ADVERTISEMENT

The only disappointment was the final score

jonS

All American
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2002
Disappointing that Rutgers lost but overall very impressed with the overall improvement of the team. This is a very well coached , disciplined team that never gives up till the final whistle. No stupid penalties on either side of the ball , especially none of the pre-snap penalties. The defense has markedly improved and I disagree with some posters regarding the d-line play. They did get pressure on Beathard and were very stout at the line . I agree the linebackers have yet to make a significant impact but everyone needs to be patient --none of these guys played last year. However, remarkable improvement in the defensive backfield. No broken coverages that I could see and they really shut down Iowa's passing offense. Ky Hester and Bless Austen had excellent games. And on offense I thought the line played very well , opened holes for Martin and other backs , and generally gave Laviano enough time to pass despite Iowa having an excellent line. And I have to give Laviano some credit. I've been very critical of him. And I thought he had a poor first half but it looked like he felt much more comfortable running Rutgers offense in the second half. He still has a long ways to go and will never be the runner that you need in this offense but he has improved. As far as coaching is concerned , tip of the hat to Ash & Co..He knows what it takes to win in the Big Ten. I am a big believer that he will deliver Rutgers to the promised land. Rutgers played smart physical defense, was tough on offense, had few if any bad penalties, was very disciplined and looked like it belonged on the same field with Iowa. Hey , Rutgers may be get smashed by OSU next week but so what ? So is everyone. We're headed in the right direction against a murder schedule . Just think about it --by October 8th, Rutgers will have played OSU, Michigan and Washington. Three teams likely be in the top 6 nationally by then. Especially if Washington beats Stanford Friday nite.

Reactions: G-Bake
I agree with your optimism but quite frankly the score was not the only disappointment. The fact we will most likely be without Grant and Lambert for the season and that Hamilton may have reinjured that knee is more than disappointing, it could be devastating. Many have said we are "devoid" of talent. It is a statement with which I disagree greatly but we are devoid of top quality talented depth. Those three injuries are really &)$(;&::

Let's see if they improved after the next 3 games. They played well yesterday except the qb but we saw a game like this last year at home then it all fell apart. MSU was a close game last year going down to the wire too. The true test is OSU then Michigan and Illinois at home.

OSU and Michigan are not true tests. Both opponents have very high-priced coaches and staff and deep, talented rosters. Illinois is a competitive game. Both Ohio State and Michigan staffs probably have more offensive and defensive analysts than Rutgers has legitimate staff. Alabama and Louisville and Clemson would be true tests for Ohio State and Michigan.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
They are a true test of our improvement if we play well against them because we sure didn't last year. If we don't get crushed by half time and we show we are more physical against them. I am looking for the defense to play well, obviously our offense needs a qb but if this d keeps playing hard and doesn't give up big play after big play I will be happy. Showing improvement from last year and from the Washington game against better opponents. I in no way think we will win but I am hoping the defense keeps playing well.

OSU and Michigan are not true tests. Both opponents have very high-priced coaches and staff and deep, talented rosters. Illinois is a competitive game. Both Ohio State and Michigan staffs probably have more offensive and defensive analysts than Rutgers has legitimate staff. Alabama and Louisville and Clemson would be true tests for Ohio State and Michigan.

He did not mean true tests for OSU and Michigan but rather true tests for our players to see if they can build upon the Iowa game and improve their performances in the OSU and Michigan games.

Wouldn't get your hopes up vs us, we just blew out Oklahoma on the road with pretty much only running up the middle starting half way through the 3rd quarter. Also didn't play very clean, had 11 penalties. So you could improve and still lose by 35.

Sorry for sounding like a dick ://

I like you guys

Reactions: RUonBrain
Wouldn't get your hopes up vs us, we just blew out Oklahoma on the road with pretty much only running up the middle starting half way through the 3rd quarter. Also didn't play very clean, had 11 penalties. So you could improve and still lose by 35.

Sorry for sounding like a dick ://

I like you guys
Who wouldn't like a divisional tune-up game?

I would have felt a lot better if we didn't lose two (maybe 3) of our best players.

Holding Iowa to 14 may sound like a solid performance, it masks the fact that RU gave up over 5 yds per carry on the ground. Not encouraging give the upcoming opponents. Add to that that the play calling for the offense was down right awful and it's hard to come away with very many positives. Also, RU's D always does better against teams that run a Pro-set offense..

The two (2) offensive pass interference calls seemed like pretty stupid penalties to me.

my take was that Iowa isn't a top team this year, corroborated by the Iowa fans I spoke to. but, not a bad loss. played roughly even.

what burns me is the stupid wildcat for two plays then bringing in CL for third and long, on at least two series...never worked with Savage and Sanu, who are both in the pros, and it sure as heck won't work with these QBs. Pick a guy for a set of downs and stick with it.

No cohesion at all.

To me, the disappointment is watching an offense about as enjoyable as a root canal.

I imagine this is what fighting with one hand tied behind your back feels like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT