCAA will cap how much players can earn so really what this does is allows those 99% of athletes that aren't going pro to be able to earn some income while they have their full time jobs of being a division 1 athlete

Lots of “old school” fans will count themselves out. Younger fans happy with the “new way” will replace them. There is no way to regulate these compensation changes. It will turn into a free-for-all. Coaching staffs will now require financial analysts as well as offensive and defensive analysts.

Reactions: JDNB
Lots of “old school” fans will count themselves out. Younger fans happy with the “new way” will replace them. There is no way to regulate these compensation changes. It will turn into a free-for-all. Coaching staffs will now require financial analysts as well as offensive and defensive analysts.
Oh trust me I'm sure the NCAA will find a way to regulate (aka skim off the top)

hopefully, there is more $ in the NY-NJ area to pay RU players--we are the capital of the financial world

Reactions: RutgersMO
I agree with this. There should be no age restrictions.

I also think people are overestimating how much money there's going to be here. Everyone makes the used car dealer joke but I don't think there are as many of those with serious money to burn annually as people make it seem. Maybe I'm naive but I just don't think it's going to make that much of an impact. Kentucky will still be Kentucky, and Oregon State will still be Oregon State.

It’s not used cars. It is brand new ones. Like Nissan Pathfinders

Only positive is that nothing will be secret. If the NCAA is going to look the other way we might as well know what the asking price is.

#wolfpackpaysdoublefortwins
#yellowjacketshavegreen

Last edited:
hopefully, there is more $ in the NY-NJ area to pay RU players--we are the capital of the financial world

No one cares about Rutgers basketball (at least right now). This would force us to fish froM the not need $ pond in recruiting

......which could be a blessing in disguise

Dude, this exact scenario has happened for the last 50+ years. How do you think Penn St. hockey became a top program overnight? Why do you think Naz Reid commited to LSU after one visit? Why is Clemson all the sudden a recruiting power? Jeff Capel comes into Duke and all the sudden they start beating UK for all the one and dones after years of Coach K bashing it. UNLV in the 90s. I could go on and on.

You can actually make the case that this closes the gap to an extent because with open information players will understand their worth and the "ethical" programs that were not doing this in the past can now participate. I'm sure NCAA will cap how much players can earn so really what this does is allows those 99% of athletes that aren't going pro to be able to earn some income while they have their full time jobs of being a division 1 athlete
Here's what's going to happen, college basketball will come down to who can secure the most advertisement dollars for their players. Once the initial income numbers are reported recruits will know where to flock to. Then the top 25 will simply be a reflection of that. Basically the Nike's of the world will determine who's good and who's bad. Before they had to sneak around, yes I know the NCAA did nothing but it was still illegal. Now they can boast about the teams they sponsor in plain view.

My questions, how can you cap someone's worth if you're going to say they can make money off their likeness? You can't, their worth is their worth this isn't a team players salary cap situation, it's an individuals right. How can you prevent performance pay? How can you prevent kids from going to a school on the promise of huge advertisement dollars? It can't be regulated but somehow the NCAA thinks they can. It's going to turn into a sh*tshow.

What should have happened is the NCAA should have said you can go professional at any age and make all the money you want. If you choose college you're an amateur. We have now put the ball in your court. If the NFL and NBA says you can't, go sue them.

I think this is going to help us...somewhere from a little bit to A LOT

We don’t play the bag man game in basketball recruiting ...and we are really handicapped by it. It’s clear that we have lost four star types because we don’t play this game

We are in the media center of the WORLD.

Having our program be able to legitimately work out a program for our student athletes to within the rules to benefit here...especially Where we aren’t providing the bag man benefits that many are/..helps our basketball program out this disadvantage ...even this out some ...

Being in media center of the world helps with a high ceiling.....

Creighton gets 16,000 fans per game. In the community I’ll bet people know Creightons Geo Baker more than the tri state knows Geo Baker

Zion could have signed a $10,000,000 contract with Nike

Yep. At Oregon.

Curious to see how the relationship between the major footwear/apparel companies and recruits changes. You have to think the marriage between Under Armour and UM just got much more interesting. Easy sell to a 5-Star recruit. Lucrative UA ad/print/whatever campaigns with said recruit, if he/she signs with Maryland.

Here's what's going to happen, college basketball will come down to who can secure the most advertisement dollars for their players. Once the initial income numbers are reported recruits will know where to flock to. Then the top 25 will simply be a reflection of that. Basically the Nike's of the world will determine who's good and who's bad. Before they had to sneak around, yes I know the NCAA did nothing but it was still illegal. Now they can boast about the teams they sponsor in plain view.

My questions, how can you cap someone's worth if you're going to say they can make money off their likeness? You can't, their worth is their worth this isn't a team players salary cap situation, it's an individuals right. How can you prevent performance pay? How can you prevent kids from going to a school on the promise of huge advertisement dollars? It can't be regulated but somehow the NCAA thinks they can. It's going to turn into a sh*tshow.

What should have happened is the NCAA should have said you can go professional at any age and make all the money you want. If you choose college you're an amateur. We have now put the ball in your court. If the NFL and NBA says you can't, go sue them.
I agree with your first 2 paragraphs (allowing this will turn college sports into a sh$tshow).

But I don't think its the NCAA that says that players cant turn pro, its the professional sports leagues. The NBA/NFL/MLB all have their own rules that govern when a player can be drafted. Elite players CHOOSE to go to college because it is their best option in terms of playing their game, they aren't forced to go/stay by the NCAA.

Having our program be able to legitimately work out a program for our student athletes to within the rules to benefit here...especially Where we aren’t providing the bag man benefits that many are/..helps our basketball program out this disadvantage ...even this out some ...
It is not like bag men are going to suddenly stop what they're doing.

Also I wouldn't bet the house on being in the No. 1 media market will be a difference maker. Much competition for those dollars in major cities and most of the sports dollars for image/likeness etc. will go to pro athletes.

Meanwhile in a small college town where the university is the largest employer & newborns are wrapped in a onesie with the college logo, those players are stars/heroes.

In a college town the starting college QB could easily make good coin off of a wireless company commercial or billboard. But in the No. 1 media market it's going to be the Giants QB or a Yankees player or maybe Kevin Knox.

Hell they are STILL selling Tim Tebow jerseys, not just in Gainesville but, in stores a two hour drive from Gainesville.

In Knoxville when they say "It's football time in Tennessee," they're not talking about the Titans.

The NCAA will allow athletes to be compensated for their names, images and likenesses in a major shift for the organization

not good.......

Greenie

When does this abortion start?

Is it retroactive i.e. what about images of Bo Jackson, Tim Tebow, Ryan Hart etc.?

If not retro-active could you see a series of "classic " sports (Football, Basketball...UCLA 1965-1975?)?

Just wondering.

Agree, this decision sucks.

MO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT