ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL NCAA TOURNEY 2ND ROUND PREDICTION THREAD: RUTGERS-CONNECTICUT

Can you imagine the tweet they'd send to the President if they actually won? Talk about destroying brackets....

I wouldn't dream about predicting in a situation where my heart is so at odds with my head. Go heart!

UCONN will win, but I believe our ladies will fight to the end and not embarrass themselves, and still show Ms. Hancock that she and her committee NEVER should have put Rutgers in the same bracket as UCONN.

This post was edited on 3/23 12:01 AM by RU MAN

In 2005 RU beat UConn 76-62.
party0002.r191677.gif

In 2007 the Scarlet Knights won their first-ever Big East Tournament championship by beating the Huskies 55-47.
party0011.r191677.gif

So I predict Rutgers -67 Connecticut 59
party0016.r191677.gif

I cant see UCONN losing this one, you know Geno is going to have them amped for this matchup. On a side note I get that they are trying to sell tickets but the fact that some of the teams in the women's bracket have first round home games is kind of a joke. Can you imagine the outrage if Kentucky was playing their first rounds at Rupp Arena? Its kind of bush league.

I watched this team last year, and the current year. I only saw them defeated once, against Maryland! Every other defeat they had, they beat themselves. This is a very athletic team, that easily loses focus on the Offensive side of the ball, during various spans of the game. They lack 3 point shooting, only because they don't shoot 3 points. I think Laney showed this last game. The three biggies can and should score more. H plays with an edge, but lets her game lose control on D. Which, accounts for all her fouling problems. Nobody has told her that she doesn't have to block every shot to play great Defense. The games they lost were, I believe, they deserved to win, but let the big leads get away from them. I put this on coaching. Other than that, this team can beat UConn, all they have to do is play to their abilities.

When Uconn plays the only relevant issue is the margin of victory.The choices are 10-20 points, 20-30 points and 30 points or more.With a injured Rutgers squad the choices are really two or three.

Uconn 82 Rutgers 58

Originally posted by RU-JMM78:

When Uconn plays the only relevant issue is the margin of victory.The choices are 10-20 points, 20-30 points and 30 points or more.With a injured Rutgers squad the choices are really two or three.

Uconn 82 Rutgers 58
Too true - and I really wonder if other fans are as tired as I am of the fact this has been going on for the last several years.

Oh, UConn will lose a rare game or maybe a couple some seasons, but they are a juggernaut with no signs of slowing down as long as GA is there.

And while I admire the success, even some of their fans are starting to realize it may be unique (duh). Unfortunately, a lot of them still think that this is (somehow) good for the sport.

Trying to see who is playing for second place is not the fun of trying to see who is trying for a championship, in my opinion.

Posted by Doug

The only prediction I'm going to make is that this team will leave it all on the court tonight. We have a bunch of tough competitive young ladies of whom we can all be very proud. I would not trade any one of them for any player from any opposing team. Will be there in the stands cheering for them and probably shedding a tear (especially for Essy who will miss this game). Go RU!

Yeah ok... You wouldn't like to have one or two of their players?
Only on this board could there a prediction thread with 18 posts and about 5 acutal predictions.

RU had a nice year, they won an NCAA tournament game but they're gonna get drilled tonight.
Is it going to effect the game by stating the obvious?
82-54 or so.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It's like David and that other guy.

But just like David we will win.

RU 83
party0007.r191677.gif

The other guy 82

Originally posted by newell138:
. "On a side note I get that they are trying to sell tickets but the fact that some of the teams in the women's bracket have first round home games is kind of a joke. Can you imagine the outrage if Kentucky was playing their first rounds at Rupp Arena? Its kind of bush league."
It's not "kind of" bush league.....it IS bush league.
The women's game is already top heavy and now let's give the best teams two home games to start off.
Nobody is beating UConn anyway....but it's just wrong.

This post was edited on 3/23 3:30 PM by Kbee3

It's crazy, but that's the way it's always been. I don't think they even bother pretending it's fair. If the early rounds were held at truly neutral sites they could play some of the games in high school gyms.

In February 2012, an unranked St. John's team broke UCONN's 99 game home court win streak by a score of 57-56. SJU was good that year, but not spectacular. RU 57-UCONN 56.

Originally posted by Kbee3:
. "On a side note I get that they are trying to sell tickets but the fact that some of the teams in the women's bracket have first round home games is kind of a joke. Can you imagine the outrage if Kentucky was playing their first rounds at Rupp Arena? Its kind of bush league."
It's not "kind of" bush league.....it IS bush league.
The women's game is already top heavy and now let's give the best teams two home games to start off.
Nobody is beating UConn anyway....but it's just wrong.

This post was edited on 3/23 3:30 PM by Kbee3
Like it or not, it is, first, an improvement over the last however many years where the NCAA sold the right to host the first round games, resulting in higher seeded teams on lower seeded teams floors.

This is the way it used to be - top 4 seeds in each region hosted - and they changed it because of the objection that only the top 4 seeds were ever winning (duh). Went back to it to improve attendance, primarily, and avoid what I said above.

Yet, 3 of the 8 games yesterday were upsets, so it sort of knocks that argument aside, no???

They changed it from top 4 teams hosting sites when one year the Sweet 16 was 100% chalk. The year before, we were the only non-top 4 seeded team to make it to the sweet 16.

The trouble with this method was that the hotel and travel arrangements were harried and a mess. With "hosting" sites, it gives them more time to prepare the host sites of who they predict will be top 4 seeds.

Originally posted by MGSA99:
They changed it from top 4 teams hosting sites when one year the Sweet 16 was 100% chalk. The year before, we were the only non-top 4 seeded team to make it to the sweet 16.

The trouble with this method was that the hotel and travel arrangements were harried and a mess. With "hosting" sites, it gives them more time to prepare the host sites of who they predict will be top 4 seeds.
But now that it has returned to top 4 seeds hosting - which do you prefer? I prefer the top 4 as it was this year and way back when - they "earned it" as a long ago ad said.

If it was in those days - more often than not - "chalk" - I think that speaks more to the state of the game than purely the home court advantage.

Posted by Doug

I cant see UCONN losing this one, you know Geno is going to have them amped for this matchup. On a side note I get that they are trying to sell tickets but the fact that some of the teams in the women's bracket have first round home games is kind of a joke. Can you imagine the outrage if Kentucky was playing their first rounds at Rupp Arena? Its kind of bush league.
So, they played the opening rounds in Louisville instead. I'm waiting for the outroar and/or laughter to die down.

I think if RU can keep it within 20 its a major win for them and they will gain respect. The key is to eliminate the long scoring droughts that plague us and UConn will eat that apart with transition buckets...Fouling is an issue as well...I say unleash the 55 right from the get go. There is no point in holding back

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT