ADVERTISEMENT

The new way to build teams

Time to pony up. Unless you are elite level blue bloods, players will most likely follow the trail of freshly printed Benjamins. The highest bidders will have the best chance.

Time to pony up. Unless you are elite level blue bloods, players will most likely follow the trail of freshly printed Benjamins. The highest bidders will have the best chance.
Pony up what?😊
Are you talking about paying players for appearances and endorsements….If so I completely agree!

Last edited:
I will be a life long RU BB fan, but I look at everything a bit differently now
It would take a lot for me to now appreciate a player and his coming here, and it would be a more, after the fact appreciation, after they have stood by the program

Most of that is gone..... We have a player who cries on senior night........ Then enters the portal.....

.another who swears to stay, the family loves the program.......portal

Yet
We have graduated players who return after 45 years and get honored for their accomplishments, and four years of play

We won't see much of that anymore, it is a shame

It would take a lot for me to now appreciate a player and his coming here, and it would be a more, after the fact appreciation, after they have stood by the program

Most of that is gone..... We have a player who cries on senior night........ Then enters the portal.....

Yet
We have graduated players who return after 45 years and get honored for their accomplishments, and four years of play

This is what I will miss most about the pre-portal era — players who stay all four years, graduate, and become a lifelong part of the Rutgers Family.

Now we’ll be lucky if a player stays two years, and even then, will we think of them the same way we think of James Bailey, Eddie Jordan, Roy Hinson, Rick Dadika, Geoff Billet, Quincy Douby, Herve Lamizana, Myles Mack, Geo Baker, Ron Harper Jr., Caleb McConnell, Myles Johnson, and yes Cliff Omoruyi (who stayed 4 years)?

I suppose the players who transfer IN and stay for multiple years could still resonate, especially if they do something special. I’m thinking of former transfers-in who we all think of as Rutgers guys, like Tom Savage, Keith Hughes, Earl Duncan, Jerome Coleman, and maybe Jacob Young.

Not looking forward to seeing rosters lose 6 or more players every single year.

We have one year left of the players who had the covid bonus 5th year, so these older players will filter out after the 2024-25 season. There will still be transfers but the 23, 24 or even 25 year old players will be much less.

This is what I will miss most about the pre-portal era — players who stay all four years, graduate, and become a lifelong part of the Rutgers Family.

Now we’ll be lucky if a player stays two years, and even then, will we think of them the same way we think of James Bailey, Eddie Jordan, Roy Hinson, Rick Dadika, Geoff Billet, Quincy Douby, Herve Lamizana, Myles Mack, Geo Baker, Ron Harper Jr., Caleb McConnell, Myles Johnson, and yes Cliff Omoruyi (who stayed 4 years)?

I suppose the players who transfer IN and stay for multiple years could still resonate, especially if they do something special. I’m thinking of former transfers-in who we all think of as Rutgers guys, like Tom Savage, Keith Hughes, Earl Duncan, Jerome Coleman, and maybe Jacob Young.

Not looking forward to seeing rosters lose 6 or more players every single year.

Derek Simpson stayed 2 years and fans can't get rid of him fast enough to bring in a transfer upgrade.

No, I rather he stay for four years

Unfortunately HC Pike did not want everyone to stay.
He recruited 5 freshman for 3 open scholarships.

Regardless of how much anyone wanted to run it back with GG, Chol, Simpson, Woolf, Mag and Clif - HC Pike needed 2 of them gone.

You’re missing the point between being successful and having a team that you actually care about

We all know about NIL and I will not be helping

100% fair take and I don’t blame anyone who doesn’t believe in NIL or giving to it.

But for those that feel this way…will you also criticize Pike for poor recruiting/transfers out/lack of impact transfers in?

Reactions: needmorecowbell
100% fair take and I don’t blame anyone who doesn’t believe in NIL or giving to it.

But for those that feel this way…will you also criticize Pike for poor recruiting/transfers out/lack of impact transfers in?
This is correct. If you don’t like NIL and don’t want to contribute, that’s okay. Just don’t expect a competitive team.

Reactions: FAT MOON
It's a very fine line though . For instance Bacot got a huge nil deal and came back nowhere near as effective as he was the previous two years. Did it take away some of his competive edge who knows ? Coaches are going to really earn their money going forward.

You’re missing the point between being successful and having a team that you actually care about

We all know about NIL and I will not be helping
You don’t think UConn fans care about their team?
Those guys are worshipped up in Stoors

Thus is big time, major D1 hoops
The name of the game is winning - Period

It’s fine if you won’t be donating to NIL
I will
As will many others

And I guarantee if we start winning and raising championship banners due to NIL, you and a host of others who refuse donate will absolutely change your tune

• Wow
Reactions: RU MAN and cRURah
Pony up what?😊
Are you talking about paying players for appearances and endorsements….If so I completely agree!
Appearances and endorsement money I can see but much of the shuffling now a days will be about bidding wars for the services of players with bags of cash. If a team isnt a blue blood, attractive destination, it's going to be about the money and who will pay the most.

You don’t think UConn fans care about their team?
Those guys are worshipped up in Stoors

Thus is big time, major D1 hoops
The name of the game is winning - Period

It’s fine if you won’t be donating to NIL
I will
As will many others

And I guarantee if we start winning and raising championship banners due to NIL, you and a host of others who refuse donate will absolutely change your tune
We will care about winning, without caring about the parts, because the parts don’t care about anything but money

Reactions: knight82

I actually won’t blame any coach who cannot succeed in this new environment

He, like many coaches, was hired to sell the school, the team, the program

Now, coaches have to be used car salesmen

I would not blame Pike if he is not built that way

Last edited:
We will care about winning, without caring about the parts, because the parts don’t care about anything but money

Are the coaches included in those "parts"?
They get paid.
Do they only care about money since they are getting paid to participate?
How many of them are coaching "for the love of the game"?

HC Schiano just got a raise halfway through a 8 year contract.

They get paid.

And this is the other biggie as well!
Pike has a contract until 2030?

Exactly! Cant have it both ways.

Duh......Only our bad players should be allowed to transfer (Simpson, Jalen Miller, Chol).
Our good players shouldn't be allowed to.

Except for other teams. Their good players should be allowed to transfer to Rutgers with no restrictions

• Haha
Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Unfortunately we don’t have a tradition of winning big in any sport, ever

If we get to that point, I guarantee most people won’t care what it took or what it costs to get to that level

All that will matter is winning and continuing to win - everything else will vs a distant second to that goal

Reactions: tm_nj
Appearances and endorsement money I can see but much of the shuffling now a days will be about bidding wars for the services of players with bags of cash. If a team isnt a blue blood, attractive destination, it's going to be about the money and who will pay the most.
If you couple a bag of money with a contract that says you return the money if you enter the portal or opt out of an earned post season bowl game, I’d think about contributing.

It’s lost to you
Not to me and many others
To me, winning is what ultimately matters
Still, for many, we would hope it is more than just business
I could switch and root for pro teams if I wanted to root for players that are just bought short term
They get paid.

The coaching part was always about money, with some loyalty at times, where some coaches would stay for decades, others jump at moving up and for money

I don’t think that point furthers the issue about the problem with players
The main problem with college basketball is the constant turmoil
I contend it is not good for college basketball

They get paid.

Coaching is a chosen profession, it has nothing to do with players.
I don’t care what coaches do, they also get their walking papers on the regular.

If a coach chooses to leave, his recruited players can also leave if they choose, many of them might like the new coach more and decide to stay

NIL
If we want to be successful, we need to pay up
Feel free to do so but can't blame working folks for not doing so. NIL was intended to provide students opportunities to use their name, image and likeness to make money. It has instead just become pay to play. If you can provide that opportunity, that is great for these kids. But to ask people to flat out pay the kids to just play for the school, and that too, on a one year rental many times, that ain't college anymore. Is in fact beyond pro sports where fans don't pay direct except through ticket sales and unlike pro sports there are no contractual obligations by any of these kids.

Reactions: LETSGORU91

Yet

Make a sweet 16 or win a conference title , those players will come back and get honored. Even if they attend just 1 semester at rutgers. And we will be happy to honor them

"Hey, why isn't anyone getting blood out of that stone yet?" <--- NIL proponents in the Rutgers fanbase
You know it's only been out a short time, right?
And eventually, hopefully sometime soon, it'll be regulated (to a certain extent), right?

We get it
You don't like NIL

I, on the other hand, do
Others, like me, do

I see the benefits
I realize our potential
And I truly believe we can achieve an elite level with a proper implementation

You, and a host of others, are ok with being mediocre
I, and a plethora of others, aren't

That's the main difference
There's excuses, and then there's winning
I'll take the latter 8 days a week

Feel free to do so but can't blame working folks for not doing so. NIL was intended to provide students opportunities to use their name, image and likeness to make money. It has instead just become pay to play. If you can provide that opportunity, that is great for these kids. But to ask people to flat out pay the kids to just play for the school, and that too, on a one year rental many times, that ain't college anymore. Is in fact beyond pro sports where fans don't pay direct except through ticket sales and unlike pro sports there are no contractual obligations by any of these kids.
Respectfully, that's an excuse and always has been
NIL is $10 / month
I'd venture to say 99 % of this board can afford that

If you're against it, that's fine
Some will never adapt, and that's ok

But the whole working folks schict is old and worn out
Every fan base has fans that work
Some just want to win more than others

Still, for many, we would hope it is more than just business
I could switch and root for pro teams if I wanted to root for players that are just bought short term

The coaching part was always about money, with some loyalty at times, where some coaches would stay for decades, others jump at moving up and for money

I don’t think that point furthers the issue about the problem with players
The main problem with college basketball is the constant turmoil
I contend it is not good for college basketball
It's always been a business
Guys go where the scholarship is

I love Caleb, but he wasn't coming from Jacksonville to the Banks if we didn't offer
He wasn't a lifelong, die hard Rutgers fan that was willing to walk on to fulfill his dream of playing here

The business part of it is now much more out in the open, and without regulation of some sort, will ultimately be the demise of the sport

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT