ADVERTISEMENT

This day in rutgers history

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
September 2, 2006.
Ray Rice rushes for 3 touchdowns and devraun Thompson makes a big goal line stop . Rutgers wins on the road at North Carolina 21-16 to open a historic season that sees rutgers go 11-2, gets nationally ranked, ties for second (third after tie breaker ) in the big East and wins the Texas Bowl .

Great road trip. Driving the RV through the night in the tail-end of a hurricane.
Fun game. Great time. Great way to start that magical season.

I was at that road trip as well. We had a great time. Was a good game and the Thompson play was huge. Met Brian Leonard's parents at the hotel and his mom spent a good amount of time with my kids. Very nice people. I know his dad used to post on the board.

Last edited:
I was at that road trip as well. We had a great time. Was a good game and the Thompson play was huge. Met Brian Leonard's parents at the hotel and his mom spend a good amount of time with my kids. Very nice people. I know his dad used to post on the board.

And Brian was blowing UNC LBs up all day opening holes for Rice.

I was at that road trip as well. We had a great time. Was a good game and the Thompson play was huge. Met Brian Leonard's parents at the hotel and his mom spend a good amount of time with my kids. Very nice people. I know his dad used to post on the board.
I think that his uncle used to post a lot. Amazing game- they made us sweat down the stretch!

Fun trip to Chapel Hill and Kenan Stadium. The game set the tone for that special season.
It really did. Both teams were considered pretty even with good prospects for the season if things broke right. Winning a tough game like that on the road sent us on our way and UNC went in the other direction.

It really did. Both teams were considered pretty even with good prospects for the season if things broke right. Winning a tough game like that on the road sent us on our way and UNC went in the other direction.
I believe the UNC coach got fired after that season and they hired Butch Davis. Butch beat Schiano in the next meeting between the schools in Piscataway in 2008.

Reactions: LC-88 and RUPete
I believe the UNC coach got fired after that season and they hired Butch Davis. Butch beat Schiano in the next meeting between the schools in Piscataway in 2008.
Yup, John Bunting got fired- one of my all-time favorite Eagles. Don't want to remember that 2008 game!

Some of the UNC fans were convinced in 2011 that RU had Amani Toomer playing in Mo Sanu's uniform

Some of the UNC fans were convinced in 2011 that RU had Amani Toomer playing in Mo Sanu's uniform
Carolina fans surrounding us were livid they couldn't stop Sanu. That part of the game was great.

It was my first RU game as a NC resident and about a month after I moved in to my house. I hung my RU flag to start the season and that is how I met my NC State neighbors. They yelled over "Go Rutgers" as we were getting ready to leave for the game.

Reactions: Plum Street
It was my first RU game as a NC resident and about a month after I moved in to my house. I hung my RU flag to start the season and that is how I met my NC State neighbors. They yelled over "Go Rutgers" as we were getting ready to leave for the game.

It's amazing the rivalry there in the Research Triangle. I played lax in college (not RU) and we were in a spring break tourney hosted by UNC and Duke in '75. The country was still not out of the '73 oil embargo recession and our travel budget proved it and we had to stay in the NC State Fairgrounds. We nicknamed it "The Stalag" cause it was straight out of Hogan's Heroes. At night we were bussed into the NC State Student Union. I think we did some bowling. Anyway, on this Thursday night in March we walking out to the bus, and all of a sudden we hear pandemonium in a high rise dorm nearby. Shouting, screaming, it sounded like they were throwing furniture around. We had not been watching television, and the next morning we found out that Syracuse had hit a basket at the buzzer to beat UNC in a Sweet 16 game. They were cheering the UNC loss.

Reactions: 29PAS and beaced
I was playing golf in myrtle the week before. While we're waiting I chat with the starter at Barefoot Landing. We get talking CFB. He's a big Gamecock fan. When I say Rutgers he tells me he's going up for the game with a former UNC player. He tells me he's going to root for RU cause he hates UNC.

Fast forward a year and I'm at Barefoot again. I hear "Hey Rutgers!" It's the guy from the previous year. He told me he had a great time sitting in the middle of all the UNC fans while wearing red. Said he won a few bucks off the game too.

I was playing golf in myrtle the week before. While we're waiting I chat with the starter at Barefoot Landing. We get talking CFB. He's a big Gamecock fan. When I say Rutgers he tells me he's going up for the game with a former UNC player. He tells me he's going to root for RU cause he hates UNC.

Fast forward a year and I'm at Barefoot again. I hear "Hey Rutgers!" It's the guy from the previous year. He told me he had a great time sitting in the middle of all the UNC fans while wearing red. Said he won a few bucks off the game too.
That’s great!

Do all the schools down there just basically hate each other ? Or is one hated more than all of them ?

Do all the schools down there just basically hate each other ? Or is one hated more than all of them ?

It's pure hatred between the 3 Research Triangle schools. After that Duke basketball is hated by everyone, UNC by itself in 2nd place then everyone else.

Reactions: LC-88
September 2, 2006.
Ray Rice rushes for 3 touchdowns and devraun Thompson makes a big goal line stop . Rutgers wins on the road at North Carolina 21-16 to open a historic season that sees rutgers go 11-2, gets nationally ranked, ties for second (third after tie breaker ) in the big East and wins the Texas Bowl .
I was on a plane,coming up to Jersey,earlier in ''06. Met and talked with a rabid UNC fan.Told him to watch out for RU.He would not believe. I hope t hat he remembered our conversation after the game.

I was on a plane,coming up to Jersey,earlier in ''06. Met and talked with a rabid UNC fan.Told him to watch out for RU.He would not believe. I hope t hat he remembered our conversation after the game.

My cousin, who did not grow up in NJ, is a UNC grad. His reaction: "We'll there's always basketball."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT