ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Lemming has RU's class ranked 59th...

devoted2ru

All American
Nov 27, 2006
Some of his comments:

"I have them ranked 59th nationally, which is pretty good all things considered,'' Lemming told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday afternoon, as the dust settled on a Rutgers football recruiting class that includes 17 high school prospects and two immediately eligible graduate transfers. "I've seen a lot of their guys in person during my travels. I think they found some good athletes. So overall, considering (Ash) really only had from the time he got hired until mid-January (to recruit), I like what Rutgers did in such a short period of time.''

"I know some people have them ranked real low. That's because they don't know who these players are,'' Lemming said. - But "I've seen most of them,'' added Lemming, the co-host of the Lemming Report on CBS Sports Network, who is in his 37th year as editor of the Prep Football Magazine known nationally as the Bible of Recruiting. "In a short period of time I thought Rutgers did an excellent job and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do next year with a full year to get after it, with a young staff that seems to be very hungry. I see a big future for Rutgers. I think he's going to build a brand there. I don't think there's any doubt about it.''

Some of his comments:

"I have them ranked 59th nationally, which is pretty good all things considered,'' Lemming told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday afternoon, as the dust settled on a Rutgers football recruiting class that includes 17 high school prospects and two immediately eligible graduate transfers. "I've seen a lot of their guys in person during my travels. I think they found some good athletes. So overall, considering (Ash) really only had from the time he got hired until mid-January (to recruit), I like what Rutgers did in such a short period of time.''

"I know some people have them ranked real low. That's because they don't know who these players are,'' Lemming said. - But "I've seen most of them,'' added Lemming, the co-host of the Lemming Report on CBS Sports Network, who is in his 37th year as editor of the Prep Football Magazine known nationally as the Bible of Recruiting. "In a short period of time I thought Rutgers did an excellent job and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do next year with a full year to get after it, with a young staff that seems to be very hungry. I see a big future for Rutgers. I think he's going to build a brand there. I don't think there's any doubt about it.''

-----
I'll take it!

Some of his comments:

Shhhhhhhh. Don't tell the Ash "witch hunt" patrol on this board that there might be a slim amount of positive in this class or it might ruin their mojo.

Wow! not trying to spin anything just trying to get a little balance in the assessment of the class, bad or good it's just one mans opinion although some are more knowledgeable than others.

We all know how flawed the star system and Lemming is, if its right 60% of the time they are lucky. That said I just opened the window for the negatoids to chime in.
But this observation by Lemming is a sound one, as I held that believe before Ash got to Jersey.
All the asswipes who wish to denigrate, a very good, maybe great coach on the rise go right ahead. your negative words well pale in light of our changes coming.
I can not stop the troll/ledger pissers. Time will prove who is right.
But read up on all the young men just recruited and not one barnwell ass hole among them.
Yes only 17 recruits but give me quality not just bodies

Last edited:
wow. 59TH is being spun as a positive.
Why not....its only a number....how acclaimed was Ray Rices class i wonder...Boise and a few others had done very well with much lower rated classes...''no one knows where the nose goes when the door is closed''...of course i'd love to hear its a top 15 or 20 class full of bright stars...it's what we have to work with..now its time to work..

Thanks for posting the article. Last year's class at Michigan was 50th. This year it is 4th nationally.

I believe Coach Ash will make a big jump next year in recruiting. (Not as much as Michighan but a substantial jump).

Last edited:
Reactions: Underdogs88
as wheezer said --this is about him actually seeing these players rather than a typical fan's bloated opinion based on ratings

Reactions: NickyNewark51
In the article he also said Sneed was a sleeper. Not sure how the highest rated recruit is a sleeper but it was interesting to hear.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
FYI:

Rivals Class Ranking 76th
Average Star Rating - 2.63
Schools Ahead of RU With Lower Rating - 15
Rivals Average Star Rating - 61st

...Lemming is on to something fellas. No, not trying to "spin" anything, 61st is still 61st, just making a pointing something out.

Reactions: thad23
I still wish that the NFL would start a true development league,but those owners continue to chase the easy money of Monday and Thursday night games instead of having their minor league teams play on the first 4 nights of the week.

Doing that would enable them to draft the 4 and 5 star players to even out the level of competition.

I will GLADLY take the 59th ranked class this season with Coach Ash over the 40th ranked class with a returning Coach Flood. Let's go, C.A$H!

I still wish that the NFL would start a true development league,but those owners continue to chase the easy money of Monday and Thursday night games instead of having their minor league teams play on the first 4 nights of the week.

Doing that would enable them to draft the 4 and 5 star players to even out the level of competition.

What you suggest would be the end of college football. Yes Rutgers would be more competitive but no one would care. If owners and the NFL started a minor league you would basically reduce college football to an intramural sport. Remember 178lbs football? I don't either but I heard that during the 30's and 40's it once existed.

What you suggest would be the end of college football. Yes Rutgers would be more competitive but no one would care. If owners and the NFL started a minor league you would basically reduce college football to an intramural sport. Remember 178lbs football? I don't either but I heard that during the 30's and 40's it once existed.

I disagree, because most of football fandom is built solely around emotional investment around the city or institution the team represents....and those do not change.

A developmental league would feature great young talent, but it would only get emotional investment from people obsessive about the game.....even if they had six regional developmental teams and put them in cities without NFL clubs, the league would not be marketed for ticket sales or covered as a regular league would be. The emphasis would be on the draft potential of the players.

It would be nice Tuesday night sports programming for football die-hards.....enough to make it worthwhile, but never a national obsession that takes away from college football.

Last edited:
I disagree, because most of football fandom is built solely around emotional investment around the city or institution the team represents....and those do not change.

A developmental league would feature great young talent, but it would only get emotional investment from people obsessive about the game.....even if they had six regional developmental teams and put them in cities without NFL clubs, the league would not be marketed for ticket sales or covered as a regular league would be. The emphasis would be on the draft potential of the players.

It would be nice Tuesday night sports programming for football die-hards.....enough to make it worthwhile, but never a national obsession that takes away from college football.
1989x: listen to me. If you create a football minor league college football will go the way of college baseball. You will witness 17,000 seat stadiums. You will have a reduction in scholarships to 30, maybe 40. However, there is merit to what you're saying. Many people feel the system is rigged, where schools who can pour hundreds of millions into sports win. Do you really think that SEC and B12 schools will roll over and allow minor league teams to recruit the best athletes, of course not! You will need some sort government intervention mandating the NCAA to impose strict academic standards. This is where the conversation gets very touchy.

This year's recruiting wasn't very good, but it's nice to see a positive spin put on it.
Lemming saying:> "In a short period of time I thought Rutgers did an excellent job and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do next year with a full year to get after it, with a young staff that seems to be very hungry. I see a big future for Rutgers. I think he's going to build a brand there. I don't think there's any doubt about it.''< gives (me) some hope that this year's recruiting wasn't as bad as some might think.

I'll take a positive take on a bad situation anytime over the doom and gloom feeling that comes with looking at everything from a negative outlook.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Of course, we'd all rather have a higher rated class, but given the starting point, Lemming's comments are pretty good. And how can you not like the closing statement...

"I see a big future for Rutgers. I think he's going to build a brand there. I don't think there's any doubt about it.''

wow. 59TH is being spun as a positive.

After finishing with a record of 4-8 including many complete blowouts ...
After having 5 players kicked off the team for armed robbery or aggravated assault;
After the coach is suspended for 2 games for violating University policy;
After the star wide receiver is arrested for assault and suspended for 2 games;
After the head coach and his entire staff is fired;
After the AD is fired;
After half the sports world, once again, called Rutgers football a dumpster fire;

Yes, it is a good thing, and no small miracle, that a reputable football analyst considers this years recrutiing class as high as 59th in the country.

Reactions: Ataylor1989x

You would then simply get the trickle down effect. Where schools like Alabama, Ohio St., Clemson would then get the top 3 star players not invited and teams like us would get 2 star and nonrated players. The level of play would diminish but fans of the schools would still be interested. That is until the developmental league took off or it turned into the next World league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT