ADVERTISEMENT

Ticket prices the same for football, but required donation for the lots is up

Black lot is walkable. It’s like the visiting fans tailgate lot. Time to reclaim it.
I've been here holding down the fort...nice to see you Johnny-come-latelies. Take the passes out of the hands of the visiting fans and you got a deal.

So if you, or others, feel that way about attending, it would be beyond dumb for you to attend. And if you do stay home beyond dumb to complain about game day costs! No one is forced to show up. And as for those coaches and staff that earn a bonus, that is in their contract. I doubt you, or anyone else, send them checks the years we do not make a bowl. They work just as hard those years. Stop being petty. One final thought: Bowl Bonuses are a part of college football, just like any year end bonus you may receive from your place of employment.
Oops sorry you were critical of Coach's raise not bonus different issue. The raise he got is for reviving the program to date, not merely a bowl apperance.

At one time I was part of what GS called "the State of Rutgers" where there was a 250 miles radius around stadium. GS wanted to expand fan engagement. That's one way GS expanded attendance 20-25% a year 7 years in a row. I didn't go to RU and I was born into an Army family close to USMA. So I was Army by birth and proximity but RU by choice. I was calling GS on his radio show and I went to RU games and not Army.

Games were a sort of a hassle with 5-6 hours driving round trip but games were fun then (actually the BE was fun then). With Flood and Ash RU was like another team I didn't want to go see. Then RU went B1G and 5-6 hrs in car for blowouts had no appeal given that TV/ISP tech was vastly improved. I had a 32" cathode screen and no DVR in 06.

Right now, unless a game was another RU vs Louisville big game between undefeated teams I cant see casually going to another RU game with long drives, parking hassles etc. I don't care about the band, the cheers etc and games are just better on TV now. I even go to less Army games because I dont like all the endless waiting between breaks.

I have no problem being considered a second or third tier fan but that was the type GS was looking for during first stint. RUs attendance numbers are not so great they can just ignore things like young people not being able to afford things (which will get worse). RU 54 th for game #s.

54 Rutgers

2018-2022 Attendance Average: 32,653.40
5-Year Filled Stadium Capacity 62.25%

Never said it was. You know very well most of this board values parking more than anything else. Rutgers fans love tailgating more than the games at times, especially during lean years.
My question is, what happens when they decide to take that away? Which is going to happen pretty soon. TV might become a better option for most and then Hobbs will bitch about fan support, when he moved them out and priced them out.

Last edited:
When the Yellow Lot disappears for the new Indoor Practice Facility that situation will change dramatically.
Many fans will have to accept the RAC as the primary parking lot.
Blue is also going with the new Lax facility, you're not replacing all those spots on a golf course.

Last edited:
And RU isn’t raising the donation levels because of proximity, density or any other fan experience reason. They just think they can get more money.

So, your average fan goes on the website and sees his renewal form for football

He sees his game tickets prices are the same
He sees the seat license fee/donation is the same
He sends in what ever is required to renew

Later on he finds out the parking donation requirement went up, in some cases by fifty percent, maybe all cases

I seriously doubt that fans would not have renewed getting tickets because of the increase, but you really should know all costs when sending in your first dollars

Huh? It's 3 hours round trip from West Point and surrounding areas to Rutgers Stadium.
Have to add sitting in traffic and parking lot tie-ups.
In the fall, the Palisades is also a nightmare between leaf peepers and Octoberfesters
One night game (UNC) I sat in car a long time just getting out of the lot.
The game wasn't worth it either.

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
Johnson Park is in a massive flood zone. That will never happen and a parking garage costs something like 20k per space to build, also will never happen and tailgating in a parking garage is non-existent.
Probably pushing 25-30k per space in hard costs these days for structured parking. Not any time soon when Busch still has wide open spaces for surface parking. Land is still not particularly constrained at the moment but down the road, after additional facilities construction, it will start getting there. Folks should enjoy it now, still a very favorable arrangement for the close-in lots, because down the line it could eventually become more limited. Just another reality of progress.

Probably pushing 25-30k per space in hard costs these days for structured parking. Not any time soon when Busch still has wide open spaces for surface parking. Land is still not particularly constrained at the moment but down the road, after additional facilities construction, it will start getting there. Folks should enjoy it now, still a very favorable arrangement for the close-in lots, because down the line it could eventually become more limited. Just another reality of progress.
well aware of costs, but as highlighted above if a parking deck is built where purple or silver lot it would be used during week for students and possibly not part of athletics facilities accounting costs and university building budget.. when the majority of blue lot is for a new lacrosse field and yellow to practice facility land will be constrained... also assumption is red and white lots would be used for soccer and lacrosse parking when games are played is sufficent for 5K fans

relying on more buses to shuttle fans to livingston/college ave to alleviate the loss of parking on busch is not a long term benefit for football games...

i would be interested in what percentage of fans just show up at 60 mins or less before the game and just walk into the stadium and not tailgate at there car who pay for the proximity of blue/yellow lots...well aware tailgating in parking garage and constraints, but a close parking facility would appeal to many and im sure is being considered with long term plan of the loss of yellow/blue lot parking...

Reactions: Knight Shift
well aware of costs, but as highlighted above if a parking deck is built where purple or silver lot it would be used during week for students and possibly not part of athletics facilities accounting costs and university building budget.. when the majority of blue lot is for a new lacrosse field and yellow to practice facility land will be constrained... also assumption is red and white lots would be used for soccer and lacrosse parking when games are played is sufficent for 5K fans

relying on more buses to shuttle fans to livingston/college ave to alleviate the loss of parking on busch is not a long term benefit for football games...

i would be interested in what percentage of fans just show up at 60 mins or less before the game and just walk into the stadium and not tailgate at there car who pay for the proximity of blue/yellow lots...well aware tailgating in parking garage and constraints, but a close parking facility would appeal to many and im sure is being considered with long term plan of the loss of yellow/blue lot parking...
It's definitely not being considered.

This isn't 2007. Rutgers isn't coming off any sort of historic or even notable season and did not legitimately sell out a single game last year. Several home games were very poorly attended, in fact, no matter what silly numbers were released by the athletic department.

The Pinstripe Bowl win was a nice way to end the season following the disappointment of finishing 6-6 after a 6-2 start. Some fans are indeed excited about that win and good for them. But if the RU athletic department thinks there's some sort of burst of fans suddenly clamoring for season tickets, they're WAY off in their judgment. It would take a 10-win season with a major marquee victory to get anywhere close to where this program was post-2006 in terms of fan engagement.

i think the light blue and tan will be more in demand as folks will not want to take the bus to the RAC.....

they could solve the parking reduction with a number of steps
easy: ask the county to expand johnson park parking further down river road.
diffcult: build a 2-3 story parking garage where the tennis courts are and incorporate a restaurant bar in Hale Center for revenue to pay for the parking garage area... not sure what will be in Hale center when football moves to new practice facility...
wishful thinking: new practice facility includes a parking garage that make up for 1/3 or 1/2 of the parking in yellow lot...

i would really benefit the school to put a parking garage where purple lot is as this could be utilized during the week for commuting students and for 7 weekends for gameday parking...
Parking garages don't lend themselves well to tailgating.

Parking garages don't lend themselves well to tailgating.
It sucks, but it's possible. I tailgated in a parking garage at Maryland, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. At Maryland, we were able to get a spot on the top of the garage, so it was like open air. At Cincy and Pitt, we put the grill against the wall so the smoke naturally flowed out. Not ideal, but where there's a will, there's a way.

Reactions: Jimpeg
It sucks, but it's possible. I tailgated in a parking garage at Maryland, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. At Maryland, we were able to get a spot on the top of the garage, so it was like open air. At Cincy and Pitt, we put the grill against the wall so the smoke naturally flowed out. Not ideal, but where there's a will, there's a way.
same at Pitt and also a top level deck at WVU behind the bank ...again this would appeal to the folks that do not tailgate for 5 hours or just need a place to park and walk in. or gather with others on another lot...
and the cost could be lessen by being utilized during the rest of the year by students/faculty/administration day parking....another location could be the old alley/wooded area and the intramural fields on circle and the other turf field intramural field...

same at Pitt and also a top level deck at WVU behind the bank ...again this would appeal to the folks that do not tailgate for 5 hours or just need a place to park and walk in. or gather with others on another lot...
and the cost could be lessen by being utilized during the rest of the year by students/faculty/administration day parking....another location could be the old alley/wooded area and the intramural fields on circle and the other turf field intramural field...
Isn't the College Ave Parking Deck a pay lot for football? $25 per game? It's "only" 1.4 miles to the stadium.

When we went to the Wisconsin game, we paid $70 to park about the same distance from Camp Randall. I later found out that I could have paid at the deck for $35 or $40, but live and learn.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Isn't the College Ave Parking Deck a pay lot for football? $25 per game? It's "only" 1.4 miles to the stadium.

When we went to the Wisconsin game, we paid $70 to park about the same distance from Camp Randall. I later found out that I could have paid at the deck for $35 or $40, but live and learn.
ive done that walk and the walkways are not ideal yes "only" 1.4 miles.........the fact having the parking deck on college ave that's used year round would be the equivalent of having something on Busch "down the road" ... i had a friend that parked a few times on river road on the other side of 27 near the "fairgrounds?" ...he noted the security and administration park there on game day...

ive done that walk and the walkways are not ideal yes "only" 1.4 miles.........the fact having the parking deck on college ave that's used year round would be the equivalent of having something on Busch "down the road" ... i had a friend that parked a few times on river road on the other side of 27 near the "fairgrounds?" ...he noted the security and administration park there on game day...
Do you mean the other side or 18, by the horse track and the petting zoo?

That used to be free parking for emergency services workers, but that got discontinued. We parked there for a few years, and the walk was not bad, but a little iffy on River Rd.
1.4 miles is a bit long for a lot of folks, and it does take 30 minutes walking at a leisurely pace. Agree there could be a deck somewhere.

The home run of an idea for the new Field House would be to have it raised level withe outdoor practice fields and have a parking deck underneath. That maximizes the use of that area where the tennis courts used to be, gets plenty of parking for the football staff during the week, and preserves the Yellow and Blue Lots. It's a win-win. It also puts the practice fields very close to the Hale Center, etc.

Do you mean the other side or 18, by the horse track and the petting zoo?

That used to be free parking for emergency services workers, but that got discontinued. We parked there for a few years, and the walk was not bad, but a little iffy on River Rd.
1.4 miles is a bit long for a lot of folks, and it does take 30 minutes walking at a leisurely pace. Agree there could be a deck somewhere.

The home run of an idea for the new Field House would be to have it raised level withe outdoor practice fields and have a parking deck underneath. That maximizes the use of that area where the tennis courts used to be, gets plenty of parking for the football staff during the week, and preserves the Yellow and Blue Lots. It's a win-win. It also puts the practice fields very close to the Hale Center, etc.
yes to horse track... the highlighted above, along with the topography and close proximity the stadium would be the taj mahl version where all of the parking associated with the football facility would be were tennis courts are along with a couple hundred overflow and keep the yellow lot in tack.

the below is what Texas is doing which obviously you have the money (70 million cost) anything is possible this facility incorporates underground parking under the practice field and is needed because the facility is next to the stadium..
https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...s-longhorns-practice-facility-images-location

i know we are a decade or more away, but if the stadium is ever enlarged by 15K parking will have to be addressed in some fashion...

Reactions: RUnTeX
yes to horse track... the highlighted above, along with the topography and close proximity the stadium would be the taj mahl version where all of the parking associated with the football facility would be were tennis courts are along with a couple hundred overflow and keep the yellow lot in tack.

the below is what Texas is doing which obviously you have the money (70 million cost) anything is possible this facility incorporates underground parking under the practice field and is needed because the facility is next to the stadium..
https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...s-longhorns-practice-facility-images-location

i know we are a decade or more away, but if the stadium is ever enlarged by 15K parking will have to be addressed in some fashion...
As an aside, the Bubble referenced at the bottom of that article was fashioned after the Rutgers bubble but is actually smaller. When I saw it go up in 2002 while I was in school down in Austin, I knew it looked familiar but they didn't have the land area to build it as large. I heard that when Texas came to Piscataway in 1999 they liked the Rutgers one and Mack Brown wanted to have a similar indoor facility. It's also not as close or conveniently located near their stadium, but looks like after 20+ years they will finally remedy that situation and sandwich this new facility in between various other athletics facilities and closer to the stadium.

The UT-Austin campus is rather compact. The place was always absolutely crawling with students between class periods and that's from 20 years and 10-15K fewer students ago.

From your link:
FttYIiuXgAID3t3

Total hack job here, but it's a perfect fit, just change the orange to scarlet and the names/logo.

S8MM2aj.jpg

At one time I was part of what GS called "the State of Rutgers" where there was a 250 miles radius around stadium. GS wanted to expand fan engagement. That's one way GS expanded attendance 20-25% a year 7 years in a row. I didn't go to RU and I was born into an Army family close to USMA. So I was Army by birth and proximity but RU by choice. I was calling GS on his radio show and I went to RU games and not Army.

Games were a sort of a hassle with 5-6 hours driving round trip but games were fun then (actually the BE was fun then). With Flood and Ash RU was like another team I didn't want to go see. Then RU went B1G and 5-6 hrs in car for blowouts had no appeal given that TV/ISP tech was vastly improved. I had a 32" cathode screen and no DVR in 06.

Right now, unless a game was another RU vs Louisville big game between undefeated teams I cant see casually going to another RU game with long drives, parking hassles etc. I don't care about the band, the cheers etc and games are just better on TV now. I even go to less Army games because I dont like all the endless waiting between breaks.

I have no problem being considered a second or third tier fan but that was the type GS was looking for during first stint. RUs attendance numbers are not so great they can just ignore things like young people not being able to afford things (which will get worse). RU 54 th for game #s.

54 Rutgers

2018-2022 Attendance Average: 32,653.40
5-Year Filled Stadium Capacity 62.25%
Just wow. With that attitude and interest why in the world are you even posting on this board Sad

Compare our prices to the competition, and you’ll find our pricing is very reasonable. The Scarlet Lot equivalent at Michigan requires a $25K donation. The university of Florida equivalent is a $50K donation. Football Success requires resources and football tickets and donations are one of the few levers the department has to pull.

We’re paying for a better product.
Did we pay less for a lesser product the last 10 years? Nope. Price wasn't reduced for crappy play on the field.
If Rutgers listen to this board there would never even be a seat fee, never a parking pass increase, nothing.

It's supply/demand. All anyone ever does on this board is gush about how the value is in the parking. Well, Rutgers agrees and bumped it up. It's not the end of the world if you don't want to increase your donation and get bumped out 1 lot more. We have an insane amount of close parking near the stadium.
It's a money grab for a .500 regular season record. It's a price gouge.

They called me about tickets a year ago. We hashed out the details via email. When I sent the email to the agent to buy never heard from her again. Brielle ODonnell was the representative. Email was sent to her twice to purchase in February 2023.
No response. Just looked it up I have all the emails.

Kind of hard to sell tickets like that.

Reactions: RULegacy
Did we pay less for a lesser product the last 10 years? Nope. Price wasn't reduced for crappy play on the field.

It's a money grab for a .500 regular season record. It's a price gouge.
Price gouge at a sporting event? No way.

From your link:
FttYIiuXgAID3t3

Total hack job here, but it's a perfect fit, just change the orange to scarlet and the names/logo.

S8MM2aj.jpg

your snagit acumen is commendable..

I do have a question the astroturf field that lacrosse practices on now that is next to the 2 grass fields in the Marco practice facility who will use that field when lacrosse gets a complex? i remember 15 years ago watching the lacrosse games early in the year on those metal stands, but is that field used by football as a 3rd practice field?

could the enclosed field house be on that astroturf field and the administrative/lockers rooms for the practice facility be on the white parking lot lot or where tennis courts are? ...essentailly if you are building an enclosed practice facility what use will that turf field have? also i think we all agree that the new football enclosure will be football only and not used by other sports so exisitng bubble will remain..

A L shaped football facility overlooking the existing 2 practice fields that encloses the turf field would look nice and have a great view of the faciltiies..... one of the items i don't like about Rodkin Center is there should have been a larger second floor balcony overlooking the facilities....

your snagit acumen is commendable..

I do have a question the astroturf field that lacrosse practices on now that is next to the 2 grass fields in the Marco practice facility who will use that field when lacrosse gets a complex? i remember 15 years ago watching the lacrosse games early in the year on those metal stands, but is that field used by football as a 3rd practice field?

could the enclosed field house be on that astroturf field and the administrative/lockers rooms for the practice facility be on the white parking lot lot or where tennis courts are? ...essentailly if you are building an enclosed practice facility what use will that turf field have? also i think we all agree that the new football enclosure will be football only and not used by other sports so exisitng bubble will remain..

A L shaped football facility overlooking the existing 2 practice fields that encloses the turf field would look nice and have a great view of the faciltiies..... one of the items i don't like about Rodkin Center is there should have been a larger second floor balcony overlooking the facilities....
I lost sleep last night thinking I was going to get annihilated for that hack job. But that Texas facility with the underground area (assume it is for parking) is awesome. I envision that the field house could be connected from that level to the Hale Center.

I have no idea about the lacrosse field and where that complex is planned. The thing that makes sense about the fieldhouse (assuming they can fit it in) is that it fills a space that is currently basically dead space right now (there is only the Brown lot and overflow parking where the tennis courts used to be). That makes sense on paper and to us fans, but there are a lot of other considerations.

Does anyone know if donation levels/priority points will be used to give access to basketball season tickets? Could give more incentive to increase donations if it allows access to more premium lots AND increases your chances to get basketball season tickets (which as we know are expected to be well over sold next season).

Season ticket prices haven't been raised materially since 2015. Bad play on the field or not, a decade is an incredibly long time to not touch ticket pricing, especially in a major conference. I guarantee there isn't a P4 AD in the country that wouldn't advise against that. Scaling season ticket pricing up and down based on on-field results sets a bad precedent and would further cripple an ailing program in down years. Could Rutgers have withstood 15-20% less in ticket revenue between 2016 and 2022? The margins on our football program were/are already razor thin.

Parking is the commodity and as many here have stated, Rutgers knows it. Nobody wants to pay more, but raising the donation minimums isn't stupid in business practice. It's no secret that the fundraising arm of athletics is where they need the most help.

Last edited:
My tickets are up $10 per game to $64. 448 per season plus 200 seat fee + 7 for shipping and handling. So since I have 2 tickets, the damage is 1303. Last year my seasons were 384 per.

The site says parking info will be available at a later date.
How much shipping is involved with eTickets?

Reactions: rurichdog
I hope people talking about parking decks realize the issue will definitely get some relief once the monorail is put in, as they can use the parking on College Ave for tailgating and then hop on a 10 minute ride to reach the stadium.

Things like that are why I say the minimum wins for a bowl bid should be 7 games and not 6.
Teams have mediocre 6 win seasons and then ticket/parking prices go up and staff gets thousands in raises etc.

Its kind of a racket tbh
All of college football is a racket now.

Reactions: ashokan
I hope people talking about parking decks realize the issue will definitely get some relief once the monorail is put in, as they can use the parking on College Ave for tailgating and then hop on a 10 minute ride to reach the stadium.
is that the one that it is suppose to let out when where they plan to construct the birthplace canal

Reactions: RULegacy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT