ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL RUTGERS-PITTSBURGH PREDICTION THREAD

Rutgers cannot lose on Schiano hiring day CHOP

Pitt shoots 25% from 3... Unless they have their breakout game we take them down
That scares me 2 fold
1. They must be good if they are doing OK despite shooting 25%
2. Reversion to the mean. No one, not even the worst shooting RU teams, shoots 25%

Reactions: kcg88
Pitt goes for 25 over their season average when we have been holding teams to well under their season average :ThumbsDown

It’s a gut feeling more than anything else. I just don’t see them shooting that low from 3 without a breakout game eventually.

We need to hit our free throws. If we somehow shoot +70% and Myles Johnson has less than 2 fouls in the first 10 minutes, I think we steal this game. Akwasi will hit some big time shots and Paul Mulcahy will make some key plays to help us get organized against a young/aggressive defense who’s prone to error. Our depth in the backcourt and length will help create turnovers and easy transition buckets.

Go RU

That scares me 2 fold
1. They must be good if they are doing OK despite shooting 25%
2. Reversion to the mean. No one, not even the worst shooting RU teams, shoots 25%
You could argue Rutgers is also due for a good 3 point shooting game. Harper is going to have a few games where he nails a bunch. Maybe the Yeboah big 3 point night? We need him tonight as I think the style of play favors his game

Another concern is our constant slow starts. If we start slow here in a blackout game, the crowd will really be into it and it would be much tougher to come back in that environment. I'm hoping the crowd will make it so the team is ready to go right from the tip in this one

You could argue Rutgers is also due for a good 3 point shooting game. Harper is going to have a few games where he nails a bunch. Maybe the Yeboah big 3 point night? We need him tonight as I think the style of play favors his game

That type of thinking doesn't jive with a glass half empty

I don't recall Yeboah even taking one vs Umass

Pitt is NOT a good offensive team:
- 65 ppg in all games (but only 62.5 in their four P5 games)
- 41% overall FG
- 25% 3-pt FG -- much worse than RU
- Their highest offensive output (other than an exhibition game against Slippery Rock) is only 72 points against Northwestern. They even struggled to score against their mid- and low-major opponents: Nicholls State (70), Robert Morris (71), Monmouth (63), and Arkansas-Pine Bluff (66).

Pitt is, however, a good defensive team:
- Opponents average 59 ppg
- Opponents average 38% overall FG
- Opponents average 36% 3-pt FG (this is NOT very good though)

So if Pitt plays their average game, they're only going to score around 63 points. I do have a fear that they break out in this game, though. So hopefully our perimeter defense is up to the task.

This will be a nail biter in a hostile environment, but I think we're ready to win, but we're going to need to force TOs and get some points in transition. Pitt will want to make this a half-court brawl.

RU 69
Pitt 63

Reactions: Scangg
Pitt is not a good offensive team shooting 25% from 3. They are a very good offensive team shooting 40% from 3.

Shooting is SUCH an importANT PART of college basketball. Teams look really good when they shoot it good and real bad when they don't.

If we defend the line we have reason to believe they will shoot it closer to 25% than 40%....so it isnt completely random.

to add we haven't taken a shot against P5 competition yet.

Our players toured heinz field and the pirates ballpark today. Whos ****ing idea is it for every god damn road game to basically let the kids tour the city before the game? Its ****ing so stupid.
Who else here visits cities and by the time 9pm rolls around youre shot and just wanna sleep? Because I know i fall into that category. Look for us to get ****ing steam rolled tonight.

pitt: 78
Ru: 61

Reactions: RUenvsci
Our players toured heinz field and the pirates ballpark today. Whos ****ing idea is it for every god damn road game to basically let the kids tour the city before the game? Its ****ing so stupid.
Who else here visits cities and by the time 9pm rolls around youre shot and just wanna sleep? Because I know i fall into that category. Look for us to get ****ing steam rolled tonight.
I get your point, but I can see it both ways. Maybe it calms the guys down, keeps them loose, and makes them feel more “at home.” We played one of our best games, especially defensively, at Miami last year in this challenge. I was at the game and I can tell you our guys were FOCUSED. Gotta give our coaches the benefit of the doubt on these decisions.

Sort of agree. They should also be focusing. It's a business trip and the team starts slow.... As for the tired part, the average age is like 20 so I don't know how tired they should be

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

It's all based on circumstantial evidence but I have a theory that our staff absolutely sucks at getting players to be at peak performance with stuff like this, sleep, and nutrition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT