ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Golf in Hawaii for Dr Donnis Tompson Invitational - Final Results

knightfan7

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2003
Manasquan, NJ
38th Annual event is being played for the first time at The Ocean Course on the island of Lanai starting Sunday. Previously it had been played on Oahu. The 3 day tourney, 10 team field, is led by #16 Arizona State and soon to be B1G member, #31 Washington. At #89, Rutgers is 6th ranked team participating. The lineup has yet to be announced but there's no reason to assume it won't be Leigha Devine, Rikke Nordvik, Cathi Graf, and the Rossettin sisters, Lucrezia and Lorena. Rutgers will be looking to continue improving their ranking after they moved up 11 spots based on the results of the last tourney.

This is the team's 3rd trip to the Far West as they've already competed in California and Arizona. They will also compete in Cali next week before they return to NJ.

BIG10 Rankings as of 3/13

#11 Northwestern
#28 Purdue
#32 Michigan St
#36 Michigan
#39 Ohio St
#41 Maryland
#55 Minnesota
#65 Illinois
#69 Nebraska
#73 Indiana
#74 Wisconsin
#89 RUTGERS
#97 Iowa
#102 Penn St

Future Members

#2 UCLA
#7 USC
#13 Oregon
#31 Washington

There seems to have been a question as to how many teams were scheduled for this event. As of yesterday, the official NCAA scorer showed 10 (and still does). Today, the Arizona State Women's Golf site reports there are 15, including #30 UNC. I went and checked a couple schedules, including UNC and #66 New Mexico and yes, it seems the Official NCAA scorer doesn't have the complete field listed. No big deal as a different site is scoring the tourney and report the results much like Golfstat does when they cover a tourney.

Going thru the ASU site, I found the RU lineup I posted is correct and that Krystal Li and Emily James are also playing. Rutgers will be paired with #80 San Francisco and #142 Morehead St for the 1st Round.

Rutgers is now the 10th ranked out of 15. Counting RU, there are 5 teams from #77 to #89. A good tourney could help the team move up.

Sorry for the mixup. I don't know how this happened. Golfstat adds teams I assume when the teams check in but the new site has the participants in advance. For example, the men are playing at Mizzou the 1st week in April yet teams are already listed on the official site.

Last edited:
After Round 1, Rutgers stands 7th after a team +3 (291). Rutgers was led by Frosh Lorena Rossettin who shot a 3 Under 69. She currently sits Tied for 6th, 3 strokes behind the leader from Texas State. She was followed by her sister, Lucrezia, who shot an Even Par72. Leigha Devine and Cathi Graf shot 75's with Rikke Nordvik a 76. Playing as individuals, Krystal Li shot a 1 Under 71 and Emily James an 84. .

Top 7 after Round 1.

1. #16 Arizona State............-8
2. #88 Sacramento State...-7
3. #30 North Carolina........-6
T4. #31 Washington............-2
T4. #112 Fresno State..........-2
6. #57 Texas State...............+1
7. #89 RUTGERS...................+3

2nd Round is tomorrow with the Final Tuesday.

Round 2 saw Rutgers inprove their team score by 3 strokes, shooting a team 289 (+1) which enabled the team move up 1 position to 6th.. Perhaps the jet lag is wearing off lol.

Rutgers was led by Leigha Devine's 2 Under 70 which included an Eagle on the Par 5 2nd hole, her 17th hole of the day. Devine is T29. Cathi Graf (T40) shot an Even Par 72, Lucrezia Rossettin (T29) a 73, Rikke Nordvik a 74 (T51), and Lorena Rossettin (T21) a 75. Playing as individuals, Krystal Li (T68) shot 82 and Emily James (T93) an 86.

8 time national champion Arizona State is running away with the tourney. All five members of their team are 21st or better, including currently 1st, 2 tied for 3rd, and 7th. For older PGA fans, one member of the team, Grace Summerhays, not only is the younger sister of NCAA Men's #8 player Preston (also ASU) but also the daughter and niece of 2 former Tour members.

Top 7 after 2 rounds

1. #16 Arizona State..................-30
2. #30 North Carolina..............-16
3. #31 Washington.....................-14
4. #88 Sacramento State...........-3
5. #112 Fresno State....................+2
6. #89 RUTGERS..........................+4
7. #57 Texas State.......................+8

In tomorrow's final, RU will be paired with Fresno State, Texas State, and New Mexico.

Last edited:
Once again Rutgers improved their previous day's team score by 3 strokes, shooting a 2 Under 286. It was not enough as the team finished where they started Round 3, in 6th place. Frosh Lorena Rossettin shot her 2nd 69 to finish tied for 10th out of 95 golfers. A Top 10 with some of the teams competing is a very nice accomplishment. Her sister, Lucrezia, contributed a 1 Under 71 finishing T22. Cathi Graf came in with an Even Par 72 and Leigha Devine shot 74 . Both finished T30. Rikke Nordik (T62) shot 75. Playing as Individuals, Krystal Li (T71) shot 75 and Emily James (93) shot 77.

I don't know how much this will affect RU's ranking but we'll know tomorrow

Final Top 8

1. #16 Arizona State...............-42
T2. #30 North Carolina.........-17
T2, #31 Washington...............-17
T4. #88 Sacramento State....-1
T4. #112 Fresno State.............-1
6. #89 RUTGERS.....................+2
7. #66 New Mexico................+6
8. #57 Texas State..................+10

By round, Rutgers had the 7th, T4th and 6th best rounds out of 15 teams. They beat 5 higher ranked teams so it was a decent result.

Before returning to Jersey, next up is a stop in California for the Fresno State Classic Monday - Tuesday. There'll be a couple teams they faced in Hawaii along with #9 Pepperdine.

Last edited:
Once again Rutgers improved their previous day's team score by 3 strokes, shooting a 2 Under 286. It was not enough as the team finished where they started Round 3, in 6th place. Frosh Lorena Rossettin shot her 2nd 69 to finish tied for 10th out of 95 golfers. A Top 10 with some of the teams competing is a very nice accomplishment. Her sister, Lucrezia, contributed a 1 Under 71 finishing T22. Cathi Graf came in with an Even Par 72 and Leigha Devine shot 74 . Both finished T30. Rikke Nordik (T62) shot 75. Playing as Individuals, Krystal Li (T71) shot 75 and Emily James (93) shot 77.

I don't know how much this will affect RU's ranking but we'll know tomorrow

Final Top 8

1. #16 Arizona State...............-42
T2. #30 North Carolina.........-17
T2, #31 Washington...............-17
T4. #88 Sacramento State....-1
T4. #112 Fresno State.............-1
6. #89 RUTGERS.....................+2
7. #66 New Mexico................+6
8. #57 Texas State..................+10

By round, Rutgers had the 7th, T4th and 6th best rounds out of 15 teams. They beat 5 higher ranked teams so it was a decent result.

Before returning to Jersey, next up is a stop in California for the Fresno State Classic Monday - Tuesday. There'll be a couple teams they faced in Hawaii along with #9 Pepperdine.
Very good I think the women's team is really improving as I said the competition is so tough these days

Very good I think the women's team is really improving as I said the competition is so tough these days
Yup. College golf is truly international so the best young players from all over come to the US for the level of competition. RU's women's team hails from Italy (2), Norway, Germany, UK, Canada, and some place called Colorado.

You think about last year when Rose Zhang went from Stanford to winning the first time she played as member of the LPGA or Adrien Dumont de Chassart in the 3 weeks after graduating from Illinois wins and finishes 2nd his first 2 Korn Ferry events.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT