ADVERTISEMENT

Three ranked in preseason rankings!!

Wait till you see how the youngsters perform before making that judgment because they have no basis on which to rank them
Curious to see how some of the RS or incoming recruits will do... u got anyone u think that will surprise this season??

Wait till you see how the youngsters perform before making that judgment because they have no basis on which to rank them
Good point. Pretty sure Flo doesn't rank true freshmen for exactly this reason. They only rank redshirt freshmen, so they usually have at least some data to go on.

Im not sure why people believe we’ll be unreal in two years and beyond. We don’t have anybody coming in that is a sure thing all American type recruit. This year we’ll be very down but it’s expected and next year Suriano hopefully comes back, but after that it’s really a toss up and the team will really have to live up to expectations that I don’t think they deserve based on recruit rankings. Still very skeptical on future outlook and hopefully this year some of the young guys step up but you have to prove it first

Im not sure why people believe we’ll be unreal in two years and beyond. We don’t have anybody coming in that is a sure thing all American type recruit. This year we’ll be very down but it’s expected and next year Suriano hopefully comes back, but after that it’s really a toss up and the team will really have to live up to expectations that I don’t think they deserve based on recruit rankings. Still very skeptical on future outlook and hopefully this year some of the young guys step up but you have to prove it first
We won’t, unless we keep getting high recruiting class... we just hauled in the #4 recruiting class so if we keep the top talents in state with other high prospect guys is the key to future success..

Reactions: LETSGORU91

We won’t, unless we keep getting high recruiting class... we just hauled in the #4 recruiting class so if we keep the top talents in state with other high prospect guys is the key to future success..
I'm guessing Suriano comes back 2nd semester (similar to what Snyder did) and finishes his college career this coming season.

I agree with the expectations far exceeding our recruiting. We need more elite talent at Suriano and Ashnault levels and higher, but we don't have that on the roster other than maybe 1. This is why I keep posting that we really need to land Ferrari, VanNess and Bouzakis. We need 4x AAs...

Reactions: KidDagger
I'm guessing Suriano comes back 2nd semester (similar to what Snyder did) and finishes his college career this coming season.

I agree with the expectations far exceeding our recruiting. We need more elite talent at Suriano and Ashnault levels and higher, but we don't have that on the roster other than maybe 1. This is why I keep posting that we really need to land Ferrari, VanNess and Bouzakis. We need 4x AAs...

Patience till this class begins to hit the roster.No Guarantees but I am optimistic that next year we will be even better.

Curious to see how some of the RS or incoming recruits will do... u got anyone u think that will surprise this season??

I like Vulakh ,Aragona and Kannaird but they should red shirt except they are beating everyone up in the room.Most importantly winning in tournaments against some stiff competition. Winning wrestle offs is not always the best indicator.

I like Vulakh ,Aragona and Kannaird but they should red shirt except they are beating everyone up in the room.Most importantly winning in tournaments against some stiff competition. Winning wrestle offs is not always the best indicator.
Thanks - it is good to hear that they are beating up guys in the room. Wrestling is such a different animal that they don't have to necessarily red-shirt as freshman as they can save the red-shirt for later.

What weight range are they currently wrestling at?

Also curious as to how Alvarez and Turley look. I loved watching Turley wrestle as his style in high school was like a tornado. I am eager to see how that translates to college.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

Based on recruiting rankings we went unranked in 3 of the past five years which is tough but the new facilities and recent successes should help as evidenced by the #4 class this past year and a good class shaping up in 2020. Based on recruiting/not factoring in development here is where we stand:
125- Nic Aguilar #85 2018
133- Sammy Alvarez #34
141- JoJo Aragona #6
149- Ryan Vulakh #26
157- Robert Kanniard #64
165-
174- Jackson Turley #43
184- Billy Janzer #65 2018
197- Kyle Lightner #69 2018
285-

Looking at just the past two classes, recruiting has been fine. Think about it, there are 80 AA’s each year. You would think a recruit ranked in the 60’s and below has at least a decent shot at NQ several years and AA at least one year assuming good development. We used to lack training partners for these guys to really develop but now we have Downey to help the upper weights, Donny, Ashnault, Meredith in the middle and Graf for the lightweights. Plus Reece. This should help the young guys improve much faster. I think this explains a lot of the optimism plus we have a really good upperweight in Poznanski plus several other excellent recruits coming in in 2020. Do we have the elite talent of OSU or PSU, no but many of the guys above have close to elite talent. I, for one, am very optimistic. AJ Ferrari is at such a weight of need that that would of course be a game changer. But, I’m not going to be crushed if he goes elsewhere.

So if you’re in the room exactly who is beating up whom in the room.....are you saying the new guys are taking it to the holdovers and if so who ...is it first hand viewing or what

Last edited:
So if you’re in the room exactly who is beating up whom in the room.....are you saying thenew guys are taking it to the holdovers and if so who ...is it first hand viewing or what

I think he forgot to put the word ‘if’ in there. Could be wrong.

Sorry I must have missed this somehow but what happened to Suriano?

When you consider how last year's team performed outside of Suriano and Ashnault, it's reasonable to conclude this team won't be nearly as successful. There are talented freshmen but even Ashnault lost plenty of matches his first year. A big positive though, recruiting is on the rise which will give RU wrestling its most balanced line ups in years to come. This may be a true rebuilding year, a rarity for RU fans.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
I am curious to see how Lipari does this year.
Thought he looked good at freestyle and was Graf's workout partner.

I am ready for the season to start!

When you consider how last year's team performed outside of Suriano and Ashnault, it's reasonable to conclude this team won't be nearly as successful. There are talented freshmen but even Ashnault lost plenty of matches his first year. A big positive though, recruiting is on the rise which will give RU wrestling its most balanced line ups in years to come. This may be a true rebuilding year, a rarity for RU fans.
I'd say more than a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT