ADVERTISEMENT

Can/Will they modify NIL..ever?

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
I think most fans AND coaches aren’t upset about the money aspect. Athletes should be compensated.

Where it’s off the rails is the transfer rule. Plain and simple. I think in order to keep this from getting more out of control and bring some respect back to the games..

Simply reinstate some type of sit out rule if you transfer….perhaps if it’s half season. That’s fair, to all involved. Not sure it would deter some transfers, but it might.

If not, then we are in a new paradigm and not going back.

I also see many coaches LEAVE the profession because this, as we’ve already seen, because the love the development aspect and dislike coaching the “pro” athlete.

Even the remaining restriction on transferability -- that an athlete can do it only once without sitting out -- is being challenged. The U.S. Department of Justice has joined a lawsuit claiming that limit to be a violation of the antitrust laws. The NCAA has agreed to suspend the restriction for the 2023-2024 year.

https://www.si.com/fannation/name-i...oins-action-against-ncaa-transfer-rules-noah9

It's impossible to predict the future, of course, but I think we are more likely to see restrictions on the use of NIL by collectives to recruit or retain players than restrictions on transferability.

Collectives and pay for play is not remotely NIL.
NIL is not remotely pay for play.

I and I think everyone else is in favor of true NIL which includes endorsements , appearances and merchandising.

Are collectives not paying players for appearances?

How is the NIL collective any different that the Court Club?
Don't they pay the coaching staff for appearances?

Just because we aren't seeing the appearances or endorsements doesn't mean they don't happen.

Every coach and every fan at every school: "unlimited transfers is ridiculous, it's going to ruin the game"

Also every coach and every fan at every school: "we need to take the NCAA to court so that XYZ can get a waiver and be eligible this season"
Bingo.

Reactions: Scarlet Beach
I and I think everyone else is in favor of true NIL which includes endorsements , appearances and merchandising.
Not me. If a player feels that it is not worth tuition, books, meals, housing (and the chance to travel the country), they should go play professionally somewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: Geo_Baker_1
Yes
It needs to happen
And will soon

Too much $$ at stake
The integrity and longevity of the sport, and college athletics, depend on it

In the meantime, since there's almost no rules, the smart schools are taking advantage of any and every loophole - hoping that we start doing that as well

Reactions: tm_nj
Are collectives not paying players for appearances?

How is the NIL collective any different that the Court Club?
Don't they pay the coaching staff for appearances?

Just because we aren't seeing the appearances or endorsements doesn't mean they don't happen.
Does handing a high school senior a bag of money from a donor, or from a collective a donor ear marks his donation for a specific player sound like appearance fees.
He’s appearing on the field… that’s it.

Does handing a high school senior a bag of money from a donor, or from a collective a donor ear marks his donation for a specific player sound like appearance fees.
He’s appearing on the field… that’s it.

Is that what is happening with collectives?
Can you cite a source?

I’m not just going to blindly assume what is happening with collectives when I have no knowledge.

I’m sure HC Schiano has a bunch of “endorsement” deals as part of his contract to return.
I’m not assuming they are fake contracts just because I don’t see HC Schiano at the local car wash doing a meet and greet.

If Knights Of The Raritan is paying Simpson for an appearance at an event, but I’m not there. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Doesn’t mean it did either. But I’m not assuming either way.

Is that what is happening with collectives?
Can you cite a source?

I’m not just going to blindly assume what is happening with collectives when I have no knowledge.

I’m sure HC Schiano has a bunch of “endorsement” deals as part of his contract to return.
I’m not assuming they are fake contracts just because I don’t see HC Schiano at the local car wash doing a meet and greet.
I think collectives on the whole are for the retention of your players.
Obviously the better and more coveted they are, the more they demand.
Individual donor bag money I think goes to woo high school seniors with multiple options.

Last edited:
I think most fans AND coaches aren’t upset about the money aspect. Athletes should be compensated.

Where it’s off the rails is the transfer rule. Plain and simple. I think in order to keep this from getting more out of control and bring some respect back to the games..

Simply reinstate some type of sit out rule if you transfer….perhaps if it’s half season. That’s fair, to all involved. Not sure it would deter some transfers, but it might.

If not, then we are in a new paradigm and not going back.

I also see many coaches LEAVE the profession because this, as we’ve already seen, because the love the development aspect and dislike coaching the “pro” athlete.
You're several years too late with this post. However, you're sympathy for the coaches leaving is misplaced.

They all jump ship at a moments notice for a bigger pay day. They all talk about loyalty but have none to the kids they recruit when the almighty dollar is involved.

Also, let's not forget that the transfer portal was created because many of these coaches made it very difficult for players to transfer in the past. You reap what you sow.

Reactions: Fat Koko
I saw Iowa players doing tv commercials for a furniture store or matresses

whats going on here at Rutgers
The players are worthless to my business. I spent 20k on a billboard in New Brunswick that 30,000 people see a week about our brokerage. In a year that's 1.5M views. How many people would know about my business if Monangai makes a post about it on Instagram one time. It makes no sense for most businesses.

The players are worthless to my business. I spent 20k on a billboard in New Brunswick that 30,000 people see a week about our brokerage. In a year that's 1.5M views. How many people would know about my business if Monangai makes a post about it on Instagram one time. It makes no sense for most businesses.

Interesting perspective that makes a lot of sense.

I wonder what the return is for advertising at SHI Stadium.
50k people at only 7 games is 350,000 views (likely much less since there is significant cross over within that 50k).

Interesting perspective that makes a lot of sense.

I wonder what the return is for advertising at SHI Stadium.
50k people at only 7 games is 350,000 views (likely much less since there is significant cross over within that 50k).
It's probably absurd. I asked them about sponsoring a half court shot at a game and I heard 10k lol you gotta be kidding me.

If Knights Of The Raritan is paying Simpson for an appearance at an event, but I’m not there. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Doesn’t mean it did either. But I’m not assuming either way.
I don’t think the issue is that the event is fake. I’m sure it’s a real event that the player gets paid to attend. It would be stupid to trip up on something so simple. The distinction is that the event only exists in the first place as an avenue to get the player paid. It’s not an event that would organically be worth anything close to whatever is being paid.

Reactions: PaKnight
I don’t really disagree with you due to the nature of your business but you could easily pay a player say 2,000 dollars for a one time creative commercial, you run that commercial from your social media page and do multiple ad spends on it. Probably get more than 1.5 views and it costs less. Or you could get a player on your billboard, which leads to familiarity and comfort when potential clients see a Rutgers athlete and maybe they take a deeper look at what you’re offering. Looks like this business which is similar to yours is doing something with a lot of ru athletes.

I think the OP is making a valid point. The money is here, it’s not going away, it’s not a bad thing…it just needs some common sense controls. But the transfer rules are ripping the guts out of the game, forcing coaches to recruit and re-recruit the same kid multiple times. And God forbid you coach anybody hard. If the coach leaves, the player can leave without restriction. Otherwise, sit a year.

I don’t really disagree with you due to the nature of your business but you could easily pay a player say 2,000 dollars for a one time creative commercial, you run that commercial from your social media page and do multiple ad spends on it. Probably get more than 1.5 views and it costs less. Or you could get a player on your billboard, which leads to familiarity and comfort when potential clients see a Rutgers athlete and maybe they take a deeper look at what you’re offering. Looks like this business which is similar to yours is doing something with a lot of ru athletes.

Player on the billboard is actually a cool idea Geo.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I think the OP is making a valid point. The money is here, it’s not going away, it’s not a bad thing…it just needs some common sense controls. But the transfer rules are ripping the guts out of the game, forcing coaches to recruit and re-recruit the same kid multiple times. And God forbid you coach anybody hard. If the coach leaves, the player can leave without restriction. Otherwise, sit a year.
In the "real world," the equivalent to restrictions on transfer is the noncompetition clause -- a provision in an employment contract barring the employee from working for a competitor for some period of time. Without boring everyone with details, the trend in the law is to restrict or prohibit such clauses. It's not surprising the same is happening in athletics -- as I pointed out above, the Department of Justice has joined suit to invalidate even the NCAA's remaining restrictions on transfer, such as the requirement that an athlete transferring for a second time sit out a year.

This morning I was paging thru shows and came across high school dance championships. Wondering when and if the girls will be recruited and offered NIL.

The ability to transfer is a big component to why players get paid too much
Do they get paid too much? The get a market based compensation for a skill they developed from years of hard work. Good for them. But like the NBA, MLB and NFL, rules are needed to maintain market factors but also reduce player movement. A balance can be found like in pro leagues.

If it were up to me I would say you can transfer after freshman. Any year after that you sit out no exceptions. Do not care if you are unhappy or mom gets sick. You made the choice you stick with it.

In addition the IRS needs to take a deep dive into these marketing deals for businesses. The business should need to prove that giving money to players is actually a business expense or just a way to take the deduction and not a gift to the players.

If it were up to me I would say you can transfer after freshman. Any year after that you sit out no exceptions. Do not care if you are unhappy or mom gets sick. You made the choice you stick with it.
I don’t think anyone really likes this completely unrestricted transfer thing that is going on currently, but the courts’ position seems to be that the NCAA can’t make any rules so…

Reactions: kcg88
Just keep in mind . . while on scholarship, she could have legally made money on her NIL.
True. The original NIL logic was so much more reasonable than the current pay to play crap.
I'll never forget Greg Anthony from UNLV being forced to stop selling t shirts.

You're several years too late with this post. However, you're sympathy for the coaches leaving is misplaced.

They all jump ship at a moments notice for a bigger pay day. They all talk about loyalty but have none to the kids they recruit when the almighty dollar is involved.

Also, let's not forget that the transfer portal was created because many of these coaches made it very difficult for players to transfer in the past. You reap what you sow.
Coaches have a restriction in mobility by contract buyouts. Players have no such restriction.

Coaches have a restriction in mobility by contract buyouts. Players have no such restriction.
Those are only heavy in the first year or two of a contract. No agent is going to have his client restricted for 4-5 years by a heavy buyout. That limits their ability to earn commission on the next contract. So not a huge deal.

Those are only heavy in the first year or two of a contract. No agent is going to have his client restricted for 4-5 years by a heavy buyout. That limits their ability to earn commission on the next contract. So not a huge deal.
Not true.

Let's look at the most relevant coach to TKR posters right now, Pike. Steve's employment contract commenced in March 2016, 8 years ago.

If Pike did a buyout tomorrow, the amount is $15,000,000. If Pike chose a buyout 2 years from now, the amount would be $11,000,000.

Pike isn't going anywhere wearing these golden handcuffs.

This morning I was paging thru shows and came across high school dance championships. Wondering when and if the girls will be recruited and offered NIL.

They already are recruited. It’s like any other sport. I don’t know about NIL though.

So perhaps players could be treated like coaches -- signed to multi-year contracts with a buyout provision. Of course, that would mean compensating players. IMHO, there is no way out of free transferability that doesn't involve paying players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT