ADVERTISEMENT

The truth about Bolin

Garybredow

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2016
Bolin had -94.1 yards rushing at Louisville. That's his entire career at Louisville.

He used his proximity to Lamar Jackson to position himself as a starting QB.

'If you had to play under the FRESHMAN Heisman trophy winner, you'd transfer too!'

The fact is, he's never been a good QB. He's just really good at PR. He came in, talked a lot, focused on his sales pitch, and Ash bought it hook line and sinker.

Time to move on. Put Gio in, work in Lewis.

dude..you are either Gios father or family member..give it a rest RU, has a lot of problems to fix and QB is just one of them..

Seriously. Bolin is a kid, living in the public eye and doing his best. He must have done some things right coming out of the gate to be selected captain by his teammates.

@Garybredow what is your relationship to Gio, if any?

Reactions: RUhobbit
dude..you are either Gios father or family member..give it a rest RU, has a lot of problems to fix and QB is just one of them..
Lol.. Ok. So all of the other folks that post about wanting to see Gio play must be his cousins? Or maybe I set up a ton of accounts under different names?

RU has TWO main problems: Ash and Bolin. Unfortunately, only the Bolin problem has an easy solution.

Seriously. Bolin is a kid, living in the public eye and doing his best. He must have done some things right coming out of the gate to be selected captain by his teammates.

@Garybredow what is your relationship to Gio, if any?
I posted this already. Keep up man. I'm from Michigan. Gio is a local kid, and more importantly, he's just the better player. What is your relationship to Bolin? You must be his dad since you're defending him.

Regarding Bolin, he IS in the public eye and is open to criticism from the fans. It's part of the job. And frankly, I have no clue how he became a captain. My guess from watching his interviews is that he's just a really good salesman.

Lol.. Ok. So all of the other folks that post about wanting to see Gio play must be his cousins? Or maybe I set up a ton of accounts under different names?

RU has TWO main problems: Ash and Bolin. Unfortunately, only the Bolin problem has an easy solution.
There's way more than 2 problems. I think Kill has been a problem. I don't think Bolin is a superstar by any means but I'd expect him to play better than Gio did last year and I haven't seen that yet. The entire team looked ill- prepared yesterday. They were outcoached and out schemed. That would fall on all the coaches but I'd agree that this is on Ash.

You can't look at Bolin's negative rushing yards unless you pull out sacks which are included in college football rushing stats but don't tell the story of a running QB

I was shocked myself when many posters here said Bolin was the answer merely because he was average at Louisville and had starting experience and played one good game against Fruit U...he is an average QB with a below average arm and average mobility...but clearly everyone on this board is over selling Gio based on one performance against Minny last season (haven't we learned our lessons as a fan base for making judgements based on a small sample size?) and clearly the staff doesn't think Lewis is ready to handle a small playbook to even give him a series to play.

There's way more than 2 problems. I think Kill has been a problem. I don't think Bolin is a superstar by any means but I'd expect him to play better than Gio did last year and I haven't seen that yet. The entire team looked ill- prepared yesterday. They were outcoached and out schemed. That would fall on all the coaches but I'd agree that this is on Ash.
You think Kill "has been a problem" after two games? He is the best coach the team has...what's with the knee jerk reaction?

Reactions: RUforester72
You think Kill "has been a problem" after two games? He is the best coach the team has...what's with the knee jerk reaction?
We scored 13 points against EMU. Any judgment at this point would be a knee jerk reaction.

So far his offense does not pass the eye test. We got outgained by a mid level MAC team. His QB does not look prepared. There is no chemistry with his receivers.

Reactions: winRU
It's amazing how every darn year RU's real problem--not just some guesses at it by fans, but the real problem--is the failure to play the back-up quarterback. It's not the same back-up quarterback every year, but the problem is always, definitely, no-doubt-aboutedly the same. This year's back-up is last year's starter. But nonetheless the failure to play last year's starter and this year's back-up is absofrigginlutely the problem. This isn't a cliched "fans always, always yell for the back-up quarterback as the solution" situation. No. This one is real. Last year, the no-doubt-about-it problem was not playing this year's Middle Tennessee State Tech Southern's back up quarterback (who should definitely now be starting for them) and instead wrongly playing this year's backup. Now when last year's starter and this year's back-up is finally the correct answer, RU doesn't play him. Later this year, when our current back-up quarterback and last year's starter is finally playing and has been for a couple of games, it will abso-undoubted-alutely finally be correct time to play the current starter who then will be the back-up who should finally be starting. But he won't be. And, all the time, the back-up's back-up will be just sitting and yet will also be the most obvious of obvious solutions, and it will dawn on no one on RU's dunderheaded coaching staff to do what all we fans most assuredly understand, which is to play the back-up's back-up

Last edited:
Bolin has terrible foot and arm mechanics. He does not step into throws, fades away, and leaves his front elbow up. I am sure he can make the throws in practice because he is not getting hit.

We have the skill palyers. Our WRs have gotten behind DBs but Bolin not only underthrows balls but he throws the ball VERY late. As soon as the WR is even the ball should be let go but he waits far too long.

My issues with him, and our offense, are these.

Play to Bolin's strength. He has a decent play action and good at making decisions on levels. Play the boot game and have him read half a field.

If he can not run the ball stop calling read zone plays. We leave the backside defensive player unblocked and they do not respect Kyle's ability to run the ball. We look better in single back or the I.

Of course he's the best. He's the one we've seen the least from. Just like Oden was heir apparent until he made a dozen pass attempts.
Oden is a good example of why you don't throw a frosh QB out there when they are not ready.

I'm hesitant to go Lewis for that reason. Then again, the RS is burnt.

It's amazing how every darn year RU's real problem--not just some guesses at it by fans, but the real problem--is the failure to play the back-up quarterback. It's not the same back-up quarterback every year, but the problem is always, definitely, no-doubt-aboutedly the same. This year's back-up is last year's starter. But nonetheless the failure to play last year's starter and this year's back-up is absofrigginlutely the problem. This isn't a cliched "fans always, always yell for the back-up quarterback as the solution" situation. No. This one is real. Last year, the no-doubt-about-it problem was not playing this year's Middle Tennessee State Tech Southern's back up quarterback (who should definitely now be starting for them) and instead wrongly playing this year's backup. Now when last year's starter and this year's back-up is finally the correct answer, RU doesn't play him. Later this year's, when our current back-up quarterback and last year's starter is finally playing and has been for a couple of games, it will abso-undoubted-alutely finally be correct time to play the current starter who then will be the back-up who should finally be starting. But he won't be. And, all the time, the back-up's back-up will be just sitting and yet will also be the most obvious of obvious solutions, and it will dawn on no one on RU's dunderheaded coaching staff to do what all we fans most assuredly understand, which is to play him.
You nailed it.

Play to Bolin's strength. He has a decent play action and good at making decisions on levels. Play the boot game and have him read half a field.

If he can not run the ball stop calling read zone plays. We leave the backside defensive player unblocked and they do not respect Kyle's ability to run the ball. We look better in single back or the I.
Good point here. highlight for Bolin yesterday was the scramble-pass to Mitchell late in the game. Roll him out.

Reactions: sct1111
Oden is a good example of why you don't throw a frosh QB out there when they are not ready.

I'm hesitant to go Lewis for that reason. Then again, the RS is burnt.
It's not burnt technically, he could play a fraction of the season (I forget how long) and get 'hurt' and still red shirt.

Reactions: JCKnight
Bolin has terrible foot and arm mechanics. He does not step into throws, fades away, and leaves his front elbow up. I am sure he can make the throws in practice because he is not getting hit.

We have the skill palyers. Our WRs have gotten behind DBs but Bolin not only underthrows balls but he throws the ball VERY late. As soon as the WR is even the ball should be let go but he waits far too long.

My issues with him, and our offense, are these.

I totally agree, where has the play action been? It's good we establish the run but then use that to our advantage.

Well don't need to Kill Bolin. Its not his fault we continue to have stubborn coaches who won't give him a seat when not playing well.

Clearly his best passes are 10-15 yards over the middle...but most calls are cross field outs and deep bombs.

Don't kill him because Ash won't try Gio...

Reactions: Garybredow
#FreeOdin
#FreeRettig
#FreeGio
#FreeDodd.
#FreeBugsBunny
Spend Money. Hire a proven head Coach who has won at Power Five level prior.

Well don't need to Kill Bolin. Its not his fault we continue to have stubborn coaches who won't give him a seat when not playing well.

Clearly his best passes are 10-15 yards over the middle...but most calls are cross field outs and deep bombs.

Don't kill him because Ash won't try Gio...
Good point.

It's amazing how every darn year RU's real problem--not just some guesses at it by fans, but the real problem--is the failure to play the back-up quarterback. It's not the same back-up quarterback every year, but the problem is always, definitely, no-doubt-aboutedly the same. This year's back-up is last year's starter. But nonetheless the failure to play last year's starter and this year's back-up is absofrigginlutely the problem. This isn't a cliched "fans always, always yell for the back-up quarterback as the solution" situation. No. This one is real. Last year, the no-doubt-about-it problem was not playing this year's Middle Tennessee State Tech Southern's back up quarterback (who should definitely now be starting for them) and instead wrongly playing this year's backup. Now when last year's starter and this year's back-up is finally the correct answer, RU doesn't play him. Later this year, when our current back-up quarterback and last year's starter is finally playing and has been for a couple of games, it will abso-undoubted-alutely finally be correct time to play the current starter who then will be the back-up who should finally be starting. But he won't be. And, all the time, the back-up's back-up will be just sitting and yet will also be the most obvious of obvious solutions, and it will dawn on no one on RU's dunderheaded coaching staff to do what all we fans most assuredly understand, which is to play him.
It's crystal clear.

It's amazing how every darn year RU's real problem--not just some guesses at it by fans, but the real problem--is the failure to play the back-up quarterback. It's not the same back-up quarterback every year, but the problem is always, definitely, no-doubt-aboutedly the same. This year's back-up is last year's starter. But nonetheless the failure to play last year's starter and this year's back-up is absofrigginlutely the problem. This isn't a cliched "fans always, always yell for the back-up quarterback as the solution" situation. No. This one is real. Last year, the no-doubt-about-it problem was not playing this year's Middle Tennessee State Tech Southern's back up quarterback (who should definitely now be starting for them) and instead wrongly playing this year's backup. Now when last year's starter and this year's back-up is finally the correct answer, RU doesn't play him. Later this year, when our current back-up quarterback and last year's starter is finally playing and has been for a couple of games, it will abso-undoubted-alutely finally be correct time to play the current starter who then will be the back-up who should finally be starting. But he won't be. And, all the time, the back-up's back-up will be just sitting and yet will also be the most obvious of obvious solutions, and it will dawn on no one on RU's dunderheaded coaching staff to do what all we fans most assuredly understand, which is to play him.
OP gave you a like. I think you may have been a little too subtle Willis.

Bolin had -94.1 yards rushing at Louisville. That's his entire career at Louisville.

He used his proximity to Lamar Jackson to position himself as a starting QB.

'If you had to play under the FRESHMAN Heisman trophy winner, you'd transfer too!'

The fact is, he's never been a good QB. He's just really good at PR. He came in, talked a lot, focused on his sales pitch, and Ash bought it hook line and sinker.

Time to move on. Put Gio in, work in Lewis.

Best Post this weekend.

Would you forgive some really stupid questions?

1. It seemed to me that I could predict whether we were going to pass or run based on our formation. Am I crazy to think this? And if it is true at all, shouldn't we be doing a lot more play action?

2. It seems to me that we're not running the spread -- at least, I don't see the read option. I gather that's because Bolin can't do it, just as Laviano couldn't do it. I thought the whole reason we used the spread last year (with offensive personnel who had *not* been recruited to play such an offense) was that we wanted to attract recruits who would be good in the spread offense. So why aren't we using the spread this year with the QB-- Gio -- with the most experience running it? Is it just that Mehringer was a spread-offense guy and Kill is not?

I hope these questions make at least a litttle sense.

I totally agree, where has the play action been? It's good we establish the run but then use that to our advantage.

When we ran the boot to Washington I literally had just said, after the previous run, that we need to call a boot with 3 levels right now and bam we did. We tried to go back to it later but Washington screwed up and did not release out.

If Bolin is an average starting qb, then who is a *below average* starting qb?

Good point here. highlight for Bolin yesterday was the scramble-pass to Mitchell late in the game. Roll him out.

To mitchell and to Washington, on the run, were Bolin's best plays.

Gio's games against Illinois and Minnesota last year show me that his ceiling is higher than what we are going to get out of Bolin. With this offense you need some sort of dual threat, Michigan and OSU are gonna tee off on Bolin's lack of mobility and arm strength

Plus we are gonna have Gio and next year too so now is the time to prep for the future. If Gio or Lewis aren't getting the job done then put Bolin back in.

Reactions: redking
Would you forgive some really stupid questions?

1. It seemed to me that I could predict whether we were going to pass or run based on our formation. Am I crazy to think this? And if it is true at all, shouldn't we be doing a lot more play action?

2. It seems to me that we're not running the spread -- at least, I don't see the read option. I gather that's because Bolin can't do it, just as Laviano couldn't do it. I thought the whole reason we used the spread last year (with offensive personnel who had *not* been recruited to play such an offense) was that we wanted to attract recruits who would be good in the spread offense. So why aren't we using the spread this year with the QB-- Gio -- with the most experience running it? Is it just that Mehringer was a spread-offense guy and Kill is not?

I hope these questions make at least a litttle sense.

They aren't stupid questions. What happened to our TE after the 1st quarter? Where are the quick slants and screen passes? Where is the occasional draw play?

And if you are going to bring in Lewis to run the read option why for the love of God do you do it when we are marching down the field with Bolin and for the first time in the game seem to have some momentum?

If you gave me a choice between Bolin with two fractured legs and a broken throwing hand, or Chris Laviano, I'd take Bolin every day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

The quarterback is not the problem here, it's our budget.

If you gave me a choice between Bolin with two fractured legs and a broken throwing hand, or Chris Laviano, I'd take Bolin every day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

Does EMU have a bigger budget then Rutgers?

Why not add a 3rd option.

Laviano is gone; a choice between him and Bolin is a false choice. The question is whether we'd do better with Gio or with Lewis.

Only thing I've definitely learned from this thread is that Gio has his own slyker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT